Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:50 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,642,719 times

Advertisements

Breaking: Gray cuts streetcars - Greater Greater Washington

Facepalm to the 40th power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 12:30 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,837,605 times
Personally I haven't been a fan of the project--I think adding a third type of transit just adds to the mess that is Metro, rather than helping. Especially since the project wasn't going to connect the street car to any metro stations. But this far into the project? And to divert the funds to build more parks in Georgetown of all things?

I hope Gray wasn't thinking this was going to win him any votes in the mayoral.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:37 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,219,620 times
But then they would have wasted all the construction money and they have already bought some of the street cars...

Cities like philadelphia have a subway, busses, and street cars.... Lots of european cities have them too.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:11 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,703,190 times
Streetcars are a waste of dayum time.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:55 PM

605 posts, read 2,153,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Personally I haven't been a fan of the project--I think adding a third type of transit just adds to the mess that is Metro, rather than helping. Especially since the project wasn't going to connect the street car to any metro stations.
I agree; I'd rather have more Metro stations than add above ground light rail.

Yet, Metro is broke. Also, building Metro stations causes a lot of surface disruption. The neighborhoods that were affected by the green line extension in the 1990s suffered a lot for it. Many local business shuttered during the extensive construction period.

Even if the Metro budget were suddenly flush, I don't think you'd see DC relocating underground transformers, digging up streets, moving water and sewer pipes, etc. just to add underground stations to the current system. And the cost would be DC's. I doubt that Anapolis and Richmond would pony up for stations to serve urban infill. If the money did magically appear, it would still take a minimum of 10 years from planning to execution. (Look at how long it's been just to get something on the old DC convention center land, even though the plans to demolish it were in place ages ago.)

DDOT has a stated mission not to add any vehicular capacity to DC streets. In fact, we've been cutting traffic lanes for bikes lanes for about three years. I believe that DC has also done away with requirements that developers build a certain number of parking spaces for each residential unit or x square feet of commercial property.

Now that we have more residents and more commuters, how will we accommodate them? As above, adding more cars to the streets is out. Adding more Metro cars or routes does not appear feasible. Adding more buses just chokes up vehicular traffic (and buses already move at an average speed of less than 15 m.p.h.) So, we either have to have dedicated bus ways (coming soon to K Street) or streetcars or both.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:06 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,642,719 times
Only things I can think of are removing the height limit for residential buildings and developing more areas around Metro stations.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:25 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,531,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Personally I haven't been a fan of the project--I think adding a third type of transit just adds to the mess that is Metro, rather than helping. Especially since the project wasn't going to connect the street car to any metro stations.
This has been my biggest problem with it. These are kind of the streetcars to nowhere--I understand that they had reasons for running them where they did, but it just didn't make sense to me why you wouldn't, for instance, connect the H Street streetcar line with the Gallery Place/Chinatown Metro stop.

I support the idea of streetcars, and I think there are a number of corridors that would benefit from them, but the execution could be better.

That said, the timing on this move by Gray is completely bogus. The time to axe the money for this project was years ago, before cars had been built and tracks had been laid. To do it now strikes me as either incompetence or an ill-planned quick fix to a budget issue.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:41 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,837,605 times
late breaking news....

Streetcar funding restored

Maybe Vincent Gray just wants to be thought of as the hero who saved the streetcars?

Old 05-26-2010, 04:50 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,940,897 times
I still think building an elevated train was better than streetcars. El train's don't disturb traffic one bit. Hell make it an elevated street car line

Old 05-26-2010, 04:59 PM

605 posts, read 2,153,236 times
It's one option. However, I think that DC's zoning laws would prohibit elevated structures like train lines. In fact, one of the arguments against the street cars is that laws will have to be changed to allow for overhead power lines. One H St. citizens group was trying to scuttle the project because of the "unsightly" wires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC