Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 03:32 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times

Advertisements

Don't want to lose either one, what happens if Fenty loses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 06:15 AM

104 posts, read 253,020 times
Depends on who beats him. Right now nobody is in the race.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:16 PM

999 posts, read 2,011,048 times
At the rate things are going for Fenty, he is very vulnerable to challengers (hello Vincent Gray). If he loses, I suspect there will be some changes at the management level.

I doubt Police Chief Lanier will be fired despite her Gestapo tactics in the Trinidad neighborhood. Lanier knows how to play the political games with the DC Council and neighborhood advisory groups.

DC Schools Chancellor, Michelle Rhee, is another story though. She is becoming increasingly unpopular with school teachers because of her "My Way or the Highway" approach. She is also losing support from members of the African-American community in the District. Since most of the parents are African-American, she has quite a public approval deficit to climb out of. Not to mention that she hasn't reached out to the DC Council either.

However, I hope the next mayor of DC will retain Rhee's services since she is still carrying out reforms in the school district. If she fails in a couple of years then can her.

I sincerely hope Peter Nickles gets kicked to the curb though.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:20 PM

741 posts, read 2,780,661 times
Vincent Gray needs to run...

Old 02-22-2010, 04:42 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,967 times
I'm really hoping Fenty loses and I have a feeling that he will. I'm just not a fan of many things that he does. Being a city employee, he has a lot of effect on my career. I don't want to get into it on here since I don't want anyone to find out who I am, especially since most of you know my job, but Fenty losing could have a HUGE effect on someone in my job that could really change it for the better.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:11 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,239 times
Hope Vincent Gray runs, he has my vote.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:20 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,797,363 times
I live in MD, but native DC'er. I like Linear and Rhee. I believe both should keep their jobs. DCPS need a overhaul. As well as DC police.

I saw a guy on the news, saying he may run. Sorry, can't remember his name (black candidate). He said, if he win, he will fire Linear and Rhee.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:26 PM

999 posts, read 2,011,048 times
Fenty is increasingly unpopular with African-American voters in DC. If he can't get the black vote in Wards 5, 6, 7 and 8, he is going down in the Democratic primary. Ward 3 cannot save Fenty at this point.

This all goes back to the Anthony Williams era when there was a concerted effort between the mayor's office and the real estate developers to gentrify many neighborhoods that were home to black families for many decades. Former mayor Williams opened the doors for the development of new condo properties in once run down areas like Logan Circle, U Street corridor and the NoMa district near Union Station. The goal was to attract professional singles (gay and straight) or childless married couples who make well above the area median income to move into The District from the suburbs.

Congratulations...Williams and Fenty. You have managed to boost the tax revenue for The District but at the price of wiping out African-American residents.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:41 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Congratulations...Williams and Fenty.
Yes, congratulations. Homicide rate's down 70% since the year Williams took office. But let's just bring back Marion Barry.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:59 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,155,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Fenty is increasingly unpopular with African-American voters in DC. If he can't get the black vote in Wards 5, 6, 7 and 8, he is going down in the Democratic primary. Ward 3 cannot save Fenty at this point.

This all goes back to the Anthony Williams era when there was a concerted effort between the mayor's office and the real estate developers to gentrify many neighborhoods that were home to black families for many decades. Former mayor Williams opened the doors for the development of new condo properties in once run down areas like Logan Circle, U Street corridor and the NoMa district near Union Station. The goal was to attract professional singles (gay and straight) or childless married couples who make well above the area median income to move into The District from the suburbs.

Congratulations...Williams and Fenty. You have managed to boost the tax revenue for The District but at the price of wiping out African-American residents.
Back in the pre-Williams/Fenty era there were plenty of affluent blacks leaving the city. That was due to the failing services of the city. Becoming a black slum was not in anyone's interest. Given that 54% of the city is still black, I'm not sure the black population in the district is really at risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: