U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 02:29 PM

91 posts, read 370,868 times

Advertisements

So I read online that there are more blacks than asians living or around chinatown, is that true?

Old 05-12-2010, 04:05 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,107,775 times
Well, it's mostly just a bunch thuggish hood rat kids who hang around the Verizon Center and movie theater there. Lots of tourists also. I hate going there for those 2 very reasons. Also, I would not recommend walking with anything valuable hanging out (phones,iPods) because those same kids love to play snatch and grab.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:08 PM

4,036 posts, read 7,447,617 times
That's not surprising. DC is still Chocolate city right? Besides Chinatown only consists of what two blocks and a few novelty signs in Chinese. I love the gate though and its a fun little area flashing lights and kinda like Dc's mini version of Times Square. But yeah Chinatown is more tourist attraction/place for Virginians to bar hop with quick access to 395 and the orange line, so we can run back to the burbs as fast as we can at last call.

Now that I think it about though I'd say that more white folks stay in the immediate Chinatown area. The African-American population that you're talking about is just north of Chinatown by the convention center. Although that neighborhood is gentrifying by the minute.

But umm...why does it matter?

Old 05-12-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Well, it's mostly just a bunch thuggish hood rat kids who hang around the Verizon Center and movie theater there. Lots of tourists also. I hate going there for those 2 very reasons. Also, I would not recommend walking with anything valuable hanging out (phones,iPods) because those same kids love to play snatch and grab.
I've never had a problem in that neighborhood. Ironically I've had problems in my own neighborhood in VA (car broken into) and in Michigan Park in NE. Which is actually a nice looking area. I've never noticed any thugs by the Verizon center. Just a lot of drunk white folks from VA. Of course I was there too out drinking everybody.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:12 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,762,667 times
Fudruckers is my favorite chinese restaurant apparently.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:18 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,107,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I've never had a problem in that neighborhood. Ironically I've had problems in my own neighborhood in VA (car broken into) and in Michigan Park in NE. Which is actually a nice looking area. I've never noticed any thugs by the Verizon center. Just a lot of drunk white folks from VA. Of course I was there too out drinking everybody.
You never noticed those dozens of hood rat kids heckling people as they come out of the metro? Are we talking about the same place? And yes those rowdy suburbanites are annoying too but at least they don't steal my stuff.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:35 PM

I drive but the few times I've taken the metro into the city for a night out I've never noticed anything funny.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:14 PM

220 posts, read 591,399 times
I agree with jmusic85 for the most part, I just hope there isn't any racial tension in his statement, but 99.9% tells me there is, just from reading your previous posts here on the site.

But I agree, Gallery is full of roudy teens from hoods all over the DMV, there are bloods down there too (trust me I've seen a few with a red flag), and overall I can see why someone might feel uncomfortable and yes they will play grab and run in a heartbeat, especially in the subway station, you gotta watch out. But everything I just said shouldn't be a big surprise though. Gallery place is hands down the most accessible hang out spot in the area. You red, green, and yellow lines that serve it directly with the orange and blue just three blocks away, numerous bus lines (a lot of which come in from rough places), easy access to 395 and New York Ave. You'll always have problems in exclusive areas like those, even Georgetown to a lesser extent.

Last edited by DCnative1990; 05-12-2010 at 08:29 PM..

Old 05-12-2010, 07:44 PM

3,548 posts, read 7,036,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
You never noticed those dozens of hood rat kids heckling people as they come out of the metro?
Actually, no.

I've worked there and have been entering and exiting that station daily for nearly three years at all hours, and I've never had anything remotely approaching a problem with anyone there.

Actually, that's not true. The ticket scalpers on Wizards and Capitals game nights can be a real pain.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:08 PM

3,254 posts, read 9,990,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Actually, no.

I've worked there and have been entering and exiting that station daily for nearly three years at all hours, and I've never had anything remotely approaching a problem with anyone there.

Actually, that's not true. The ticket scalpers on Wizards and Capitals game nights can be a real pain.
I've found that the demographics in Chinatown depend on what is going on at the Verizon Center that night.

Yes, I've seen more black people there than Chinese, but that's because 1) most of the Chinese people there moved out ages ago, 2) DC is predominantly black, and 3) it's an area full of bars, stores, and a movie theater that are easy to get to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC