Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 08:23 PM

207 posts, read 536,067 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I posted a few months ago about moving to DC, VA, MD area. Posted about finding places, going without my car and rental prices, transportation, blah, blah, blah....

I've applied to jobs in the DC area ad nauseum and while I received several calls and had phone interviews, nothing ever panned out. I had people seem very interested only to not call back.

I'm starting to think its because I'm not in the area. Of course it's easier to hire someone in town than out of town.

At this point, I had to make 2 back up plans, moving to Louisiana or Florida. (They accept Michigan certification like DC does)

But DC is the place I really want to be. Not really big on living south, don't care about the change of seasons and frankly from living in Chicago for a few years, I like the buzz of a "busy town".

I loved the functional look and feel to DC, yeah many cities have that, but some less than others. I know I only visited once but it had a profound affect on me.

So my question is, should I just rent a room and move there anyway just to see if I can make it?? Hey if I don't find a gig in a few months, I can move back home, no harm no foul.

But I think things would go better if I were able to get to all the jobs that I've applied for and the call backs would be more frequent if I wasn't so far away.

I'm coming for a week long visit first week of April but thinking that I should just come in June and stay all summer just to see if I can work things out with employment.

I don't know. What do you all think?? Just looking for some thoughts.

Yes, I finally settled on a great apt in Takoma Park for me and the dog, yes I'm still coming without my car and yes I plan to take public transportation or rent a Zip car when I need it. And I know that Takoma Park is actually close to Silver Springs, so I can get to a Target there. LOL.

Got my living, my trans, my shopping all worked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 07:07 AM

1,777 posts, read 2,370,243 times
I think you should go for it, especially if you have the cash to live on for a few months and have the means to leave if you can't find a job. By your screen name I assume you're a teacher. How difficult is it to get certification in Virginia or Maryland? If you could do that it seems your chances of getting a job would increase if you can apply to more jurisdictions. Good luck.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
I think you should go for it, especially if you have the cash to live on for a few months and have the means to leave if you can't find a job. By your screen name I assume you're a teacher. How difficult is it to get certification in Virginia or Maryland? If you could do that it seems your chances of getting a job would increase if you can apply to more jurisdictions. Good luck.
Already done it. Applied to Virginia and DC, Maryland is next but the application fees, OMG. Expensive. I can certainly put the money together within the next 3 months and just rent a room and give myself 90 days to make something happen. Just need to be there so when calls start to roll in, all I'll have to do is catch a metro or cab there, not fly in.

Thanks. I'm certainly going to visit for a week next month, maybe something will happen then. Thanks.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:42 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,211,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
I can second the motion to get certification in VA and MD. Although will say that then you might need a car though and commuting from Takoma Park to VA will be a bear at best. And many parts of the suburban school districts will be impossible to get to without a car. So I would say that you should hold onto your car until you know which school you will be working at.

Do you know anyone in the DC area? If you do put their address on your resume. Even if you have to explain that you are currently in the Detroit area at the moment I promise you will get more attention. Also it provides a built-in reason why you're moving. Oh you have a cousin in PG county I see now. It turns out I have a cousin in Manassas that I had never met him before moving up here. So who knows? Although with the state of the economy it shouldn't come as a shock that someone would start sending out job applications from out-of-state.

I applied for a couple jobs in the DC area a couple years ago and was told that I was the best candidate for a job but they wouldn't hire me because they needed someone who could start immediately versus waiting for me to pack up and move. I was a substitute teacher, and as I'm sure you know, subs don't get paid in the summer. It was the last day of school when I got the call telling me that I didn't get the job. I was devastated but 3 weeks later they had another opening and I got called in for an interview. And voila here I am. So don't give up. Keep trying there are plenty of private schools, charter schools to check out as well.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher383940 View Post
Already done it. Applied to Virginia and DC, Maryland is next but the application fees, OMG. Expensive. I can certainly put the money together within the next 3 months and just rent a room and give myself 90 days to make something happen. Just need to be there so when calls start to roll in, all I'll have to do is catch a metro or cab there, not fly in.

Thanks. I'm certainly going to visit for a week next month, maybe something will happen then. Thanks.
Another option is a temp agency until a job in your field comes along. I've reviewed several resumes in my dept where folks started out with just temp jobs and/or used a relative's address on their resume.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I can second the motion to get certification in VA and MD. Although will say that then you might need a car though and commuting from Takoma Park to VA will be a bear at best. And many parts of the suburban school districts will be impossible to get to without a car. So I would say that you should hold onto your car until you know which school you will be working at.

Do you know anyone in the DC area? If you do put their address on your resume. Even if you have to explain that you are currently in the Detroit area at the moment I promise you will get more attention. Also it provides a built-in reason why you're moving. Oh you have a cousin in PG county I see now. It turns out I have a cousin in Manassas that I had never met him before moving up here. So who knows? Although with the state of the economy it shouldn't come as a shock that someone would start sending out job applications from out-of-state.

I applied for a couple jobs in the DC area a couple years ago and was told that I was the best candidate for a job but they wouldn't hire me because they needed someone who could start immediately versus waiting for me to pack up and move. I was a substitute teacher, and as I'm sure you know, subs don't get paid in the summer. It was the last day of school when I got the call telling me that I didn't get the job. I was devastated but 3 weeks later they had another opening and I got called in for an interview. And voila here I am. So don't give up. Keep trying there are plenty of private schools, charter schools to check out as well.
Hmm, great idea. Wondering if I could do like a "mailboxes etc" where they give you a street address. Then when the call comes, I can say oh, I was out of town visiting. Thanks a pad load on that one. Hmmm, I also have a friend here who's family lives in DC maybe if I give them like a hundred bucks they'll let me use it. I never like to ask favors without offering something. (hey don't take that comment out of context people, lol)

As for my car, I may have to look into buying a used one when I get there and start working. I'll have to bear the problem of getting around for a moment because they car needs so much maintenance. If I get everything fixed, I won't be able to move there for at least 6 months. I need to come sooner than that.

I'm sorry, I'm just so OVER paying high car insurance. And paying to park the car. Too much money!! Trying cut costs. I'm sure there are like transportation services in DC or something. I may have to even budget the cost of catching a cab for a month, just till I can make a check or two and buy a used one to get around.

I really do think this is for the best.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher383940 View Post
Hmm, great idea. Wondering if I could do like a "mailboxes etc" where they give you a street address. Then when the call comes, I can say oh, I was out of town visiting. Thanks a pad load on that one.

I'm sorry, I'm just so OVER paying high car insurance. And paying to park the car. Too much money!! Trying cut costs.

I really do think this is for the best.

I hear that. In the past I've said that you should hold onto your car even in the city. But now I say go with what works best for you. There are so many job opportunities in the suburbs especially for teachers so you may have to keep the car but if you are in a suburban area car costs will be significantly lower.

Example I paid $488/6 months for car insurance when I lived outside the beltway in Oakton. Now that I live closer-in in Arlington I pay $568/6 months. When I did the math for car insurance for my new fav neighborhood Capitol Hill and guess what. It doubled! I'm still thinking maybe next year I will make the move to the Hill so who knows? But yeah a car does become a luxury item as you get closer to the city.

Yes definitely talk to your friend's family. This will also give you a good excuse to just have someone that knows you when you first arrive. They'll be able to give you advice and might invite you to a cookout or something. That's what happened with my cousin never laid eyes on him but got instant invites to holiday gatherings.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I hear that. In the past I've said that you should hold onto your car even in the city. But now I say go with what works best for you. There are so many job opportunities in the suburbs especially for teachers so you may have to keep the car but if you are in a suburban area car costs will be significantly lower.

Example I paid $488/6 months for car insurance when I lived outside the beltway in Oakton. Now that I live closer-in in Arlington I pay $568/6 months. When I did the math for car insurance for my new fav neighborhood Capitol Hill and guess what. It doubled! I'm still thinking maybe next year I will make the move to the Hill so who knows? But yeah a car does become a luxury item as you get closer to the city.

Yes definitely talk to your friend's family. This will also give you a good excuse to just have someone that knows you when you first arrive. They'll be able to give you advice and might invite you to a cookout or something. That's what happened with my cousin never laid eyes on him but got instant invites to holiday gatherings.
Yep, thats about what I was paying. I'm just trying to save money. At least on the parking issue. Every place I've found has great incentives but charges upwards of a hundred bucks a month to park, so like I broke it down before, gas, parking, insurance and because its old, maintenance will run about 5 hundred a month. If I can spend only half that amount on public transportation, I'm fine with it.

Believe me, I'm not gonna like it and again, I'll probably buy another used one before it gets cold again, however to start no car. Definitely looking forward to being in DC.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 5,063 times
Hi there,
I noticed you mention finding and apartment with a dog. I'm considering a move to D.C. from Boston and will be bringing a small dog along with me. I'm just beginning internet research for D.C./MD area apartments. Was it difficult for you to find a pet-friendly apartment? Just curious because it was almost impossible to find an apartment that would allow a dog in the Boston/Cambridge area.
Thanks! And good luck with your move.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:48 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,206,505 times
-get a google voice account with dc region area code..people do not understand the sophistication of the resume databases...they can filter resumes down to local zip codes, area codes, key words..etc etc..they do not want to spend a lot of time on resumes..
-use a p.o. box - I hear they have laxed the rules due to the economy
-if they ask, just tell them you relocated for better career opportunities and that you love the area...
-when you apply for jobs they are worried about the complications from moving and time....Just make sure your employer knows if you do divulge that your out of town, that you will relocate at your own expense and be avialble in 2-3 weeks which is the typical time for a newhire to start working....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC