Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 06:11 AM

6,556 posts, read 6,613,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
Perhaps the more applicable standard would be that those who live in Virginia should avoid commenting on Washington governance
never mind Virginia, we had to have Congress run the city through a financial control board because of all the angry fools who re-elected a crackhead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
There are only white republicans out there.
Loudoun County has more Hispanics than the District, and went for Obama.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
if you have a heart attack while in Fair Oaks Mall
last time I was there, did look like a lot of people had spent too much time at the Cinnabon

Old 05-28-2010, 07:35 AM

15,404 posts, read 25,687,255 times
Quote:
Actually virtually all other jurisdictions tax income on where it's earned. If you work in New York City, you pay taxes to New York, regardless of where you live. DC's situation is due to it's position as a plantation run by and for Congressmen.

I have lived in several states, and all of them taxed based on where I lived. Your statement is wrong.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:37 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,151,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I have lived in several states, and all of them taxed based on where I lived. Your statement is wrong.
What states have you lived in where you assert that you are taxed based upon your residence?

Old 05-28-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
What states have you lived in where you assert that you are taxed based upon your residence?
New Hampshire.

When I lived in New England, a lot of people commuted 40-50 miles from Derry, Pelham, Nashua, and other New Hampshire border towns to Boston to avoid Boston city and Mass state taxes.

Also, Kansans who work in KC, Missouri don't pay tax, nor do Kentucky residents commmuting to Cincinnati, Wisconsin residents into Minneapolis, Wash State residents to Portland, Oregon, Illinois residents going to St. Louis, etc etc etc.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
New Hampshire.

When I lived in New England, a lot of people commuted 40-50 miles from Derry, Pelham, Nashua, and other New Hampshire border towns to Boston to avoid Boston city and Mass state taxes.

Also, Kansans who work in KC, Missouri don't pay tax, nor do Kentucky residents commmuting to Cincinnati, Wisconsin residents into Minneapolis, Wash State residents to Portland, Oregon, Illinois residents going to St. Louis, etc etc etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass
A Massachusetts nonresident is required to file a Massachusetts nonresident tax return if his/her Massachusetts source income exceeds the smaller of $8,000 or the prorated personal exemption. The prorated personal exemption is the personal exemption times the Massachusetts source income over the amount that would be Massachusetts gross income if the taxpayer were a full-year resident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri
You do not have to file a Missouri return if you are not required to file a federal return. If you are required to file a federal return, you may not have to file a Missouri return if:
  • you are a resident and have less than $1,200 of Missouri adjusted gross income;
  • you are a nonresident with less than $600 of Missouri income; or
  • your Missouri adjusted gross income is less than the amount of your standard deduction plus your personal exemption.
I'm too bored to go on. You should at least look one of these up before you post.

Last edited by rhinestone; 05-28-2010 at 09:19 AM..

Old 05-28-2010, 09:02 AM

457 posts, read 1,105,474 times
Quote:
I'm too board to go on. You should at least look one of these up before you post.
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the nonresident status is for people that live in these states part time (2nd home, etc). Not a commuter tax.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Actually virtually all other jurisdictions tax income on where it's earned. If you work in New York City, you pay taxes to New York, regardless of where you live. DC's situation is due to it's position as a plantation run by and for Congressmen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymon83 View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the nonresident status is for people that live in these states part time (2nd home, etc). Not a commuter tax.
Actually my statement was that as far as I can find, states tax income where it is earned. If you work in NYC, you pay income taxes there regardless of where you live. This area is unique because Congress controls the District's ability to levy income taxes and the Congressmen come from Virginia and Maryland. So you're right in that the District is seeking to impose is a "commuter tax." That is because Congress will not allow it to apply an income tax based upon where the income is earned.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:04 AM

660 posts, read 1,700,634 times
Quote:
Actually my statement was that as far as I can find, states tax income where it is earned. If you work in NYC, you pay income taxes there regardless of where you live. This area is unique because Congress controls the District's ability to levy income taxes and the Congressmen come from Virginia and Maryland. So you're right in that the District is seeking to impose is a "commuter tax." That is because Congress will not allow it to apply an income tax based upon where the income is earned.
How do I File a Nonresident State Tax Return? - TurboTax® Support

Scroll down 2/3 of the way down the page. You'll see that the DC/MD/VA income tax relationship is hardly unique. Philadelphia, Chicago, Cincinnati...all of them are multi-state metro areas where you pay income taxes where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC