Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 07:05 PM

207 posts, read 536,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I got asked, "Where's the Smithsonian Museum?"

"Which one?"

"The Smithsonian."

"....Which one?"

This went on for some time. I figure, if you're going to come all the way here from the other side of the world, take 10 minutes to figure out what's there when you arrive. That said, I've never noticed people being rude about answering questions and have actually seen people from multiple groups at a time go out of their way on the Metro to help visitors figure out where they're going. As a pedestrian, you are accosted regularly for money or those clipboard causes (don't they realize that after 2 months on the same street, that 99% are the same people). So, there is a natural inclination to put the guard up.

Now that's funny. What?? What?? Which one?? LOL. Yeah, they would be sure to leave you alone when you do that. Look this is a technological age and come on there are tons of maps in the station and at every hotel. Look things up. I knew what street Union Station was on, but I was looking at apts in the area and was at the back of it so I could not tell if I was going in the right direction. Anything else, I looked up or called a friend of mine who lived there. They told me what to do.

I think a certain amount is to be expected but just be polite, say I don't know sorry, if you don't want to answer. But stank ass looks aren't necessary. Why are we so mean and miserable. GEEZ!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 09:00 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,696,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher383940 View Post
Second, I am a single woman walking by myself and I live in a city with tons of homeless people (Detroit) and its scary for me to have people constantly coming up to me begging for money. Especially since I'm five steps from being homeless my damn self.

Get the hell out my face begging all the time. I barely have it to give. And its scary.
Just because you've mentioned Union Station twice, is that the area you're referring to about homeless people? I've noticed that the ones hanging around there tend to be more aggressive than the people I encounter in other parts of the city. There's a shelter (or maybe more than one) nearby, and a lot of them have mental problems.

That said, after working around there for 2 years I never had any issues with them at all, besides a few catcalls and then one giving me a flower. However, I wouldn't say that's the norm for the rest of the city. The homeless guy by my office now doesn't even ask for money. He just holds a cup and greets people.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:06 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,696,594 times
Quote:
Okay, I'm just saying for the high price of everything in the DC area, I just expect things to be newer. You're paying a super high price for old things?? Sorry makes no sense to me. Which is why I'm living a newer apartment building. I just like more modern things. That's all.
It's all personal preference. I'd rather pay more for a historic home than some new construction that I feel will get knocked over if I sneeze too hard. I've found I even have a preference for buildings built before the '70s since I think building codes changed after then, so the new ones seem flimsier and cheaper to me. They also seem to have more character, which I love.

But hey, that's me. There's nothing wrong with liking newer construction, there are a lot who do.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:10 AM

638 posts, read 927,990 times
Quote:
Secondly, most jobs pay low wages, but the spirit in which you do them should not be low. I'm sorry that I can't understand you but I am very polite because I've worked those types of jobs and acting like I'm getting on your nerves when I ask you a something you are supposed to know.

Your comparing customer service jobs in Detroit to those very same jobs here. Now I noticed you stated the high price that people pay to live in the DC area over all. Now think about that when it comes to pay. Most people making minimum wage here work two or three jobs to make it overall. Now that in no way excuses completely rude behavior, however it does explain workers temperament. Most of them are overworked, underpayed, and live in areas that many would consider undesirable.

Additionally in speaking to your experience in which an employee yelled at their McDonalds supervisor, well heck it’s McDonalds. It’s extremely difficult to find anyone to work in such a position in this area mainly because of the expense. Consequently your left with people with few other options. That supervisor knows replacing that individual would prove to be a far more negative experience to them than the worker.
For most big expensive cities this ic common. Try getting good customer service from a Popeyes in Manhattan. You'd probably have a greater chance of being struck by lightning.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Just because you've mentioned Union Station twice, is that the area you're referring to about homeless people? I've noticed that the ones hanging around there tend to be more aggressive than the people I encounter in other parts of the city. There's a shelter (or maybe more than one) nearby, and a lot of them have mental problems.

That said, after working around there for 2 years I never had any issues with them at all, besides a few catcalls and then one giving me a flower. However, I wouldn't say that's the norm for the rest of the city. The homeless guy by my office now doesn't even ask for money. He just holds a cup and greets people.

Hey Juney-blue, how are you??

Around Union Station, along parts of Georgia Ave. I'm single walking alone, so believe me, I'm a prime target. It just seemed like at every turn no matter where I was going, "Can I get a quarter, can you help me out" Having been on unemployment and lost my place and sold my furniture to make it these last few months, it just started to upset me because I don't have it to give either and no one is giving me a quarter you know??

But being from Detroit where the instances of this are even higher due to the broken economy here, you just become afraid at one point because people have used that to rob and attack women and it's scary, I'm sorry.

I have a friend who had her purse snatched by a guy and another who had her jewelry snatched off her neck and another who was carjacked all by what appeared to be harmless, "homeless people"

Scary world out there. I know it's not everyone, but it only takes one to ruin your sense of self control and security.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCJoe View Post
Your comparing customer service jobs in Detroit to those very same jobs here. Now I noticed you stated the high price that people pay to live in the DC area over all. Now think about that when it comes to pay. Most people making minimum wage here work two or three jobs to make it overall. Now that in no way excuses completely rude behavior, however it does explain workers temperament. Most of them are overworked, underpayed, and live in areas that many would consider undesirable.

Additionally in speaking to your experience in which an employee yelled at their McDonalds supervisor, well heck it’s McDonalds. It’s extremely difficult to find anyone to work in such a position in this area mainly because of the expense. Consequently your left with people with few other options. That supervisor knows replacing that individual would prove to be a far more negative experience to them than the worker.
For most big expensive cities this ic common. Try getting good customer service from a Popeyes in Manhattan. You'd probably have a greater chance of being struck by lightning.
DCJoe,

I'm sick of it period. From any place at any time. We all are over worked and underpaid, that's life. So treating people like SHYT is the answer??

I don't live under a rock (I know you didn't say I did) I'm Black and for real people are rude to me all the time because I walk in the door in Black skin. Its a normal day for us, sadly. But why is it so. This is what makes disgruntled people who come back and shoot up places.

I'm spending my money or I need assistance and you act like I'm bothering you?? Hell to the damn NAW!! Your job is what you make it and to be bothered or upset sometimes at work is normal. To have a consistent crappy attitude all the time and then take it out on the public, when I KNOW I GO OUT OF MY WAY to be kind because I've a cashier, a housekeeper, a janitor, a receptionist, a factory worker (paper factory that is). I'm not coming from some snobby ass point of view on this. Hell you don't even have to be nice, just don't talk to me like shyt. Talk to me like a human being please.

We sit around and take this mess from people and then say to someone like me, oh its the way it is, get over don't sweat it. Yeah right. Then we wonder "what has happened to the world" well what has happened is that too many of us are cowards and can't or wont stand up for what is right.

Just sit back and take it. And I'm a part of that sick cycle too. But I tell you this, I may not have fired that man if I were that manager, but that fool would have been sent home early. She gave him specific directions and he openly defied her and yelled at her in her face why he did not have to do it. Yeah, he needed some time off.

Its bad business, its bad customer service and I tell you what, I know a thousand people right now, including myself who would kill to have that "Mcdonalds" job since he's taking it so lightly.

Hey man, we all have our perspectives and you're right, I maybe taking this all too seriously, but again I was only making observations. Final conclusion, DC is just as good and as bad as any place else. The cost of living is just way high. That's it.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:21 PM

331 posts, read 1,196,078 times
Quote:
DCJoe,

Final conclusion, DC is just as good and as bad as any place else. The cost of living is just way high. That's it.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:19 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,546,888 times
Quote:
Final conclusion, DC is just as good and as bad as any place else. The cost of living is just way high. That's it.
Yeah, not sure that I can agree with this--at least not from my own perspective. I came from a mid-sized midwestern city, and I can say without much hesitation that DC is a "better" place than where I came from. There is more to do, the economy is stronger, the restaurants are better, the transportation is better, the culture is better, etc. About the only factor on which DC does not beat by previous city of residence is in cost of living, which is admittedly a significant factor, but which is also explained by my previous sentence.

So, no, I don't think all cities are created equal. What one personally prefers is going to change substantially from person to person, but it doesn't mean that all cities are on equal footing.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Yeah, not sure that I can agree with this--at least not from my own perspective. I came from a mid-sized midwestern city, and I can say without much hesitation that DC is a "better" place than where I came from. There is more to do, the economy is stronger, the restaurants are better, the transportation is better, the culture is better, etc. About the only factor on which DC does not beat by previous city of residence is in cost of living, which is admittedly a significant factor, but which is also explained by my previous sentence.

So, no, I don't think all cities are created equal. What one personally prefers is going to change substantially from person to person, but it doesn't mean that all cities are on equal footing.

Oh I didn't mean equal, I just meant every place has pros and cons. Some more than others. I'm coming from a place like that now, more CONS. But I didn't want to make it seem like it was so way out there. Its in fact very similar to Chicago in many ways.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:37 PM

47 posts, read 99,509 times
Funny assessment.

I was in a cab earlier today and the driver hit on me. It's happened before. I get hit on a lot while I'm out and about, but I've learned to just ignore it.

I used to hate riding the bus. And when I rode it for the first time in years a few weeks ago, I remembered why I stopped riding in the first place. Oh well. The public transportation here is way better than my southern city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC