Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 02:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalsteelheader View Post
Oh now come on. Twenty feet of water covering I-5 never stopped anyone.
So true, toughen up and buy a submarine for We_t Side winters

(I have a feeling this area will become more and more popular as things warm up.(dry out) I'm wash n' wear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 12:07 AM

1 posts, read 3,393 times
Speaking of Tenino, did it get flooding like Chehalis in 2007? If I remember, it's got the Skookumchuck River nearby.

Mike-

Old 07-06-2010, 01:05 AM

52 posts, read 200,159 times
It got bad but the biggest problem with flooding was near the Centrailia overpass to Green Hill in Chehalis. There is a large section that floods out and too be honest I don't see any improvement coming.

The good news is I commuted from Aberdeen to Chehalis for almost 4 years and was never unable to get to work or home when the flooding happened. You can over the hills East of Chehalis and come back out in downtown Centraila and get where you need to go. If you live or work on the west side of I-5 you'd be up the creek though

Old 07-23-2010, 09:58 PM

12 posts, read 54,792 times
Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Old 12-27-2013, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 4,573 times
Olympia, Lacey, Bremerton, Silverdale, Poulsbo, Gig Harbor, all are very nice smaller cities with all ameneties and conveniences. These smaller cities are safe, quiet, affordable and just a ferry ride from Seattle, or an hour and a half drive. They are nice places to raise a family, or retire, or just to live a less-harried, enjoyable life. Scenery is pretty, not all city.. and still plenty to do! Many smaller towns exist all over outside the congestion of the bigger city, without all the hassles and irritations, and less crime, lower taxes... The farther you get from Seattle the better, in my opinion.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 4,573 times
ALLYN, Belfair, or Shelton WA also have very country-feeling areas without being too far from amenities.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:59 PM

255 posts, read 660,252 times
Enumclaw area? 30 Min to Tacoma, beautiful scenery, etc..

Old 12-29-2013, 05:16 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,171,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
Very different places but you can google them and see which you like best:

North Bend - east of downtown Seattle by about 35 miles, cool little mtn town but close to Issaquah, with Target, Costco, etc.
Anacortes - hopping off point for the San Juans though I am not sure it is in your price range, not exactly but small but has lots of personality
Mt Vernon - pretty town in the Skagit Valley area, home of the tulip festival
Sequim - home of the lavendar festival, more sunny than Seattle
Port Townsend - I love this place! On the water, great views...An Officer and A Gentleman was filmed in Port T.
Poulsbo - my friend's dad loves his life there. On the way to Sequim and Port T.
Camano Island/Stanwood - lots of beautiful small farm properties in Stanwood but close to Camano Island and water. 45 minutes from Seattle

I also love Whidbey Island but again, it might not be in your price range. But I might retire there or Orcas Island someday if I can afford it!
Port Townsend would be out because the OP wanted a Costco and Target, and we have to drive to Silverdale or Sequim for those, which is a 45-minute drive for me, 30+ if you live close to the south end of town. Poulsbo would be a good choice!

Old 12-29-2013, 11:37 PM

268 posts, read 366,367 times
I was going to suggest Elma (or even McCleary) until I noticed that your idea of a small town is 20-50K. I am not familiar enough with the cities south of Olympia to make a suggestion. However, the cities of Olympia / Lacey / Tumwater are worth looking into.

If you're looking for acreage, west of Olympia to Elma is still relatively inexpensive.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:35 PM

18 posts, read 31,063 times
I would suggest eather Whidby island or fidalgo island they connect to mainland with a bridge and have nice small towns such as Anacortes,Langley and Oak harbor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington