Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2010, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 10,123 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to DC and am trying to transition from the for-profit to nonprofit sector in the conservation/environment field; however, it seems most advertised nonprofit jobs ask for salary requirements upfront. Can anyone give me insight into appropriate salary ranges at the program assistant/associate level for mid to large nonprofits? Or % of for-profit salary that could be expected (i.e. 10% less, 20% less?). I don’t want to overprice myself out of consideration for the job nor undervalue myself. I have a Masters degree and 3 years experience but will most likely be pursuing entry-level nonprofit work as it seems mid-level jobs need substantial prior nonprofit experience.

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 11:03 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,702,947 times
It all depends. I say ask for what you think you are worth. If they want you, they will make an offer. You will soon find out that there is just as much greed in the Non-profit sector as there is in the Private sector.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:31 AM

446 posts, read 1,641,727 times
I believe there is variance in pay within the non-profit sector. You might want to look at salary.com and try and piece together an idea. Also, give a figure to answer their question, but you may want to say that you are negotiable b/c of your dedication to the organization's mission, etc.

Another idea is that you could call a few staffing firms in DC and explain to them that you are looking for non-profit work. Not only can they help you find additional opportunities to the one you already found, but they could likely give you a very reliable ballpark figure for the position you are looking for (considering your education) in DC.

Hope that helps and good luck to you with the job!!!

Old 05-28-2010, 06:57 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,651,394 times
If you're looking entry level, you're probably looking at no more than about $35k..

Old 06-01-2010, 04:53 PM

605 posts, read 2,153,092 times
Many non profits have rigid budgets. For an entry-level position, $35 to $45k is not uncommon.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:56 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,326,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
If you're looking entry level, you're probably looking at no more than about $35k..
Yeah, for entry level, that sounds about right. As you climb up the chain at small to mid-size nonprofits, you can find yourself making in the $55-$75k range, with the CEO/Director usually making a fair bit more than that. Of course, the real biggies, like the Red Cross, have CEOs making $1 million or so. Bottom line, nonprofits do not have a lot of money to spend on salaries. People work there more the cause than the paycheck. Plus, donors and members are less likely to give if they think all their money is going to paying high salaries. Still, there are a lot of great nonprofit jobs in DC, and you will find a lot of committed people working in them. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC