Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 05:58 PM

9 posts, read 21,852 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I am hoping you can help me out.

I might be moving to DC soon, and I have some questions. I will be working @ Bolling but not quite sure where I will be living. I have been looking around the Stadium/Navy Yards area, as well as up by Dupont Circle. My goal is to make use of the Metro to get to/from work, but I notice that the closest metro station to Bolling is in Anacostia.

Now I have read all of the "generalizations" about the SE area, but most of the things I read seem to be 3-4 years old. Some of those older comments also talk about revitalization projects taking place in the Anacostia area. I know DHS is moving into St. Elizabeth's, but aside from what else is being done in that area? I don't plan on living in that area, but I am curious what people have to say now...since most of the comments on the area are dated.

A few more questions...

How do the other people who work on base utilize the metro? Do they walk to/from the Anacostia station?

Is the Anacostia station itself safe?

How is the area around the Stadium/Navy Yards now? I seen some comments about it being up-and-coming several years back...how is it now?

Lastly, I will be looking for a studio in a new (or newer) mid-rise building. I would like to stay close to the metro, and be centrally located. I have found plenty of places online, but I am curious if anyone has any recommendations.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 06:02 PM

Default I forgot a question...

I had one more question that I forgot.

I know the traffic in DC is horrible, but how is the traffic between the stadium area and Bolling using the Frederick Douglas bridge? I ask because if utilizing the metro is not an option, and traffic over that bridge is not too bad, I would consider driving to/from work.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:30 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
According to Google Maps it would take about 4 minutes to drive from the Navy Yard station to one of the entrances of Bolling AFB. I can't imagine it taking much longer in traffic, especially since I'm certain the majority of traffic would be going into DC.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:43 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,306 times
I used to drive that way every morning. very little traffic. My suggestion is to stay in either the Navy Yard Area or SW Waterfront and drive.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:45 AM

Default Good info

Great, thats exactly what I was looking for!

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the navy yards area, and the area around the stadium?

Thanks for the replies.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:00 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
The biggest downside to the Navy Yard area, in my opinion, is that it's a little quiet. At the moment it's mostly office and condo buildings, with little in the way of dining/retail options in the immediate area. The economy hit development companies pretty hard, so while a lot of buildings went up, the ground-level retail hasn't really come yet.

Beyond that, it's pretty safe, near a Metro station, and close to Capitol Hill and downtown. I think it gets rougher as you go further south towards Buzzard Point and around South Capitol, but overall it isn't that bad. I live over on the SW side of South Capitol Street and love it here. You mentioned newer buildings, so in addition to Navy Yard you could check out some of the ones by the Waterfront Metro. Several have renovated recently and you'd only be a few extra blocks from work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC