Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 06:25 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
We need to work harder at making the city "not car friendly"
Why don't DC just take every street and turn it into dirt rubble.

Quote:
Don't take the freeway, unless you're leaving.
Really? you'll still use the part that was completed Kind of contradicts where you stand.

Quote:
Sounds like the solution to our problem. Take care of the residents and have fewer people from the burbs
Not everyone that visit the Mall and go to events at Verizon Center are DC residents or from the suburbs.

Quote:
Get a METRO map.
Just because there is one doesn't mean it's reliable or the most convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 06:43 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,155,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Why don't DC just take every street and turn it into dirt rubble.
No just erect barriers to cars like you see in a lot of cities.
Quote:
Really? you'll still use the part that was completed Kind of contradicts where you stand.
If people use them to leave, we'll be free of the "car people" sooner. Understand now?
Quote:
Not everyone that visit the Mall and go to events at Verizon Center are DC residents or from the suburbs.
We let out of towners use the METRO too.
Quote:
Just because there is one doesn't mean it's reliable or the most convenient.
We're working to make it so and at the same time working to educate the recalcitrant to the folly of depending upon the automobile for inner city travel.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:19 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Phyxius,

Where do you live? Let's build an eight lane highway through your neighborhood. I think DC's highway situation is perfect. More highways mean more cars. Look at LA!

Old 04-30-2010, 01:58 PM

No thanks, I rather be sure that I actually make it to my destination without rushing down a set of stairs to catch a train,and not waiting 15 minutes for the next one or end up at the hospital because of Metro's frequent malfunctions over the last few years. By the way Metro doesn't take you everywhere and just by riding it makes anyone a target for a victim of a crime.

and no the highways are not perfect because they are incomplete. Since they are incomplete, they serve no purpose.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:36 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,155,990 times
Quote:
No thanks, I rather be sure that I actually make it to my destination without rushing down a set of stairs to catch a train,and not waiting 15 minutes for the next one or end up at the hospital because of Metro's frequent malfunctions over the last few years. By the way Metro doesn't take you everywhere and just by riding it makes anyone a target for a victim of a crime.

and no the highways are not perfect because they are incomplete. Since they are incomplete, they serve no purpose.
LOL I-495 is one hell of a lot more dangerous than the METRO.
http://www.testalaw.net/Images/JPEG/truck%20accident.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-30-2010, 07:25 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Quote:

Hundreds of thousands more people are killed in autos than on transit.

You have no statistical evidence that one is a victim of more crime on a subway.

It's interesting that nobody complains that there aren't massive freeway systems plowed through Manhattan or Paris or London or wherever. Tourists seem to handle those cities well enough. Why would you expect DC to cater to your lifestyle choice?

DC made a choice decades ago to forego interstates for transit. It's now one of the most vibrant cities in the country because of that choice.

We enjoy our quality of life. We look at your notion of an ideal city, Phoenix or Atlanta, and have no desire to turn DC into either one.

The places in the city that do have highways are not desirable (just look at where people want to live most - no interestates to be found and quite inaccessible for the most part). We are happy the "inner loop" went no further. Your solutions simply cause more problems and are not wanted by the residents of the city.

So, unless you want to start paying taxes to live in the city, I'm not sure what say you would have in this matter.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Hundreds of thousands more people are killed in autos than on transit.

You have no statistical evidence that one is a victim of more crime on a subway.

It's interesting that nobody complains that there aren't massive freeway systems plowed through Manhattan or Paris or London or wherever. Tourists seem to handle those cities well enough. Why would you expect DC to cater to your lifestyle choice?

DC made a choice decades ago to forego interstates for transit. It's now one of the most vibrant cities in the country because of that choice.

We enjoy our quality of life. We look at your notion of an ideal city, Phoenix or Atlanta, and have no desire to turn DC into either one.

The places in the city that do have highways are not desirable (just look at where people want to live most - no interestates to be found and quite inaccessible for the most part). We are happy the "inner loop" went no further. Your solutions simply cause more problems and are not wanted by the residents of the city.

So, unless you want to start paying taxes to live in the city, I'm not sure what say you would have in this matter.
I think it's cool driving on a freeway looking at the skyline in the distance. Hundreds of people being killed on highways has nothing to do with the highway itself. It's the people that drive them. Can't blame a highway because people use poor judgment resulting in death and always in a rush to get somewhere, just like DC drivers on city streets.

I never said I would prefer the Inner Loop because it's was poorly designed but I feel that I-95 should of still went through the city which is the topic of the thread.

DC made the choice and they're sitting at #3 at worst congested city in the nation. You know what's interesting about that....Atlanta and Phoenix aren't even in the #10...

What doesn't make sense is for people to selfishly say that building a Highway through DC is bad when there are Major freeways that run through Major US cities that are doing just as well economically.

95 goes through Philly, Baltimore, Richmond and nothing happened to those cities.

Last edited by Phyxius; 04-30-2010 at 08:57 PM..

Old 04-30-2010, 09:10 PM

404 posts, read 1,094,597 times
Ok.. from my observations as a redneck living in NoVa, there's three types of people currently residing in DC:

Rich People- they don't care, they move around at their own convenience and can afford 2Mil$+ homes and live well.

Lucky/Smart middle class people - those who purchased a home in the 80s or mid 90s for dirt cheap which has now appreciated into a multi-millionaire area. These people often live with the rich people and pretend to have the same concerns about the "plebs" invading their quaint little neighborhood that was a drug slum in 1982.

Everyone else - mostly poor people that live in SE, NE & SW. These people make up the service industry (construction has been replaced my immigrants outside of the beltway).

The rich don't really care about commuting, the middle class only occupy X% of the jobs, and the poor are on a lower rung. Probably 75% of the people working in the city on a daily basis are commuting from the "poorer, rural, less progressive" areas. Unfortunately, many of us have to own homes that are more expensive than 100k, and less expensive than 1.5 million. To do so, we have to live in "hickville" which includes MD, VA & WV. I apologize that not all of us were smart enough to be adults when real estate was cheap, or the top .001% that can afford a sweet pad in the city just 'cause. Some of us would like to have options.. ANY options to get to your fine city and make a living. Just because I make less than 400k a year and can only afford a 300k town home in bumfuk, doesn't mean I'm a bubba trying to ruin your city.

I enjoy public transit as much as everyone else, but until it is as extensive as the NY subway and LIRR combined, please don't expect me to trade my car for a job.

/soapbox

Throw us a bone, we make your world go round. Why all the hate for options to get into and out of the city.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:11 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
The problem with this argument is:

1. Nobody wants the "inner loop" anymore.
2. That the area where 95 would have gone was ever very desirable. I submit that there is little difference between what is there now, and what would have been, if 95 was connected to 395.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:29 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The problem with this argument is:

1. Nobody wants the "inner loop" anymore.
2. That the area where 95 would have gone was ever very desirable. I submit that there is little difference between what is there now, and what would have been, if 95 was connected to 395.
What stretch are you specifically talking? As is evident around the city, many areas that were once undesirable are now bursting with new development and being completely reimagined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC