Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2010, 10:54 PM

112 posts, read 581,505 times

Advertisements

Hi, Everyone

My husband was offered a job in Shelton and we have a couple of weeks before we say ok or no way. I have lived in the North West before so I am no stranger to the weather. I know what to expect and I'm ok with that. I have children that range in age from four years to sixteen and Shelton seems kid friendly. I'm looking for a nice FREE preschool for my son. If it's connected with the public schools, that's ok. Also I am a church going girl and I am looking for a nice church that has other Christian children, like teens. We are looking at rentals and is there any places to avoid. What I mean by avoid is drugs, abandoned houses, crime. I've seen a nice park with playground and Walmart is a plus. Thanks for any help or advice. O...........what about homeschooling? I'm doing that now, but one child needs speech. Is it easy to homeschool in WA? Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 08:57 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
I've posted before on Shelton, and you can tap into those threads from earlier Shelton comments by typing "Shelton" in the search bar on the Washington page. In short, Shelton is a rural place with all that comes with the rural state of mind. That's not to say some won't like it but it certainly is no cultural mecca. Housing and utilities are probably more affordable than other areas but not all that alluring either, if it wasn't for the fact that your husband has a job lined up I'd say try going someplace else for the fact that the small town mindset can be very unfriendly. I looked all over the Shelton area a few years back when I was looking to retire there, It really is a place you need to drive around yourself to get an idea of the kind of neighborhoods you might like. Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder and therefore it's difficult to predict what may or may not be a good place to live but come first to check it out, you may want to commute from the surrounding area rather than live in the confines of town.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
here's some home school info. (we did it in SW WA)
Washington Homeschool Organization
Washington Homeschool: The Homeschooling Guide to Kitsap and North Mason
Clark County Home Educators

Shelton is not gonna get high marks for your desires.

I would consider commuting to Shelton to work, and living closer to Bremerton (especially for kid activities / social health / and potential of using 'Running Start' instead of High School.)
Running Start [Olympic College]
Can't say enough good about the benefits my kids enjoyed doing 'Running Start'. (not for everyone, AND most are apprehensive, but most are extremely successful and well prepared for college.)

I have friends who enjoyed a good church and homeschooled in Port Orchard.
Good churches are much tougher to find in WA, than good schools. Be prepared, a very different social environment than KS, (Which I miss the PEOPLE of the prairie BADLY). PNW was settled by independents and likes to think they can stay that way. The story about the PNW guy having to get a High Speed garage door when moving to Colorado so he wouldn't have to talk to his neighbors is a very good synopses.
10 of 12 neighbors had unlisted phone numbers when we moved here 30 yrs ago. For the FIRST time in 30 yrs, I did get invited into a neighbor's house eat last week (doing farm work for them). As you know... in KS/NE/IA/SD/ND/WY/CO/OK you are EXPECTED to eat generous farm fare when working at the neighbors. Another thing I miss is farm schedule church services and joining each other for soup / salad suppers AFTER the 8PM Sunday eve service. Sunday Evening Services and Hymnals are contraband in PNW. Sat even services common at 5pm, but they are identical to Sunday Service, not the laid back fun & engaging Sunday eve style. The earliest Sunday Service is often 9AM !!!! Thus you can do chores, read the paper, take a nap, and write a book BEFORE the early service starts.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-08-2010 at 01:03 PM..

Old 07-09-2010, 03:34 AM

112 posts, read 581,505 times
Thank you for the advice. I am praying about a new Church to attend if we decide to move. We are looking at a number of things. Christian fellowship is important and I am trying to bring up my children in Christ. It would be great if we could meet other families that share this love for God. If we decide to move, we will be living in or very close to Shelton, we can't afford to live in Olympia or to far out of town. Rabbit, thank you for the info for the homeschooling!

Old 08-21-2010, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,494 times
Hi,

I actually live in Shelton and have lived here for 11 years. I am 31 yo. I have 4 children that I homeschool. I grew up in Nevada and have lived in California, Hawaii, and Colorado. I would certainly consider myself a good source of info because I have lived in a number of places and so can compare Shelton to other areas in the country and also can speak to the 'rural' comment.
I was frustrated to hear it spoken of so negatively especially with Bremerton compared more positively, yeah...
And Running Start is available in Shelton through South Puget Sound Community College. Also, I live in a development with 65 houses and I easily know 40+ of the families that live here as more than an acquaintance friendship.... Anyhoooo I wil pm you ballerina.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:46 PM

7 posts, read 16,820 times
I moved to Washington about 5 years ago. I had job offers in Bremerton, Seattle, Lakewood, etc. I drove to Shelton and liked the idea of an old-fashioned drive-in and a typical small town type Main Street. As a military brat, I've lived many many places. Shelton certainly has its share of rural-related issues, like no opportunities for youth, poverty, etc. All of those things are found in any place. But if you look at the newspapers, you'll see crime in Kitsap, Thurston, Pierce. My experience when I moved was quite positive. Most people were very kind, very welcoming, and have continued to be. There are some very nice churches in Shelton. Some parents are concerned about the few choices in education, and you will find a large number of homeschooling families here. It's close enough to Olympia to access shopping, medical services, etc. It's certainly not that far to travel for a dose of higher culture. It's close to some very scenic places. It is nice when vendors and other business people know you. I get service and personal help from our small town pharmacy I certainly couldn't get from a large chain. So, it's a trade-off. Trust me, there are unusual people everywhere!
There are lovely parts of Shelton and some lovely people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington