Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 12:03 PM

37 posts, read 143,954 times

Advertisements

I think it really depends on where you go. When I go out I keep on saying there are only women out there. My boyfriend, on the other hand, thinks there are only men out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 12:17 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
The stats are not anecdotal. Let's look at a few pictures from some of DC's nightclubs/bars.

(1) These pics are recent and are from 2010 or late 2009. In all of these recent pictures, the sex ratio is 2:1 or 3:1.

(2) Now let's take a look at a picture from early 2007. The ratio is 1:1.

These pics are on the website of Panorama Productions, which has been organizing events and parties in DC for years. If you browse their galleries, you can see how the sex ratio has shifted over the past couple of years.

I anticipate the criticism that perhaps crowds change from night to night, or perhaps I chose the wrong club to prove my point, but in fact both of these claims are false. I've been actively going out in DC since '05 and I can vouch that the pictures above are very typical and legitimate representations of what's going on in DC's singles scene.

So, any ideas on what's happening?
They have statistics on male/female ratios that are scientifically valid - probably right on this website. Perhaps you should start with those instead of pictures of randomly selected nightclubs (until there's a scientifically valid process behind it, it's still anecdotal, even with pictures).

Old 03-29-2010, 12:34 PM

349 posts, read 990,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
They have statistics on male/female ratios that are scientifically valid - probably right on this website. Perhaps you should start with those instead of pictures of randomly selected nightclubs (until there's a scientifically valid process behind it, it's still anecdotal, even with pictures).
OK, can you point me to those stats?

I'm specifically interested in the following:

1) the # of women in DC who lost their jobs during the Recession, compared with the # of men;

2) enrollment at major DC colleges (GW and AU) by gender and year;

3) # of au-pairs (mostly female foreigners) in DC, by year

thanks

Old 08-01-2010, 10:02 AM

349 posts, read 990,850 times
Hi again,

The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC, www.cdc.gov) is a government agency that provides an abundance of population data.

They have a public tool called "Wonder" which gives a breakdown for any geographic area in terms of sex, age, etc.
CDC WONDER

One of the queries you can run is "Population Data from Census", with whatever parameters and groupings you like, for periods up to 2008 (the data for '09 and '10 isn't available yet):
Bridged-Race Population Estimates (Vintage 2008) Request

I ran a query for the following parameters:
- STATES: D.C., Maryland, Virginia (the so-called "DMV")
- AGES: 20-30
- FOR YEARS: 2004-2008

I got the following breakdown, for Men/Women in their 20s (20-30) in the DMV through '04'-'08 (the red ratio markers are mine):

So the M/F sex ratio in the area has been inching up slowly over the past few years. The data for '09-'10 isn't available yet, but I predict it will show even more drastic increases.

Why has this been happening? My gut feel is that DC has been growing as an area of economic opportunity, and economic incentives have always drawn men, much more so than women.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-01-2010, 10:24 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,381,324 times
You can't use statewide MD and VA stats. The majority of those states' populations are not in the DC area.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:00 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Get a dog, they won't marry you and leave you 10 years later and take your home, car, money and kids.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:03 PM

494 posts, read 1,191,692 times
Quote:
The stats are not anecdotal. Let's look at a few pictures from some of DC's nightclubs/bars.

(1) These pics are recent and are from 2010 or late 2009. In all of these recent pictures, the sex ratio is 2:1 or 3:1.

(2) Now let's take a look at a picture from early 2007. The ratio is 1:1.

These pics are on the website of Panorama Productions, which has been organizing events and parties in DC for years. If you browse their galleries, you can see how the sex ratio has shifted over the past couple of years.

I anticipate the criticism that perhaps crowds change from night to night, or perhaps I chose the wrong club to prove my point, but in fact both of these claims are false. I've been actively going out in DC since '05 and I can vouch that the pictures above are very typical and legitimate representations of what's going on in DC's singles scene.

So, any ideas on what's happening?
Do you have hair? In those pix, I see a fair number of bald to balding dudes. Hence, you may have a leg up!

Old 08-02-2010, 04:50 PM

265 posts, read 1,063,681 times
I have been in the DC area a long time and the city has had and IMHO will always have many more women. In part this is because it is a magnet city for women to find good jobs (with the government, nonprofits, law firms, media, etc.). Any guy I (a F) have dated, I have met outside DC in nearby counties or other cities. Guys in DC seemed to be to be almost always (if straight, and that's an IF) taken, or big heads/jerky.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:24 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
- STATES: D.C., Maryland, Virginia (the so-called "DMV")

... in the DMV ....
-
The Washington Post did a poll and "DMV" lost. DMV= Department of Motor Vehicles. Please stop using it to refer to the Washington area.
Thanks!

Poll is in this article: washingtonpost.com

Old 08-05-2010, 01:19 PM

68 posts, read 271,562 times
I don't really put much stock into these types of statistics. There are far too many factors to consider, making a reasonable conclusion tough. How many people are homosexual or bisexual (but prefer same sex)? How many people are just looking for hook-ups rather than relationships? How many people are single and go out, but only go out to have fun and don't like to meet people in bars? How many people (mostly men) put profiles on dating sites but are already attached? How many people are single but have children? How many people are perfectly happy being single and not looking (just like calculating the unemployment rate!)? Then you get into personal preferences on the number of singles that fit in a certain category: body type, race, religion, etc.

You could go on and on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC