U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 10:58 AM

9,400 posts, read 7,839,969 times

Advertisements

What are some good scenic, fun drives around the area? I've done the GW Parkway which is great. By "fun" I mean a drive where you can go pretty fast, hug some curves, and generally just feel like you are one with the highway.

I think I might try the BW Parkway today. What others are there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 11:30 AM

15,400 posts, read 17,913,284 times
Great question, although all I can think of are roads in Northern Virginia that are probably a bit too far away to be posted here. Maybe I should start a similar thread in the Nova Forum. Thanks for a great idea.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:53 AM

You could post them on here if they're withing the DC Metro area.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:13 PM

Here are the ones I posted on the Nova forum. In addition to the ones in this link, the drive from Warrenton to Charlottesville is very scenic. But.... be careful about speeding. It's easy to get a ticket on a couple of these roads.

Scenic Drives

Old 04-04-2010, 03:11 PM

1,055 posts, read 3,455,010 times
Rock Creek Park is a fun drive, past the zoo, and when there isn't much traffic. Don't go on the weekend as they close down the road for bicycles only, but during the day when no one is around or late at night you'll occasionally see an exotic car doing some funky stuff.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:46 PM

1,545 posts, read 3,925,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
What are some good scenic, fun drives around the area? I've done the GW Parkway which is great. By "fun" I mean a drive where you can go pretty fast, hug some curves, and generally just feel like you are one with the highway.

I think I might try the BW Parkway today. What others are there?
Problem with most of the roads in the DC area is that there is usually a fair amount of traffic, which makes it tough to cruise along at a fast clip and become "one" with the road. The other thing, most of the really nice scenic drives (Skyline Drive in Shenandoah Nat'l Park and the Blue Ridge Parkway) also have a 45 mph speed limit and typically have many cars slugging along at much slower speeds.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:10 PM

I hear ya, the Balt-Wash Parkway at some parts was pretty slow. I did get a few good long stretches though overall it was a good driving day. 495 sucked as usual.

Is that so about the speed limit though? I mean the BaltWash Parkway has a limit of I think 55MPH but everyone was going at least 65. I hit 90 at one straight stretch that was pretty much empty.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I hear ya, the Balt-Wash Parkway at some parts was pretty slow. I did get a few good long stretches though overall it was a good driving day. 495 sucked as usual.

Is that so about the speed limit though? I mean the BaltWash Parkway has a limit of I think 55MPH but everyone was going at least 65. I hit 90 at one straight stretch that was pretty much empty.
You may learn a very expensive lesson doing that. Sorry, but speeding will get you a ticket.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:13 AM

I know :| I just thought it'd be fun to go at a high clip for a few seconds. I normally stay at or near the speed limit (e.g. within 10MPH... since that's the buffer for cameras in MoCo). In fact when I was headed home on the Beltway I stayed at 55MPH in the right hand lane the whole time.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:49 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,333,996 times
I live one block from the B-W parkway so I've gotten to drive on it many times, the best part is between Laurel and Baltimore, thats where most of the good landscapes are. The only downside is that most of the highway is two lanes in each direction so traffic can pile up at certain stretches.

Another one would be the beltway and driving on it all the way around in a loop.

A lot of people may disagree on this but Southeast is very beautiful, especially along Alabama Ave, Southern Ave, MLK Ave, and Wheeler Road. The only thing that veers a lot of people from that area is crime, but other than that the landscape and houses is gorgeous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC