Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 08:32 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times

Advertisements

So last week it was announced that a few blocks around the convention center would be blocked off for the summit. They neglected to mention that most of the delegates are staying on the other side of town--foggy bottom and environs--and that many of those streets are blocked off (or have restricted parking) too. Then this weekend it was announced that the closures may actually extend through Wednesday or Thursday, not the mere two-day disruption and destruction of local business that was promised.

Okay, fine, the right to move about freely is a right we give up as residents of the capitol, among others. So I'm told.

But tonight WaPo has published a map showing yet more restrictions, including a no-parking zone along Rhode Island from Connecticut to 11th. And I can't figure out why. The restriction stops short (and north) of the convention center, and it doesn't pass any embassies or major hotels. The best I can think is it is staging for the motorcades and vehicles, but surely there's enough parking at the convention center.

So, can anyone enlighten me to the logic of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 09:04 PM

Nevermind.

Just got a more explanatory message through AlertDC from DDOT--the closure is part of a strategy to create designated as a traffic route to handle the detoured traffic.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:27 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,998 times
What roads around Foggy Bottom are blocked off? I'm debating whether it's even remotely worth it to drive to class in Dupont on Wednesday night (there's a parking garage), or if I should just suck it up and take the Metro.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:21 PM

They had M street going into Georgetown partially blocked off yesterday. It looked like they had meant to only block off one lane next to some hotels but then some squad cars couldn't be bothered to park in that designated lane and just pulled to a stop in the middle of the road and left their cars there. So the road was pretty effectively blocked (not that it stopped a few thousand people from trying though).

Parts of 25th and 26th along Pennsylvania were blocked off yesterday, as well as 28th and 29th in Georgetown. That was yesterday, I can't be sure they are still blocked off today. Turns out L street and F street are blocked off too, near the White House, even for pedestrians, a fact not apparently publicized until people tried to walk to their offices from the metro and then were sent walking around downtown trying to figure out how to get around. It seems a lot like the inauguration and the concert beforehand--security's left hand has no idea what the right had is doing, and with both hands together and a map they couldn't find their own a$$.

I'm in Dupont today and it is actually pretty quiet. Almost blissful. Haven't heard a car horn all day. Some sirens obviously, but no horns. Hardly any traffic. Looks like everyone stayed home if they could. I don't know if the roads will stay clear until Wednesday though. Probably at least a few people will resume their commutes by then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC