U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 02:37 PM

218 posts, read 762,362 times

Advertisements

I asked a similar question in the Philadelphia forum about that city, and I'm also going to DC, so I'll pose the same question here; what are some nice neighborhoods to walk around in, in Washington DC? Georgetown for one seems obvious, but more specific locations and other locations would be appreciated too. Generally I'd like to see neighborhoods with nice architecture, good street life, etc. Also reccomendations on restaurants would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 10:16 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,364,740 times
Dupont Circle is another obvious choice. You can walk from Dupont to Logan Circle, both areas have tons of shopping and eating places though not as much as Georgetown. Also, take a stroll through Old Town Alexandria for a similar vibe. I hear Capital Hill is nice too, though I really haven't seen much besides the Capitol Building and Barracks Row.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:33 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,894,333 times
Good way to tie different neighborhoods is to start at P Street in Georgetown (between 27th and 30th Street) and walk straight down P to 13th Street at Logan Circle - you'll pass right through Dupont Circle and will see good mix of DC architecture. If you walk from 30th to 13th straight down P, it's about a mile and a half.

You can add some interesting spots along the way by heading north of this route. Heading 1-2 blocks north to Q and R Street in Georgetown will bring you to Dumbarton House. Q Street around 21st will bring you to the Phillips Collection art museum. And if you head north from P between Connecticut Avenue and 17th you'll hit areas of ethnic restaurants/bars, etc.

If you walk up 18th Street for 10 minutes north of P, you'll hit Adams-Morgan, a big bar/restaurant neighborhood - just north of U Street. U Street itself is also a big bar/restaurant neighborhood between 18th and 12th.

I walk this area frequently and can provide more detail if you need it, but center your walk on P street and you'll see more interesting pieces of the city outside of Georgetown.

Also, you'll be walking through mostly wealthy areas, so fairly safe, although things start to go downhill if you head east (lower street numbers) of 11th street and P NW. I usually end my walks right at Logan Circle, which is at 13th and P.

You can do a second walk (or tie it to your first one if you've got the energy) by heading south on 13th through downtown to Penn Ave. From there head east and the Capitol Dome will be right in your face. You can walk around the dome to the south and continue on Penn Ave to 8th Street SE, where you'll hit Eastern Market and go through the Capitol Hill neighborhood. There are bars/restaurants around 4th and Penn SE, and a lot on 8th Street SE just south of Penn Ave.

If you head south from there and turn to your right you'll reach Nationals Park, our new baseball stadium. If you turn north you'll hit East Capitol Street and Lincoln Park at 11th and East Capitol. Because you're now in the east side of the city, the neighborhoods start to get worse as the street numbers go up. And east of 13th it's start to get fairly sketchy.

Guess I'd say I have the rule of 13s to stay out of the sketchy areas - If you're in the NW quadrant you want street numbers higher than 13, in the SE and NE quadrants you want them under 13. But I've walked all over most major US cities and DC is my favorite walking city, have a good trip!

Old 05-24-2010, 09:37 AM

specific restaurant recommendations - there are tons within a block of P street between 30th and 13th, depends on what you like

one of my favorite cheap eats though is Julia's Empanadas, there's one near Dupont Circle, guess it's a couple blocks south of P on Connecticut Ave, and another one in Adams-Morgan on 18th St, about 10 minute walk north of P

another favorite is a Korean restaurant Mandu - which is on 18th by S Street

Old 05-24-2010, 10:00 AM

708 posts, read 1,835,363 times
Julia's is a great cheap bite. Good and cheap bites in DC are hard to come by ecspecially downtown...

If you have ideas of what food you want we can help you out with more specific restaurants...

Old 05-24-2010, 01:57 PM

791 posts, read 1,572,281 times
At 22nd and S Streets, N.W. you can see the beautiful "Spanish Steps" which some compare to the famous ones in Rome, Italy. This is in the "Kalorama" neighborhood which in the Greek language means something like "scenic view."

At 2401 Kalorama Circle is "The Lindens" a house originally built in 1754 in Danvers, Mass., and moved to D.C. in 1935 and reconstructed. Therefore it's the oldest house in D.C. although it was not always located there.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
At 22nd and S Streets, N.W. you can see the beautiful "Spanish Steps" which some compare to the famous ones in Rome, Italy. This is in the "Kalorama" neighborhood which in the Greek language means something like "scenic view."
good call

also a cool view looking down on 22nd street from the top of the steps

Old 05-24-2010, 07:01 PM

791 posts, read 1,572,281 times
Next door to "The Lindens" by the way, is the French Embassy building.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:41 PM

2,799 posts, read 5,376,815 times
If you like steaks, head to Ray's the Classics in downtown Silver Spring. It is very close to the intersection of Georgia Avenue and Colesville Road.

Speaking of Silver Spring, the DC neighborhood that borders Silver Spring, Shepherd Park, has some interesting architecture, especially just north of Walter Reed Hospital, and is also very walkable. (I personally take my exercise walks through that neighborhood all the time.) However, Shepherd Park, unlike some of the other neighborhoods already mentioned, is entirely single family residential with essentially no commercial development.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:59 AM

220 posts, read 441,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
with essentially no commercial development.
Which is a good thing

One of the only places in Northwest that still looks the same as it did 10 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC