Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 01:31 PM

10 posts, read 17,054 times

Advertisements

I am going to be having an internship in the summer and wondering, during my free time, what is enjoyable to do in the city? And how is the commute to the city and best course of action of getting there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 02:37 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Where are you gonna be working and where are you gonna be living?

Old 03-10-2010, 05:37 PM

I am guessing just on the outskirts of the city, but very close. I don't know of the exact locations as of yet. But would just like various places of interest.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:01 PM

150 posts, read 595,856 times
what institution are you interning for?

Old 03-10-2010, 07:14 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Okay well generally commuting from the suburbs into the city is more painful than from the city into the suburbs.

If you're going from the suburbs to the city, there's no real "best" course of action, just the least painful. You're basically choosing between anthrax and ebola. The Metro is cheaper than driving, but if you're going to be in Arlington taking the Orange Line, it's gonna be packed during rush hour. Whereas being out in Fairfax near the Vienna Metro station (it's the Western terminus of the Orange Line) you'll usually find a seat. But then you're also gonna have a longer commute time. Driving generally sucks... I-66 is a parking lot.

What's fun to do... hmm... go see the monuments and museums for one. Even as a 15 year resident I still enjoy doing that. Are you 21+? Hit up some bars in Dupont Circle or U Street or Adams Morgan. See a show at one of the many theaters. Go for a bike ride on the Mount Vernon trail.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:29 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times
What CAN'T you do here? It would help if you shared some of your interests. Do you like going out to bars and clubs? Museums and art galleries? Outdoor activities? Readings and lectures? Live music performances? There's something for everyone here, so if you give us a bit to go on I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:59 PM

I typically like the museums and art galleries, love going on hikes as there are mountains by where I live. I also love the ideas of lectures and live music!

Old 03-10-2010, 10:00 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Quote:
I am guessing just on the outskirts of the city, but very close. I don't know of the exact locations as of yet. But would just like various places of interest.
The outskirts of the city are not 'very close'. It is an oxymoron. The furthest suburbs will require a car for commuting. Some nearer suburbs have metro access. Most neighborhoods within the District are well-served for the daily commute by either metro or bus. And of course, the length of time depends on which suburb you choose and where you are going. A commute from Arlington to Georgetown could take fifteen minutes. A commute from Springfield to Rockville could take 90 minutes.

Museums: The Smithsonian, obviously. Take your pick, they have 16 museums (all free).

Hiking: Rock Creek Park is a obvious choice within the city. There are other sources of 'nature' in the area, such as the C&O canal, but they don't necessarily involve 'hiking' per se.

Music: The Kennedy Center has music recitals of varying kinds every day. It is called the "Millenium Stage" and you can look on their website to see what is playing every day. Also, the National Gallery of Art offers jazz at their outdoor sculpture garden (with a lovely wading pool to cool your tootsies on a hot humid summer's day).

Lectures: The smithsonian offers all kinds. You may also want to follow the Daily Candy DC for other events such as those at bookstores.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:45 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,382,966 times
Bus is an option too, depending on where in the "outskirts" you're referring to. I got from Alexandria to Foggy Bottom (including a transfer at the Pentagon) in about 45 minutes in the morning.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:27 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Look into any of the outdoor movies that are shown in the summer. Screen on the Green is the most popular (on the National Mall), but is once again having budget issues this year. Most have some sort of "theme" to the movies they choose to show. Last year in addition to SotG there were also movies shown in Crystal City (superheroes), Rosslyn ('80s), and the Navy Yard area (also '80s).

Try to meet people and get a trip to go whitewater rafting in West Virginia or go hiking in Shenandoah.

There are also some interesting social/recreational sports leagues. Kickball is very popular, but there's also bocce, soccer, and softball. I'm sure there are others, but those are just the ones I know about.

In the summer there are usually outdoor concerts in Farragut Square (in addition to jazz in the Sculpture Garden), and I think I also saw something in the zoo last year. During the day there's also live music in Wilson Plaza (just outside the Reagan Building at 13th & Pennsylvania) if you're in the neighborhood. It makes for a good place to sit during lunch.

They're not the best team in the world, but I still like going to Nationals games. It's easy to get cheap seats and just hang out on a nice night to watch the game.

(My god, I can't wait for summer!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC