Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2010, 02:09 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,515,340 times

Advertisements

It's a lighthearted question, but, I just wonder what other residents of Whatcom County think of it. Skagit County is in between, but I think it's more reasonable to say Seattle is their major city, or they depend on it more than Vancouver....Bellingham and points north, however?
I just said it since I put as current city on my Facebook page Vancouver. Very few people know where Bellingham is, (even though I'm about 12 miles closer to Bellingham than Vancouver), or what it is and Seattle is just over 100 miles from me.....
Just curious, even though one could say, Who cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 11:45 AM

151 posts, read 558,709 times
Well...I wouldn't consider Seattle a huge city but at least the closest major city to Bellingham. Even though it is an hour away it is an easy drive and there is a lot to do so I enjoy heading to Seattle, the train ride down from Bham is awesome. Vancouver is also a great city but it depends on the border waits...on a busy weekend you can be there for at least an hour if not more, which is why I tend to stay away from going to Canada except for when going to Whistler or IKEA.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:44 PM

850 posts, read 3,710,520 times
I would say Seattle since you do actually live in the United States, not Canada. I'm a little confused as to why Angelagardner doesn't consider Seattle a huge city with the population of the area being in the millions (including surrounding areas, not just city central).

Old 06-22-2010, 12:25 PM

576 posts, read 2,257,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
I would say Seattle since you do actually live in the United States, not Canada. I'm a little confused as to why Angelagardner doesn't consider Seattle a huge city with the population of the area being in the millions (including surrounding areas, not just city central).
I agree with you that most west-coasters consider Seattle a large city (although everything is relative I suppose! ) but, at least if you're just counting city limits population, Seattle and Vancouver, BC are actually about the same size- roughly 600K. (I suppose the 2010 census numbers could show a population change, we'll see)

"Millions" for Seattle and surrounds? I know it seems like it during rush hour traffic on I-5 Realistically though, you'd have to include the entire population of the whole of King Co. (~1.9M) just to get anywhere near to a plurality of millions. Again, we'll see what the 2010 census numbers look like... But you're still right about size, as almost one third of the population (~29%) of WA state resides in King Co.- which of course is Seattle and surrounding areas!

Old 06-22-2010, 01:19 PM

2,812 posts, read 5,615,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendrite View Post
I agree with you that most west-coasters consider Seattle a large city (although everything is relative I suppose! ) but, at least if you're just counting city limits population, Seattle and Vancouver, BC are actually about the same size- roughly 600K. (I suppose the 2010 census numbers could show a population change, we'll see)

"Millions" for Seattle and surrounds? I know it seems like it during rush hour traffic on I-5 Realistically though, you'd have to include the entire population of the whole of King Co. (~1.9M) just to get anywhere near to a plurality of millions. Again, we'll see what the 2010 census numbers look like... But you're still right about size, as almost one third of the population (~29%) of WA state resides in King Co.- which of course is Seattle and surrounding areas!
And that's exactly what it is- the Seattle metro area is 3.5 million people- that is just the contiguous urban/suburban development from Seattle outwards, not even counting the other towns and cities that hopscotch their way further up and down the Puget Sound. The entire Puget Sound region is 4 million. That is pretty good sized- maybe not huge compared to the 6 million that the Dallas/Ft. Worth metro have or the 10+ million the Los Angeles metro have, but still a big city nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington