U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 01:10 AM

2 posts, read 8,909 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Silver Springs (Calverton) area and work in NW DC. Long story short, my Ex is giving up our pitbull and I am taking her, but the current apartment complex I live in is breed restrictions. I am willing to relocate and can pay up to about 1150-1250 a month in rent. I was just wondering if anyone had advice on the best place to look or where I may be the most successful?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 09:36 AM

4,489 posts, read 5,643,073 times
Pits are illegal in PG County (), so cross that entire area off your search.

Honestly, I've yet to find an apartment complex that doesn't have breed restrictions, sadly. Your best bet is probably going to be finding a private owner, through Craigslist or something. When we were looking for a place for my husband and me and our dog, we offered to let the landlord meet the dog, provided proof of obedience classes and a "doggy resume" and got a reference from our current landlord saying she never caused any issues.

Good luck.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:20 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,358,741 times
The apartment complexes that do allow pits in this area are mainly the ones East of the River in Far N.E. and S.E. but even most of them might not want to put up with a pitbull.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:10 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 2,165,028 times
Good luck with that one... Personally, I am glad my complex does not allow them.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:33 PM

123 posts, read 299,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkelly View Post
I currently live in Silver Springs (Calverton) area and work in NW DC. Long story short, my Ex is giving up our pitbull and I am taking her, but the current apartment complex I live in is breed restrictions. I am willing to relocate and can pay up to about 1150-1250 a month in rent. I was just wondering if anyone had advice on the best place to look or where I may be the most successful?

Thanks!
I've been a pit owner all my life. Fantastic companion. You're gonna have trouble finding an apartment unless its privately owned. The hell with a crampy apt anyway. This breed is part of the terrier family, meaning they need lots of exercise and an apartment may not be ideal anyway. I live in wheaton hills which is down the street from the mall. Their are a lot of rentals in my hood that may be in your price range or maybe a couple of hundred more with a backyard and easy access to the city and metro. gl

Old 06-06-2010, 06:35 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,663,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
Good luck with that one... Personally, I am glad my complex does not allow them.
Why? They are listed by the AKC as one of the best breeds with children. They are easy to train. Smart. Friendly.

There are no bad breeds...only bad breeders and bad owners.

And no, I do not own a pit bull.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:11 AM

309 posts, read 467,646 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: orphaned
no offense but...ive heard way too many cases where a pit has attacked someone or another dog..I've never really heard about poodle attacks...I'm sure they are wonderful animals but please don't insult another person's intelligence because they don't happen to want to be around an animal that has the capability to kill and attack...I mean look at their jaws for christ's sake, that could break your arm on one chomp...lord knows I have my fears about them, and also with snakes, lizards, sharks,lionfish, monkeys and any other unorthodox pet besides a regular dog, gerbil/hamster and de-clawed cat but hey people will keep what they want*shrugs*

anyways to the OP-I do wish you luck...I know someone mentioned NE but living out here, i had a hard time finding a place to even accept a dog over 25-30 lbs so I could imagine the hassle with trying to house a pitull....I think as someone else mentioned you're going to have to make sure that you prove how safe your dog is AND also prove that you as an owner are capable of taking care of it and keeping it secure. Having it be on a leash at all times, maybe having a pen to put in your apartment so it doesn't get out, paying for reinforced locks or a more secure door (I've seen some pits just bite down on wooden gates over time and just destroy it so I'm sure apartment owners are thinking about the potential damage that may come with these dogs)

Last edited by Yac; 06-07-2010 at 03:11 AM..

Old 06-06-2010, 10:11 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,663,582 times
Quote:
they don't happen to want to be around an animal that has the capability to kill and attack...I mean look at their jaws for christ's sake, that could break your arm on one chomp...lord knows I have my fears about them
I have a 155 pound German Shepherd (Huge for a Shepherd, I know). He could do the same thing. Should we ban German Shepherds?

GaBison,

I completely understand your fear of the breed. I honestly do. We knew a family whose 2 year old daughter was killed by the family's pit bull. It was a horrific story. Absolutely heartbreaking. But there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that there was more to that story than was reported.

The media loves stories about "Pit Bull" attacks. Sadly, in many of these attacks, the dog wasn't a pit bull at all, but simply a breed that looks very similar. See if you can accurately spot a "Pit Bull" here... Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull . I'm not being ugly. I really feel people need to understand why these dogs are unfairly victimized so often.

Breed bans don't solve the real problem. We should be targeting bad breeders and bad owners. And people who want to own large breed dogs of any kind should be screened.

For the record, many of the dogs labeled "most likely to bite" are smaller dogs. But the smaller dogs don't cause nearly the damage that larger dogs do.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBison2007 View Post
no offense but...ive heard way too many cases where a pit has attacked someone or another dog..I've never really heard about poodle attacks...I'm sure they are wonderful animals but please don't insult another person's intelligence because they don't happen to want to be around an animal that has the capability to kill and attack...I mean look at their jaws for christ's sake, that could break your arm on one chomp...lord knows I have my fears about them, and also with snakes, lizards, sharks,lionfish, monkeys and any other unorthodox pet besides a regular dog, gerbil/hamster and de-clawed cat but hey people will keep what they want*shrugs*

anyways to the OP-I do wish you luck...I know someone mentioned NE but living out here, i had a hard time finding a place to even accept a dog over 25-30 lbs so I could imagine the hassle with trying to house a pitull....I think as someone else mentioned you're going to have to make sure that you prove how safe your dog is AND also prove that you as an owner are capable of taking care of it and keeping it secure. Having it be on a leash at all times, maybe having a pen to put in your apartment so it doesn't get out, paying for reinforced locks or a more secure door (I've seen some pits just bite down on wooden gates over time and just destroy it so I'm sure apartment owners are thinking about the potential damage that may come with these dogs)
Why speculate on a breed you've never had?

These dogs were bred (years ago) to fight other dogs in a contained pit. And no, it did not start in your inner cities as one would believe. Research the history and you might be surprised who bred these dogs to be this way!!!! Anyway, they were also bred to never, never be human aggressive. If socialized at an early age and raised properly by a responsible owner you have a magnificent pet. My current 9yr old 80lbs pit was raised going to pet smart to be groomed and not once have we had a problem. As an owner I will not put him in a situation that is undesirable. I love my dog and will always have a pit bull as a companion.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
Why? They are listed by the AKC as one of the best breeds with children. They are easy to train. Smart. Friendly.

There are no bad breeds...only bad breeders and bad owners.

And no, I do not own a pit bull.
I'll tell you why!! because they're are silly, playful, and love to be around the family. they're not guard dogs so they have that guard instinct to snap at everything. also, their pain threshhold is second to none so you are able to pull and tug (like kids do) on their body/coat without them flinching. would i leave them unattended with a child? of course not. but overall this is one hell of a pet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC