Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 11:01 AM

3 posts, read 49,246 times

Advertisements

I will be commuting from DC to Quantico VA for a year and I would like to not have to add my car to the throngs on 95. I need to be at Quantico around 7:30 am. There looks like there is only one train option, Amtrack/VRE, which does not depart Union Station until 7:30. The return is at 4 pm or 7:18 which seems to skip the 'commute' times home from 5 to 6.

Also, the one month pass is $486! I could pay $6.00 a gallon for gas and still spend less on gas driving my V-8 car!

Is my dream of reading while I commute just that, a dream? Do I need to throw my single occupancy vehicle into the masses of traffic? Have I overlooked something, a bus or alternative train or anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 11:52 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
For DC to Quantico you're going against the traffic, hence the more limited options. There may be buses or maybe a slug line, but at that time most things will be heading into DC, not out.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:22 PM

Even the slug lines that I have looked up online seem to flow the same direction as the traffic. The lack of rail options is a bummer. I was really hoping to read a book/surf the web and drink a coffee every day on my commute instead of just throwing my vehicle into the mess.

I guess I'll have to wait until traffic is equally as bad reverse commuting before Amtrak and the city decide people are interested inn commuting the other direction.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:24 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
I've only done it a few times, but driving down to Quantico (or, actually, Fredericksburg) really wasn't that bad. In the morning I got to Fredericksburg from Alexandria in 45 minutes, so Quantico probably would have taken about 30.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:49 PM

844 posts, read 2,829,562 times
All I can suggest is, try for a ride-sharing match on Commuter Connections . Also, will you be working either for the US Marines, or the F.B.I. in Quantico? If so, it's possible they may have their own shuttle transportation from DC headquarters or from the Pentagon.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:28 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Do you know where on the base you will be? Even main side is huge. Here's a map: MCB Quantico - BASEINFO - Map & Directions You could easily have a 30 minute walk to your job from the station.

If you're job is at FBI/DEA or the new MILDEP building--forget it. Drive. The reverse commute isn't too bad.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:18 PM

In the perfect world, I would need to get to Quantico Town, which is the location of the Amtrak/VRE stop. That would be the perfect solution, it just simply does not look like it will work.

I know that the reverse commute is not that bad. I have done it before. I can get door to door in less than an hour. I was just hoping that with this sustained period of time this commute would be necessary, that there may be some sort of "mass" transit I could finally tap into. I am not a 'greenie' by any stretch of the imagination, but if I can take a car off off the road in a logical manner, I am all about doing my part.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 10,909 times
Please look at subject line, I'm contemplating the same commute!

Vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo01 View Post
In the perfect world, I would need to get to Quantico Town, which is the location of the Amtrak/VRE stop. That would be the perfect solution, it just simply does not look like it will work.

I know that the reverse commute is not that bad. I have done it before. I can get door to door in less than an hour. I was just hoping that with this sustained period of time this commute would be necessary, that there may be some sort of "mass" transit I could finally tap into. I am not a 'greenie' by any stretch of the imagination, but if I can take a car off off the road in a logical manner, I am all about doing my part.
Does anyone know of a commuter service from pentagon or HQs to Quantico OSI building.

Vickyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
All I can suggest is, try for a ride-sharing match on Commuter Connections . Also, will you be working either for the US Marines, or the F.B.I. in Quantico? If so, it's possible they may have their own shuttle transportation from DC headquarters or from the Pentagon.

Last edited by Yac; 05-16-2014 at 02:01 AM..

Old 09-11-2015, 03:28 PM

828 posts, read 907,408 times
Alright. This thread is five years old. I thought I would revive it instead of starting a new one.

Is the above advice still the case? No viable way of commuting to Quantico from DC? Still 30 minute walk from VRE to parts of the base?

Old 09-14-2015, 06:44 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
Alright. This thread is five years old. I thought I would revive it instead of starting a new one.

Is the above advice still the case? No viable way of commuting to Quantico from DC? Still 30 minute walk from VRE to parts of the base?
There are no VRE Trains going that direction and I think all the Amtrak trains you could use are at weird non-commuting time hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC