Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 11:23 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,688,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. 14th & You View Post
repeatedly releasing juveniles with high numbers of arrests for serious crimes.
the punks who killed that principal are all prior offenders

Outrage Over Why Teens Charged For Murder Slipped Through Youth and Rehabilitation Services (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/outrage-over-why-teens-charged-for-murder-slipped-through-youth-and-rehabilitation-services-050410 - broken link)

good goin' DC DYRS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 05:28 PM

37 posts, read 90,422 times
I lived at 17th and Euclid for a while and I still work at the Hospital complex about a mile east of 1400 Girard. The other poster was pretty accurate when he talked about the area not being quite as bad as it used to be. That being said, there are still more than enough problems to keep the cops posted everyday during daylight hours. I would feel ok living there, but I also grew up in a housing project. From what you've posted I wouldn't recommend it.

Try Glover Park.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:57 PM

228 posts, read 920,169 times
Of all the places in NW DC *NOT* to live, 1400 Girard would probably be tops on my list (maybe tied with 7th and O, and 7th and Kennedy). I have no problem with Columbia Heights as a whole, but the southern end around the projects (Girard through Columbia) is pretty damn terrible.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:00 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,901,626 times
It would be one of the last places in the District that I'd choose to live. Yeah the crime is less than it used to be, but it still worse than most of the District.

Most of the properties for sale on that street and in the neighborhood are priced similarly, per square foot, as properties in other neighborhoods like Capitol Hill and U Street and Bloomingdale--and in my opinion all of those neighborhoods are safer and have more amenities for the price.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:10 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Most of the properties for sale on that street and in the neighborhood are priced similarly, per square foot, as properties in other neighborhoods like Capitol Hill and U Street and Bloomingdale--and in my opinion all of those neighborhoods are safer and have more amenities for the price.
This is so very true (although I don't know that Bloomingdale offers more amenities than Columbia Heights--a few businesses scattered about First Street doesn't exactly make a thriving commercial corridor).

I've maintained for years now that, generally speaking, Columbia Heights is overpriced for what it is. As far as it has come, it isn't a U Street, Logan or Capitol Hill, and yet it's priced like it is.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:02 AM

65 posts, read 201,491 times
It's priced that way because of the Realtor hype brought on by the new shopping. I think someone mentioned in another thread (maybe even you) that simply plopping modern retail down in the middle of a rough neighborhood does not make for gentrification. If anything, it makes crime even more *noticeable*.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:16 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,702,787 times
I don't know. I've walked through there at all hours and never seen or sensed danger. I know it happens, but I'm not sure it happens enough to dissuade someone from making a long-term investment in the area.

It's priced so high because it's surrounded by all the great neighborhoods in the middle of the city and now has major services. Might be a little premature, but I wouldn't let some "beef" that may or may not happen this summer turn you away. Many people of all walks of life move through there at all hours. If that's what constitutes a tough neighborhood nowadays, then we're doing pretty good. Just need to be aware of what's going on around you.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:43 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
It's priced so high because it's surrounded by all the great neighborhoods in the middle of the city
And I guess my feelings are, if you're going to pay those prices, live in one of those great neighborhoods.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:18 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,901,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I don't know. I've walked through there at all hours and never seen or sensed danger. I know it happens, but I'm not sure it happens enough to dissuade someone from making a long-term investment in the area.

It's priced so high because it's surrounded by all the great neighborhoods in the middle of the city and now has major services. Might be a little premature, but I wouldn't let some "beef" that may or may not happen this summer turn you away. Many people of all walks of life move through there at all hours. If that's what constitutes a tough neighborhood nowadays, then we're doing pretty good. Just need to be aware of what's going on around you.
Lots of things can seem not so bad when you're just passing through. Spend some more time in CH, and not just walking from the Metro entrance to Target, before you comment.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:32 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,702,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Lots of things can seem not so bad when you're just passing through. Spend some more time in CH, and not just walking from the Metro entrance to Target, before you comment.
Ummm.... I was talking about further down at Girard and 14, where I do a lot more than just walk through. Nice try though. It's transitional right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC