U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2010, 06:15 PM

75 posts, read 354,138 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Two of my co-workers and I are looking to rent a 3 bedroom apartment/house around the Rhode Island Ave. Metro or Brookland Metro area. Do you what types of rent we can expect? Additionally, how is the area safety wise? I don't mind if the area is a little rough around the edges.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 09:29 PM

3,521 posts, read 8,488,571 times
Brentwood (the neighborhood near the Rhode Island Avenue Metro station) is more than a little rough around the edges. I'd advise looking in Brookland (the neighborhood where Catholic University is located).

Old 05-02-2010, 01:19 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,650,364 times
yea Brentwood (East of Rhode Island Ave station) and Edgewood (West of Rhode Island Ave station) aren't exactly the best places to live at. The apartments on Saratoga rd and Montana ave are basically the projects and the high rises in Edgewood aren't any better.

As another poster stated before, look into Brookland, even though its a lot more houses than apartments.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:37 PM

3,547 posts, read 7,887,122 times
Seconded and thirded. The area around RI Ave. Metro is pretty sketchy. It certainly wouldn't be among the top places I would be looking to move to. Brookland, on the other hand, is much better. Good housing stock, and a small commercial corridor along 12th Street.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,146 times
Brentwood is not like it used to be or Montana. If u scared say u scared. Lol

Old 08-04-2013, 11:44 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,522,327 times
Truth be told I have been living in a 3br house in the northern part of Eckington for the past few years. The area is not so bad, nothing has ever happened to me, in fact it was worse in Columbia Heights when I lived there, where there were numerous times i feared for my safety, that has never been the case with Rhode Island despite its reputation. The neighborhood people are pretty friendly, the newer/refurbished apartment complexes (M, and Rhode Island Row) are really nice. If they can get an apt in the Trilogy (closer to NOMA) it would be pretty good as well. Truth be told though, the houses are the better deal in the area for a 3br, which can be had for a fairly decent rate in Eckington.
The place does have a bad rap, but the reality is it is improving rapidly, especially Eckington, but the area in general as well, they are at various stages. With that being said, having knowledge helps, this is not an area to go into blindly, I know Eckington before I moved here though and the area is safer now than it was two years ago. I knew it was the nicer community out of the ones off of Rhode Island.

My advice honestly is to rent a house in Eckington or Brookland. You are going to get a better deal than an apartment, and apartments in the area which are worth renting are comparatively overpriced.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:01 AM

561 posts, read 1,382,253 times
I have a friend who lives in that newer apartment building right next to the RI Ave metro station, and she feels very safe there. I've visited many times and never felt threatened. I also go to the Home Depot all the time, and I always feel safe. Yeah, the area is rough around the edges, but that's most of NE DC. I think I'd rather walk around RI Ave at night than Columbia Heights.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:06 AM

2,149 posts, read 3,771,146 times
2 of my buddies just moved out of the Rhode Island Row apartments. Apparently someone was stabbed there a few months back, and as a friend put it, it looks like a run down ***** house even though the apartments are really nice. It's why I'm always skeptical about these types of developments in shady areas. It's like trying to put lipstick on a pig.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:16 PM

853 posts, read 1,015,344 times
theyre trying to gentrify the hell out of that area (im sure ppl @ this board will get a hard on hearing this).......theyre building luxury apts right @ Rhode island station........my ex-gf used to live in whats now Rhode Island Gardens apts......apparently its all luxury now charging @ least 1200 for a studio.....when my ex lived there it was a raggedy apt complex and she paid like 650/month........east of Rhode Island ave the worst youll run into is the apt complex on brentwood road and saratoga ave.......locals know it as "saratoga" or "the toga" and its one of the most notorious hoods in NE....put it this way: as of right now its still an overwhelmingly black area and rents are still affordable......crime there but its not SE by anymeans (heck its not as bad as trinidad even).......if living in a working poor black area with some crime here and there doesnt bother you and u want a place u can afford, get a decent apt there.........if your looking for a gentrified hood with wine bars and overpriced farmers markets wait a few years......itll turn into that.....lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC