Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 02:02 AM

123 posts, read 246,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
For me it all came down to finances. The ONLY way I could afford to live in the city would be to get roommates. All of my friends who were also relocating already shacked up (I'm the ONLY single one left of all of my friends because of how physically ugly I am), leaving me sticking out like the loser in a game of "musical chairs." With how miserable my first year here in Reston was I didn't want to take the risk of rooming with a complete stranger in order to live in the city with a 50/50 shot of my housemate being respectful, considerate, and friendly or "party all night", immature, slobby, and discourteous. I'm just not that much of a gambler. Living alone in a far-out vanilla suburb I hate pretty much equates on the "misery index" for me with potentially living with a nightmare roommate in a city I love. I'm 23. Most males my age only care about slamming tons of hot chicks and/or "getting wasted." It's a shame, too, since I thought most people should have OUTGROWN that immature lifestyle when they graduated from college. A nice night for me would be cooking dinner for my roomie, sitting on the couch watching TV together, discussing politics, going to a museum together, grabbing a pizza with mutual friends, etc. In this area it's mostly just a case of "KEGGERRR!!"

I'm derived from an environment where alcohol hurt people whom I cared about. It nearly destroyed my family. It damaged me a lot inside. To say I don't like being around people with drinking problems because of that is an understatement, but MOST (not all) of the peers I've befriended so far in this area think drinking themselves into a stupor is "fun." I don't want to be around that. So far in this area alcohol has broken my heart---thrice. So far in this area alcohol caused me to nearly be killed as I tried to defend a drunken ex-friend from another drunk whom he accosted on the street in The District. I'm sorry to be a "buzzkill", but I just can't immerse myself with people who think it's "okay" to be a jerk because "I was drunk and couldn't help it." For such an educated area the people here really are DUMB when it comes to blaming their problems on alcohol.
You spend over a $1000 a month in rent, no? There are basement apartments available all over the city within that range. Maybe a tad more expensive. It's not going to be Dupont or Georgetown, but Capitol Hill is a great area with good deals. Look around and make the change if you truly want it.

As for you saying you're ugly... a very old saying but it's true: there's nothing sexier than confidence. Have some faith in yourself, and people will respond positively no matter how physically 'challenged' you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 02:04 AM

Btw, I'll introduce you to my ex. You sound like twins.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
What turns me off from the DC nightlife is how the obnoxious and self-absorbed attitudes are amplified, something one would expect from NYC or LA nightlife, but all without the amenities that NYC or LA provides. I don't care what anyone says, but that alone will negate any attractions a nightlife has, especially considering how a lot of today's 20-somethings wants to place emphasis on meeting people at nightlife establishments.
Where do you go out? K street? I mean, if you want a stuffy, snooty boring environment, that's the place to go. However, there are areas all over the city that are filled with plenty of life, good times, and great music. I'm partial to U and H St. I don't generally see this kind of behavior in these areas.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:13 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordPony90 View Post
Where do you go out? K street? I mean, if you want a stuffy, snooty boring environment, that's the place to go. However, there are areas all over the city that are filled with plenty of life, good times, and great music. I'm partial to U and H St. I don't generally see this kind of behavior in these areas.
Ironically, I was referring to U St in my last description, although K St is just a different version of the same garbage, just "snooty transplant yuppie" instead of "local gauche bluppie".

Old 05-30-2010, 05:04 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordPony90 View Post
Agree completely. I moved to Fairfax from Florida a few years ago. Was absolutely miserable for the longest time, and blamed it on DC. It wasn't DC's fault that I live(d) in a god awful, boring anywhere-America suburb.
I'm kinda changing my views on this subject too. I hated Northern VA and thought DC was the same. While I likely won't move back, I know now that DC and NoVA are two seperate monsters. If I ever visit the area again, I'll probably spend more time in DC as opposed to NoVA.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Ironically, I was referring to U St in my last description, although K St is just a different version of the same garbage, just "snooty transplant yuppie" instead of "local gauche bluppie".
We're not seeing the same thing, I guess.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:52 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'm kinda changing my views on this subject too. I hated Northern VA and thought DC was the same. While I likely won't move back, I know now that DC and NoVA are two seperate monsters. If I ever visit the area again, I'll probably spend more time in DC as opposed to NoVA.
I wonder how snobby Chevy Chase is. I know there's a clydes there or something like that, I cannot imagine what the people are like who go there....

Old 05-30-2010, 06:55 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,155,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Don't mention museums, I've done them all a millions times, I live here, I'm not a tourist.

DC has

(1) horrific traffic

(2) lots of crime

(3) very expensive

(4) nasty people

(5) no distinct culture

(6) very few night night places for a city of its size (Albany NY must have 10x as many bars as DC)
Yeah, the Potomac River separates us from Virginia. (Now if we could just get those bridges to fall)

Old 05-30-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
What turns me off from the DC nightlife is how the obnoxious and self-absorbed attitudes are amplified, something one would expect from NYC or LA nightlife, but all without the amenities that NYC or LA provides. I don't care what anyone says, but that alone will negate any attractions a nightlife has, especially considering how a lot of today's 20-somethings wants to place emphasis on meeting people at nightlife establishments.

A lot of what you described tends to be a lot worse as you get closer to DC. I noticed that you want to move to DC seeing how it's "unique, special, and lively." But in all honesty, the things that concern you about immature 20-somethings epitomize most of the yuppies in the city itself.
For as snobby as the area is, there's really no basis. I guess there's an excuse possibly in NYC or LA, but nothing here justifies the snobbery.

A good thing about DC, is that it filters off the nasty people from other cities, so they flock to DC, leaving nicer people back in those cities.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
Yeah, the Potomac River separates us from Virginia. (Now if we could just get those bridges to fall)
Wrong. Every island you see in the potomac is part of DC. you'd lose access to parts of DC with your wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC