U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 01:50 PM

808 posts, read 1,349,891 times
Default Why so many Russian immigrants in Lynnwood?

I work for a general medical facility that takes many calls a day from the King/Snohomish County area. I noticed that about 20-25% of our Lynnwood patients are Russian. I went to research some stats for that demographic and why Lynnwood seems to be the hub but have found nothing online. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 02:02 PM

403 posts, read 516,632 times
There are a lot in the Crossroads area of Bellevue too. I think it's because there's money here, and they're business the minded ones that are migrating. Or because Wa is more open to other cultures than many parts of the US.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:40 PM

8,197 posts, read 14,284,669 times
Kent also has a large Russian and Ukrainian population, and between Kent and Renton there must be half a dozen Russian grocery stores.
Lynnwood, Crossroads, and Kent have been among the less expensive parts of the Seattle area, so maybe that's part of it.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:11 PM

46 posts, read 160,005 times
I think because it's an affordable, more suburban area? There are actually a lot of Russians in the King County area in general, the cities that tend to be destinations for recent immigrants (e.g. Bellevue, Kent, Renton, and Lynnwood too I suppose). Snohomish County actually has a noticeably large number of Russians, specifically in Everett and Lake Stevens. I'm not sure if there's a real reason for it other than the typical pattern of immigrants migrating to the neighborhoods where there are immigrant communities already established/flourishing. Even if you are a fresh immigrant, you aren't so linguistically and socially isolated if you live in a neighborhood where plenty of other people are speaking the language and going to the same church.

There are large numbers of Russians in Whatcom and Clark Counties as well; I believe both counties have several CDPs/cities that top the list of communities with the highest percentage of population born in Russia, though these places are far smaller than even Lynnwood. Washington/Oregon in general tends to be a destination for Russian immigrants.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:56 PM

4,283 posts, read 6,285,891 times
Im not in Lynnwood but Im just across from Vancouver, Wa in Portland. I think Washington has one of the largest populations of Russian immigrants in the country. The Portland Vancouver area has the highest population of Russian and Ukranian immigrants in the Northwest. Don't know what its all about or why this region of America has so many. I work with a number of them and it is an experience. There are many days I wonder why can't they show some interest in learning English. There is a Russian interperter that translates the information to them in Russian. I would be more than happy to let them practice English but I see very little to no interest.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 9,778 times
I live in Vancouver, Wa and live in an Apartment with many Russians. They are sooooo RUDE! I'm not singling out all, but MOST drive like crazies and are extremely rude. They do not want to speak English and constantly stare me down. It's absolutely disgusting. They should be happy to be here and treat people in America with respect. Since they claim they want the "American dream", why are they not happier, or at least nicer??? Does anyone know what's going on. I'm so frustrated, so I'm leaving this area... and that's pretty sad. I am an American, was born here and am now getting kicked out of my own country!

Old 02-17-2011, 03:50 PM

2,651 posts, read 7,103,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macharacattan View Post
I live in Vancouver, Wa and live in an Apartment with many Russians. They are sooooo RUDE! I'm not singling out all, but MOST drive like crazies and are extremely rude. They do not want to speak English and constantly stare me down. It's absolutely disgusting. They should be happy to be here and treat people in America with respect. Since they claim they want the "American dream", why are they not happier, or at least nicer??? Does anyone know what's going on. I'm so frustrated, so I'm leaving this area... and that's pretty sad. I am an American, was born here and am now getting kicked out of my own country!

They may be reluctant to speak English because they don't do it very well, and they know that in the reverse case, foreigners in Russia who speak Russian badly--will be ignored and mocked. Therefore they expect the case is the same here and may be reluctant to subject themselves to ridicule.

They are rude, especially to strangers. It is their culture. In Russia nice guys finish last. If you're 'nice' somebody is going to take advantage of you, so it is necessary to adopt a junk yard dog exterior persona to ward off anyone who has ideas that you might be an easy mark.

If you have never experienced the submersion of complete culture and language shock, you cannot understand how difficult it is to shed your native language, your native culture, and your native world view. You may go to another country which you like very much indeed, but you will always remain who you are and where you came from. The older the emigrator, the more difficult the transition.

On the bright side, if you do make friends with a Russian, unlike America where we have very temporary and transitory *friendships*, with a Russian you have a friend for life and you will be a friend of their other friends. These friendships are deeper and more intimate than what we do, and they are consequently harder to form.

So with your neighbors do one of two things:

Glare back at them to show that you are a tough cookie too or,

Say "Privyet"! and start up a conversation.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:40 PM

815 posts, read 1,553,802 times
Quote:
You're leaving the area because of Russians? Ok.....for one thing they aren't kicking you out. Maybe you're just ugly and that's why they stare. They may be more abrupt than we're used to, but it doesn't mean they're rude. I personally find them very real, they speak their mind, and they're kind people.

Maybe they don't want to speak English because they don't speak it well, and based on you glaring at them also they just don't want to talk to you in general. Are you treating them with respect? Have you even tried to start up a conversation with them? Why haven't you taken the initiative?

Please, do us a favor and move to another country if you're that offended by nothing.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:23 PM

14,068 posts, read 16,413,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
There are a lot in the Crossroads area of Bellevue too. I think it's because there's money here, and they're business the minded ones that are migrating. Or because Wa is more open to other cultures than many parts of the US.
The reason for the Crossroads Police substation is the Russians that started to arrive about mid 90s, they took a lot of the apartments on 156th, and caused a lot of problems. Why are they coming to WA? It's the closest US area to their country.Those that are into stealing cars for parts to ship back have access to the waterfront. Search and you will even find local forums and blogs in Russian.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:47 AM

1,754 posts, read 1,459,776 times
Quote:
As someone who has lived overseas for 9 years of my life, I can tell you with 100% certainty that Americans are the last people on earth that should complain about people not wanting to learn the language and assimilate. Russians do have a unique cultural attitude that separates them from most other Slavic cultures. It's noticeable when I'm conversing with a Russian male vs. a Polish male for instance. There is a slight arrogance I detect. You know, almost like when some Americans live in another country In all seriousness, is it at least a little possible that they sense some hostility towards them? It's really not hard to detect that in people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington