Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:49 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,683,913 times

Advertisements

Guess I can fill this out now.

# of people in household: 6
Monthly grocery expenses: ~$150 for groceries, probably another $150 on "eating out" (aka Chipotle and pizza... I need to stop that)
Monthly gas / Metro expenses (or both): <$20 (free UMD shuttles!)
Monthly rent: $750/mo
Monthly natural gas expenses: Included in rent
Monthly electricity expenses: Included in rent
Monthly water expenses: Included in rent
Monthly internet expenses: Included in rent
Miscellaneous expenses (savings, insurance, etc): Spent $120/year on renter's insurance, still on my dad's employer's health insurance

This is in College Park, MD in a newer house in a safer neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 06:37 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,149,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I'm trying to get a ballpark idea of what it would cost me to live on my own. I know rent's gonna be pretty bad no matter what.

I'd appreciate if you used this template

# of people in household:
Monthly grocery expenses:
Monthly gas / Metro expenses (or both):
Monthly natural gas expenses:
Monthly electricity expenses:
Monthly water expenses:
Monthly internet expenses:
Miscellaneous expenses (savings, insurance, etc):

Thanks.
Varies. Seriously, there's no exact amount on how much you will spend on groceries. Some day it could be $10 for just small stuff, other days can be $100 because it's a big grocery buying day.
I take Metro, gonna honestly use a round number and go with $115.
Gas/Electric/Water, all those utilities are included in my condo fee which are $300 per.
Internet and cable - gonna pay about $118. I splurged for the sports entertainment package.
$1400 for a studio condo (owned), I've got student loans that run about $400 total per month, depending how much I want to pay on it monthly. I've got a sallie mae loan that has about $4200 left over, I should have that paid off by early 2012. I've also got a bigger school loan that has about $50K left. I also put in $400 in savings per month, always, before I pay any bills. Also have a $100 cell phone bill.

I make around $60K, believe me, it's hard but I grew up in a household where I learned to cherish, save, save save, save. I live in Southwest so I don't live on any of the posh neighborhoods like Dupont, so my money .stretches out a bit further. I should be fine though, by February 2012, I would only have one school loan and my mortgage as my "debt."

Old 10-10-2011, 06:57 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,149,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
It's purely a matter of opinion. I know a lot of people who would absolutely hate living in the city, and I wouldn't be too fond of living further out in the suburbs. Aside from naturally preferring one over the other, priorities differ. Some people want more space, quiet, good schools, don't need to use or walk to the Metro, etc. If what you really want is a single family home near a good school in a safe neighborhood with a yard and some privacy, you'll probably be paying far more for it in DC than somewhere out in the 'burbs. That's why a lot of people I know looking to buy right now end up further out, they just can't afford what they want closer in to DC.
Or they're not comfortable with whats available in the city. When I bought I was determined to stay in the city, mostly because if I moved further out, there would have been the added expense of a car and quite frankly, I've gone a decade without having to use a car, and I love it.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:26 PM

607 posts, read 1,216,220 times
# of People in Household: 1
Monthly Rent: $950 (I have 2 roommates)
Monthly Grocery Expenses: $150 and about $200 more on eating
Monthly Metro Expenses: $120. I dont' have a car. I spend an additional $75 or so per month on Zipcar and cab rides.
Monthly cable/internet expenses: $75 per month, so my portion is $25
Monthly Utilities Expenses: $225-325 depending on the time of year- includes electric, sewer, trash and water. My portion is about $75.
Cell Phone: $72

Old 10-11-2011, 03:55 PM

465 posts, read 927,802 times
# of People in Household: 1
Monthly Mortage: $1550 including condos fees
Monthly Grocery Expenses: $700 (I eat out every day for lunch and dinner, but I never have to buy groceries except usual household stuff)
Monthly Metro Expenses: Zero. Thanks federal government!
Monthly cable/internet expenses: $110 FIOS TV/Internet
Monthly Utilities Expenses: $100 electric and water
Cell Phone: $100
Car insurance and gas: $200
Car payment: $500

Don't have much left over to save even on nearly 80k a year.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:46 PM

837 posts, read 1,797,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indonesia View Post
Hi guys,

Do you have any idea montly living cost in Washington DC for me and my wife and 1 kid (8 years old) :

Hope I can get the detail breakdown also.

Thakns
Depends on a lot.... where you want to live, rent vs own, how much space etc

Household: 3
Monthly grocery expenses: $600 approx
Monthly gas / Metro expenses : ~$400 (2 cars, both used daily)
Monthly natural gas expenses: $20-$300 (winter months are rough on old drafty homes)
Monthly electricity expenses: $75-$150 (summer months)
Monthly water expenses: $50
Monthly internet expenses: $125 w/ tv

Last edited by chicagotodc; 10-11-2011 at 10:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC