U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-16-2010, 01:58 PM

5 posts, read 5,590 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I'm new here and had made a post a few weeks ago about places in WA to live, but the more me and my husband talk about it we are really leaning towards Olympia. Does anyone here live there or have any experience there?

A little about me (so you don't have to look it up if you wonder lol) I'm 24 years old, married, and we have a toddler and animals. We plan on having more kids also, but I do plan on homeschooling so while school areas aren't crucial I still want a nice place to raise my kids and for them to have friends etc. We like to do things outdoors a lot and go to the zoo, go on walks, bike sometimes. We also prefer to eat organically and love farmer's markets. My husband is military right now and un sure about what he's doing when he gets out, so no idea on jobs right now. We are also hoping to buy a house, at least 3 bedrooms, what price range would we be looking at for a decent, nice neighborhood house?

I plan to go searching the forums for things about Olympia, I just haven't had time yet. So, I will check out what some have already said if it was talked about. But, I was also hoping someone could tell me what the weather was like there year round, how much rain etc etc.. From what I know it is overcast/cloudy a lot of the year, rain a lot (but mostly drizzle) and the summers don't get too hot.. am I correct about any of that lol? Just a nice explanation of the weather would be great! Is there a lot to do around there, places to take kids?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure I'll think of more lol but thanks for any help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 05:12 PM

5,611 posts, read 6,593,843 times
Its actually more wetter in Olympia than in Seattle. But the summers in PNW is just too hard to beat! Problem with a lot of statistics is that they don't really give you a whole idea of what to expect. Even though they say overcast/cloudy, sun still shines. Winters (esp. early winter) in general tend to be harder because the days tend to end earlier (4 pm-ish) and tends to be dark, very cool and wet. Unless it's an El Niño year, then it'll be drier and sunnier in the winter. Summer's day tend to be much longer, with the daylight still going on till after 9pm.

You can't go wrong anywhere in Olympia, its just an overall very lovely place to raise kids. Personally I LOVE the area of Boston Harbor-- its more of a rural area right on the water.

There's lots to do in Olympia. Great access to nature. Great Farmer's Market. Zoos both in Tacoma and Seattle.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:14 PM

14,205 posts, read 26,377,457 times
Not be dependent on Public Schools means you can live just about anywhere... one of the reasons people choose Olympia is because there are some very good schools here.

Weather... where I am it can snow a couple of times a year and be gone by the afternoon... it can also get hot... not typical... but last year had a few days that were a scorcher...

Old 06-16-2010, 07:44 PM

5 posts, read 5,590 times
Thank you both for you answers already, I love hearing good things about it, hopefully we will be taking a trip up there sometime this year to check everything out.

Another question I guess I had was so if it's not cloudy/overcast as much as I think is it warmer because of that or is it still fairly cool a lot of the time? What kind of clothing do you have to wear year round? Are there any certain places (areas to live) where it would be easy access to walking/biking to parks or downtown or the waterfront?

Old 06-17-2010, 01:18 AM

14,205 posts, read 26,377,457 times
There is a lot of biking and walking and organized runs...

I like the old train right of way that is now a trail out Boston Harbor Way and Priest Point Park is always a favorite with visitors...

No matter what anyone says... Olympia Weather is very different from Florida...

I had visitors from CA in March and it did get to freezing some nights... during the day it was mostly in the 50's...

Since I'm not a hot weather fan... it was perfect for me

Old 06-17-2010, 04:01 PM

961 posts, read 2,565,276 times
Iheartcats,

Home prices in Olympia average round $300K, but you can also get nice homes starting at $230K. Since Olympia has so many parks, trails and playgrounds, you'll never be far from them, no matter where you live. If you'd like to be able to walk into town, to the lake, or the farmer's market, you'll want to live either in the Eastside neighborhood, in the close-in West side, or the South Capitol neighborhood. If you don't mind driving, and schools are not so important, then you might even consider the community of Lacey, where there are quite a few neighborhoods with access to the Chehalis Western Trail, and where home prices are a little cheaper than in downtown Olympia. Your husband should have a good chance finding employment at the nearby Lewis/McChord military installation.
If weather is a concern to you, come out to visit between November and March, when the climate is at its dreariest. If you come in the summer, you'll be smitten and won't want to live anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington