Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 08:38 AM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
321 posts, read 812,724 times

Advertisements

there are still quite a few older white residents here that never fled and remained in their homes that are part of our community here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 02:01 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechlawyerinPG View Post
there are still quite a few older white residents here that never fled and remained in their homes that are part of our community here
Tis true. And from what I have heard, everyone gets along just fine.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:23 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
I also think that black people in DC avoided moving to NoVA which they associated with the Confederacy. So many of NoVA's streets, schools, parks, and roads are named after Confederate generals and leaders, and many of NoVA's schoolteachers and principals used to be whites originating from southern VA. When busses or trolleys crossed the 14th Street Bridge southbound, black passengers used to have to stand and give their seats to white passengers. They were also banned from Alexandria's public library.
The ironic thing about this is for my personal experience, I have dealt with a lot less infamous sentiments that are synonymous with the Confederacy in modern-day NoVA than I have in either DC or Maryland.

But about PG County, from what I heard, it has always been a lower-middle class place. Granted the upper-middle income mcmansion communities and bourgeoisie atmosphere are a recent phenomenon, the attitudes are mostly predominantly of a working-class vibe (in good and bad ways).

Old 05-07-2010, 07:42 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,968 times
I love Prince George's County, MD!

Old 05-07-2010, 09:44 PM

404 posts, read 1,094,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWALDON View Post
A vase majority on this forum have no clue re: PG. County!!!!!!! News clippings and the news in general are their source of info.

"I'm a happy, responsible pit bull owner. Ask any other responsible owner and they will give you facts re: this bred. Leave it to the news and this bred make a terrible pet."

Same with PG...outsiders hear about a few bad areas, now the whole county has false respresentation.

Leave it to the guy equating misunderstood pit-bulls to misunderstood PG...

A match made in heaven?

Old 05-07-2010, 09:50 PM

404 posts, read 1,094,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
I also think that black people in DC avoided moving to NoVA which they associated with the Confederacy. So many of NoVA's streets, schools, parks, and roads are named after Confederate generals and leaders, and many of NoVA's schoolteachers and principals used to be whites originating from southern VA. When busses or trolleys crossed the 14th Street Bridge southbound, black passengers used to have to stand and give their seats to white passengers. They were also banned from Alexandria's public library.

Also, when the slums of S.W. DC were demolished and replaced by new Federal buildings and condominiums in the 1960s, many slum dwellers were displaced and relocated to PG County.

I can remember when Oxon Hill was filled with brilliant physicists from the Naval Research Lab, and also musicians from the military bands. The man who invented GPS, Roger Easton, lived in Oxon Hill. Doctors and dentists lived there and actually practiced out of offices attached to their homes. They were content to live in simple modest Cape Cod homes and not mega-mansions like today.

So I'm trying to find the common denominator between PG and Fairfax... they both border DC, yet one has a crime rate equal to DC, and the other is relatively safe....

What could be different about these two? I mean.. according to your post, many blacks wouldn't feel comfortable because of the confederate signage around NoVa. Fortunately for the people of NoVa, they must not feel comfortable, if they did, the crime rate would be as bad as PG..

PG.. the most affluent black area in the nation (and I'm assuming the world for that matter), and one of the most dangerous places in the mid atlantic to live... what could cause that high crime rate?

I guess poverty isn't the cause of violent behavior, it must be culture... hmmmm....

Anyways, stay on your side of the river, and we'll stay on ours!

Old 05-08-2010, 12:20 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post
So I'm trying to find the common denominator between PG and Fairfax... they both border DC, yet one has a crime rate equal to DC, and the other is relatively safe....

What could be different about these two? I mean.. according to your post, many blacks wouldn't feel comfortable because of the confederate signage around NoVa. Fortunately for the people of NoVa, they must not feel comfortable, if they did, the crime rate would be as bad as PG..

PG.. the most affluent black area in the nation (and I'm assuming the world for that matter), and one of the most dangerous places in the mid atlantic to live... what could cause that high crime rate?

I guess poverty isn't the cause of violent behavior, it must be culture... hmmmm....

Anyways, stay on your side of the river, and we'll stay on ours!
To be fair, Montgomery County is one of the richest counties in the USA and there are some pretty ****ing dumpy parts in it. That goes to show just how rich a lot of people in MoCo are. Same with PG County I'd reckon... the rich there are *very* rich. And most of the crime happens in the most poverty-stricken parts of PG.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:33 AM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
321 posts, read 812,724 times
Quote:
Fairfax does not border DC
Arlington, Alexandria, Montgomery and Prince Georges do

Prince Georges outside the beltway (the majority of the county) has crime rates comparable to the other bordering counties

Browse around CrimeReports | The National Crime Map for a while
Fort Washington had less crime than Bethesda and Alexandria in the last 30 days.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:09 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times
Quote:
and one of the most dangerous places in the mid atlantic to live...!
that honor goes to Baltimore, and it's not close

over twice as many homicides in Harm City this year than in DC

also, much of PG outside the Beltway is as safe as Centreville

Old 05-10-2010, 10:12 PM

220 posts, read 704,096 times
Quote:
one of the most dangerous places in the mid atlantic to live...
please.

have you been to Baltimore, Philly, Newark, Trenton or Camden recently? PG county doesn't hold a candle to those cities as far as crime rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: