Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 09:07 AM

3 posts, read 7,554 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am trying to find out information about crime on the 1400-1500 block of Girard Street. I am considering buying property on/near this block, and I am concerned about safety, particularly as I am a female who will be living by myself.

I have heard varying information. Some people say this block has become safer (less violence, drugs, gangs) within the last 1-2 years, while others say this is still one of the worst/most violent blocks in Columbia Heights, including drug dealing and gang violence in the housing near the new park and community center.

I know there have been police iniatives in the area, but how effective have these initiatives been? I've looked at the crime statistics, but what I am looking for is more of a subjective sense of how safe it feels/seems. For example, crime statistics can't tell you whether it looks like there are gangs hanging out on the streets, drug dealing that cops don't notice, nefarious looking characters lurking about at night, verbal harassment when you're walking down the street, etc.

I would appreciate any information about this area. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 09:10 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,087,687 times
Judge for yourself vs. a neighborhood you are familiar with:

http://crimemap.dc.gov/

Old 05-16-2010, 10:01 PM

60 posts, read 136,330 times
yup yup...they livin the 1-4 life...what else is new lls...im bored dont mind me : )
It aint as bad as it used to be but they old heads(age 25-30s) some a** holes an they got nothin comin to em this summer for that bamma stuff they pulled so i advise u to wait till right after the summer
-From A Columbia Heights Baby : )
take my advise...I'm a nice kid from da hood thats all just wait till after the summer
ps. I'm chill but im not no snitch dont get it twisted

Old 05-16-2010, 10:16 PM

220 posts, read 704,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown_DC View Post
yup yup...they livin the 1-4 life...what else is new lls...im bored dont mind me : )
It aint as bad as it used to be but they old heads(age 25-30s) some a** holes an they got nothin comin to em this summer for that bamma stuff they pulled so i advise u to wait till right after the summer
-From A Columbia Heights Baby : )
take my advise...I'm a nice kid from da hood thats all just wait till after the summer
ps. I'm chill but im not no snitch dont get it twisted
She probably has no idea hat you just said.

Translation of what this poster just said:

Basically even though the area is going through gentrification and what not and its not as bad as it used to be, theres still problems in the area and crews ain't gone no where. During the summer it'll be a spark in beef and more violent crimes in the area, this is mainly because kids are outta school.

Coming from me, you don't wanna move there. Gang and crew beef is about to explode within that area.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:30 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,890,186 times
Here's my opinion, for what it's worth:

If you have to have someone translate what the above poster said, it might not be the best area for you. I have absolutely no idea what any of that means. And DCnative's explanation didn't really help....I have no idea what "during the summer it'll be a spark in beef" means. And that was supposed to be the translation.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:16 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,972 times
Lol. He is basically saying that these next few months will convince you that you don't need to buy property there.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:32 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,692 times
Noooo wayyyy

Old 05-17-2010, 11:33 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
he best area for you. I have absolutely no idea what any of that means. And DCnative's explanation didn't really help....I have no idea what "during the summer it'll be a spark in beef" means. And that was supposed to be the translation.
Yea it did, he actually gave a bit more reason.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:25 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
It means there'll be an increase in the amount of beef being cooked outdoors, everyone loves a barbeque/cookout

But really, it basically means that gangs and crews (aka gangs) will have more fights than usual in Urbanese. For some reason gangbangers prefer killing each other in warm weather, which isn't as as cookouts

Old 05-17-2010, 12:27 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,147 times
I wouldn't pay too much attention. This reads more like some pimple faced 14 year old out in Rockville trying to appear tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC