U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-30-2010, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
17,595 posts, read 10,061,391 times
Reputation: 6204

Advertisements

And how could I forget the best thing about DC???


YouTube - DC Carnival 2009: Im not Drunk You can say what u want.

CARNIVAL!!! The best road march in North America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2010, 10:44 AM
2dc
 
87 posts, read 281,086 times
Reputation: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
It's nice being around well-educated, cultured, intelligent people who know a bit about the world, who are well-travelled, white-collar, and intellectuals.

It's nice being around wealth and status. If you've ever lived in a poor working class town, you know how people can be cheap--and that's not a good attitude to have in life. Wealth makes life much more pleasant, cordial, and enjoyable.

The nightlife is good. It actually rivals that of Europe, since a lot of famous DJs come to DC.

I like the fact that there are lots of singles and they're very eager to flirt and meet people, AND you know exactly where to meet them. If you've ever been to NYC, there's no "central hub" to singles interacting with each other; if you don't know where you're going, you're screwed. Whereas, in DC there are several designated party areas, which makes life simple.

If you consider yourself an intellectual, I doubt there's anywhere else in the country that's as good as DC--other than perhaps NYC. People tend to congregate in geographic areas that make sense for them. That's why you have the fashion/glamor industry in LA, the wonks and intellectuals in DC, the business/industry stuff in Seattle and Houston, and old-school literary and philosophical traditions in New England.


The "wealth" that you talk about is one of the things I dislike most about DC/VA/MD metro. People here are too consumed with what job you have, where you live, etc. I've found many here to be cold, soulless, & boring. But the spring/summer season in the DMV cancels out the negatives for now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
9,400 posts, read 7,982,500 times
Reputation: 6070
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyofthebeast View Post
agreed.


I like Capitol Hill and Georgetown in autumn when the orange leaves are falling... it complements all the brick very nicely.

Another profound thing about DC is that if you live anywhere relatively central or high in elevation, chances are your roof has an amazing view. Even if its obscured by something, you can still see a pretty impressive distance and if you live near the hill between Columbia Heights and U street you can see forrrrever. I love it so much. Gotta thank the height restriction for that one.
Build a high-rise in Tenleytown the height of one of the radio towers, and then live in the penthouse apartment. If I recall correctly, that area is the highest in elevation in DC, which is why there are so many radio towers around there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 12:18 PM
 
276 posts, read 478,645 times
Reputation: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dc View Post
The "wealth" that you talk about is one of the things I dislike most about DC/VA/MD metro. People here are too consumed with what job you have, where you live, etc. I've found many here to be cold, soulless, & boring. But the spring/summer season in the DMV cancels out the negatives for now

I don't like materialistic people either, but DC doesn't have that, it simply has people with disposable income. True shallow materialism you're much more likely to find on the West Coast, for instance.

I doubt that the wonky, slightly geeky mindset that prevails in this area has anything to do with materialism. Being obsessed with careers is a different matter, maybe it has to do with power, but power is a little different, it's not superficial stuff.

I just want to point out that even if the materialism charge were true, I would prefer that to people who count every penny and who are always "flat ass broke."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 09:02 AM
 
825 posts, read 859,545 times
Reputation: 644
I knew I should not have read this thread. I'm in exile down in southern Virginia and reading this is making me miss DC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Silver Spring, MD
709 posts, read 1,856,041 times
Reputation: 194
1. PAINTED ROWHOUSES!!!
2. Alex Ovechkin
3. Charcoal chicken either in MD or VA or DC!
4. DC United tailgates at RFK!
5. few hours from beaches in DELMARVA region, or go hit mountains in the west in VA or WV!
6. LET TEDDY WIN!!!
7. being a short ways from just about everything MD or VA
8. Good restaurants, good bartenders who actually know how to make cocktails.
9. Wine tours in VA (eh... could be better quality but I like heading out just for a drive)
10. Cherry trees
11. U street
12. low property tax bill
13. Saying Snyder sucks ad infinatum
14. suburban ethnic eats
15. Rock Creek Park (bike, motorcycle, hiking) it's all good.
16. Free stuff in abundance (museums, shows at Kennedy Centre etc..)
17. Great universities, and also good mix of youth from other great colleges from aways who shake it up
18. Politics and Prose
19. Sports on the mall (although they have curtailed this a bit as the last time I played softball they kicked us out)
20. There's too much stuff to do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 07:00 PM
 
123 posts, read 300,137 times
Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
It's nice being around well-educated, cultured, intelligent people who know a bit about the world, who are well-travelled, white-collar, and intellectuals.

It's nice being around wealth and status. If you've ever lived in a poor working class town, you know how people can be cheap--and that's not a good attitude to have in life. Wealth makes life much more pleasant, cordial, and enjoyable.

The nightlife is good. It actually rivals that of Europe, since a lot of famous DJs come to DC.

I like the fact that there are lots of singles and they're very eager to flirt and meet people, AND you know exactly where to meet them. If you've ever been to NYC, there's no "central hub" to singles interacting with each other; if you don't know where you're going, you're screwed. Whereas, in DC there are several designated party areas, which makes life simple.

If you consider yourself an intellectual, I doubt there's anywhere else in the country that's as good as DC--other than perhaps NYC. People tend to congregate in geographic areas that make sense for them. That's why you have the fashion/glamor industry in LA, the wonks and intellectuals in DC, the business/industry stuff in Seattle and Houston, and old-school literary and philosophical traditions in New England.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2010, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC
605 posts, read 1,403,004 times
Reputation: 367
Thanks for starting a lovely thread.

As a nearly life-long resident, here are the things I love:
1) It's a gorgeous city. There is the natural beauty of Rock Creek Park, the manicured attractiveness of formal gardens, and the architectural beauty evident in homes, monuments, and office buildings. I love that we have tree boxes and that houses are set back from the sidewalk enough to allow for front gardens. The DC streetscape, even in some run-down areas, is quite appealing.

2) I never run out of things to do here. And, no, you don't have to be crazy wealthy to participate in the myriad happenings around town. I am never, never bored. In fact, the challenge for me is to resign myself to not being able to make it to the wonderful events about town every day of the year.

3) As much as I love DC, I also need to reconnect with nature every once in a while. Within the city, it's so easy to rent a kayak and paddle around the Potomac Gorge. I can also easily drive out to Carderock if I have a jones to go rock climbing or pop into Great Falls National Park to take a hike. If those options don't cut it, Shenandoah National Park is about two hours away, and beaches are similarly close. (And on the way out to the mountains, it's always fun to stop by a few wineries.) Few metropolitan areas in this country have both mountains and beaches within an easy drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2010, 04:37 PM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
10,004 posts, read 8,500,764 times
Reputation: 6141
In addition to the many things already mentioned, the fact that the seat of the federal government is in D.C. makes it an especially appealing place. In general, you can't go wrong living in a national capital area. The most famous museums, memorials and the largest library in the nation are added pluses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2010, 11:20 PM
 
Location: Rockville, MD
3,548 posts, read 5,048,722 times
Reputation: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The most famous museums, memorials and the largest library in the world are added pluses.
Fixed that for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top