Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:13 AM

54 posts, read 202,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
what the **** is a "srut"?

anyway between this and the weather and the multitude of frustrations that Metro provides me I'm finding it less and less compelling to stick around here
lol sorry it's an asian joke. They tend to confuse their Ls and Rs and they pronounce it SRUT. Anyway you just have to settle in here. There are issues but for a metropolitan area it's not that bad. jobs are not hard to come by here..the humidity is a bit tough at times and that recent blizzard was the worst in history of this city and pretty rare. The metro? Well do like me and move in the city and take a taxi everywhere. That solves everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 10:32 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Settle in? I've lived here for 15.5 years.

As for "move in the city" well I don't have to worry about housing since I go to UMD and I can live on-campus or commute from my mom or dad's homes. Once I graduate though, uh to be honest I don't expect to be making enough to live anywhere nice in the city. Hopefully I will but I'm also a realist.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:39 AM

6 posts, read 10,513 times
I dont know, i think its similar to any other city---are you a looker ms. teacher?? where do you hang out?

Old 05-18-2010, 11:01 AM

54 posts, read 202,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Settle in? I've lived here for 15.5 years.

As for "move in the city" well I don't have to worry about housing since I go to UMD and I can live on-campus or commute from my mom or dad's homes. Once I graduate though, uh to be honest I don't expect to be making enough to live anywhere nice in the city. Hopefully I will but I'm also a realist.
Wow well I didn't know that much. Well even as a realist you are in college..a good college at that. You never know what opportunities you'll get. I work with many college students who live in great areas, Dupont Circle, Thomas Circle etc with GREAT salaries. One in particular is making about $270/day on her first job out of college consulting.

Anyway to reiterate what someone else said, this is a very conservative town unless you hang out in say Adams Morgan or the younger areas. Peopel are very focused on careers asking what you do because most people come to DC for career reasons. To survive here in general you need to be focused on your career and that is a trait that people in DC will appreciate. Hopefully that's a better answer than before.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:04 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Yes it is, sorry if I seemed brutish.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:29 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Figured I'd chime in. So yeah being gay it's a little different, but guys are guys. In my nearly 2 years here I've been around the world. I've been on dates with much younger and much older. Sometimes it wasn't an official "date" but just hanging out. Those are usually the best when its like we're just hanging out enjoying each other's company.

I know what its like to walk into a bar and have every loser hitting on me and I've walked in the same bar and have been completely ignored. Also DC and Arlington are both extremely small its amazing in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country how often you'll run into the same people. Yes there are so many guys whose only attribute seems to be their job title. I've met the lifelong students who think I'm impressed by how many useless degrees they have. guys who turn out to be inane DC stereotypes are ignored and its on to the next one as the song goes. Of course there's the flat out liars who are bragging nonstop. A guy bragging out his fancy car parked right in front of the bar with a GS-13 job (despite being maybe 25) who is also a model. Surely I"m not the only one who has met his not so fair share of "models"?

A lot of guys in DC are definitely career obsessed. That ain't me. I just want to earn a paycheck and focus on my personal life not my work life. I work to live not live to work. I think if that's you DC is still a great place to be, you just have to put out that apb and those who have put out similar apbs will find you or you'll find them. But you know what? Teachers in DC love me. And they're great partiers too. So I might tell the OP to look for their next drinking buddy in the teacher's lounge. Gosh the stories I've heard from one of my teacher friends it was like listening to a soap opera. but yeah love teachers they def know how to balance partying/having a good time in the city with profressionalism better than most. Also if they talk about their jobs its truly to chat about their day versus bragging about how much money they made that day.

What else could I say about dating in DC? Well...its much easier to find a hookup than a boyfriend/girlfriend from my persepctive. DC is the sluttiest city.

Either way I say enjoy yourself and just have fun with the opposite or the same sex. Yeah its a slutty city (and I ain't complaining) but there's something here for everybody. You can't get discouraged though. Sometimes getting back on the horse is the funnest part.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:36 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
D.C. Has Lowest Marriage Rate In Nation, Largest Percentage of Same-Sex Couples
D.C. Has Lowest Marriage Rate In Nation, Largest Percentage of Same-Sex Couples - The Sexist - Washington City Paper

Old 05-18-2010, 07:54 PM

207 posts, read 537,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool23 View Post
I dont know, i think its similar to any other city---are you a looker ms. teacher?? where do you hang out?
Well I'm cute enough and like I said, I don't think all the attention is because I'm such hot stuff (which I am, lol) I just think that some men here will hit on anything in a skirt.

I'm someone's type that's for sure, but not everyone's. Although I have a huge "high water" butt that has often gotten me alot attention.

Anyway, I've just come to realize that desperation is not only a woman thing. Finding lots of desperate men out there since i've been in my 30's and its actually kind of funny.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:25 PM

21 posts, read 36,506 times
Default Dating in DC

I don't really know what to make of the dating scene here. Every time I venture out on the weekends (to U St. or Georgetown, or Clarendon if I decide to stay in NOVA), I end up regretting it. I go out hoping to strike up interesting conversations, but all of the guys seem cookie-cutter (not much to talk about besides their job, probably looking for a blonde chick with an MBA, which I am not) and boring.

Also, I find that most of the time, I'm the one striking up conversations. I'm 30, cute, and not a troll, and I do catch guys making eye contact, but they rarely come over and initiate conversation.

What's more disturbing, however, is the fact that the "douche quotient" seems so high, meaning that some of these guys are like overgrown frat boys. I stopped by the Local 16 (a popular hangout because of the rooftop bar) last weekend, and it was a Popped Collar Extravaganza. I know I'm generalizing, but it's just not my scene. I tend to think my kind of people are probably hanging at smaller establishments or local coffee shops, but sometimes it's hard to meet people in those settings.

I find the general dating vibe to be very superficial, but that's based on limited experience. I was in a relationship for part of the time I've lived here, and what I've observed is just from going out by myself occasionally on the weekends.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:56 AM

65 posts, read 201,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonata204 View Post
What's more disturbing, however, is the fact that the "douche quotient" seems so high, meaning that some of these guys are like overgrown frat boys. I stopped by the Local 16 (a popular hangout because of the rooftop bar) last weekend, and it was a Popped Collar Extravaganza. I know I'm generalizing, but it's just not my scene. I tend to think my kind of people are probably hanging at smaller establishments or local coffee shops, but sometimes it's hard to meet people in those settings.
I've noticed that there is definitely a large concentration of guys (especially friends of mine) who live for nothing but to binge drink and create new ridiculous hook-up stories every weekend. I'm about to turn 30 and I still have a few friends who haven't "settled down" and still behave this way. I feel like a lot of guys in the DC area take longer to settle down (or maybe it's just the current generation). I've never "gotten" the whole binge drinking thing. While I do love beer, it's never been my goal to go out and "get wasted" 3 nights a week. Still there's a "high quotient" of these guys out there, and they're not looking for a "date".

One pleasant change I've noticed is that I haven't seen politics used as a qualifier as much anymore. I got here in 2003, and I can't tell you how many times I had the second or third question after an introduction be "so who did you vote for?" or something along those lines. Where I was raised, you NEVER asked about a person's political affiliation; certainly not two seconds after you met them.

Overall, for a "settled" or "grounded" guy I think it's a little easier to find women than vice-versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC