U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-21-2010, 12:06 PM

51 posts, read 38,687 times
Default Good apartments near the Navy Yard? Help!!

Hi all,

I will be working at the US Dept. of Transportation in the fall, located at 1200 New Jersey Ave, SE | Washington, DC 20590, right in the Navy Yard area. I am a single woman, in my mid-twenties, and want to spend between $1,000 and $1,200 a month on rent. I would like to live close to work, but don't mind a longer commute if it means cheaper rent. I have heard this area is rough, but am not from DC, so I have no clue. Please help me out! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 01:05 PM

9,999 posts, read 8,681,985 times
It's not really rough at all. There's tons of new condos / apartments all over that area - the fastest growing area in DC. Really the biggest knock on the area is that since everything is so new there is a decidedly sterile feel to it and not a ton of food / retail services in there yet. You should have no problem getting a nice studio for the amount you want to spend near Navy Yard or Waterfront Metros. Might get lucky with a 1 bedroom somewhere near there in that price range, but doubtful.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:14 AM

132 posts, read 20,839 times
Thaks for the info. Looking forward to visiting.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:07 AM

3,212 posts, read 7,535,666 times
Completely agree with Bluefly. I know for a fact that the studio apartments in my complex go for about $1150-1250/month, but the buildings closer to the Waterfront metro are a little cheaper (especially if you look in a building that hasn't been renovated yet). You could also try looking in Capitol Hill (either walk, or there's a Circulator bus from Union Station to Navy Yard via Eastern Market).

Personally, I love living in SW. My roommate and I have been here for 2 years, hope to sign a 2-year lease in May, and before we moved in our landlord lived in the house for 10 years. All of us are women, my roommate and I are in our 20s and our landlord is in our 30s, and have never had any issues with crime. Sure, I've heard about a few events, but they're nothing that doesn't happen in other parts of the city (and there have been fewer shootings here than where my friends live in Dupont...just saying). There is some low-income housing nearby, but since I don't walk near there I don't know if it's an issue. It's quiet, pretty, and has great access to the rest of the city. Just exercise common sense and awareness and you should be fine.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:47 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 2,090,223 times
Again, I am a Southwest Resident as well. Craigslist is a great resource. The waterfront is a good area for young professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC