Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 04:55 PM

8 posts, read 12,212 times

Advertisements

I have been contemplating a move out to Washington for awhile now and I have decided that now is the time for me. Things you should know about me: I LOVE the rain, cooler weather (although I am trying to get away from the snow - currently live in Michigan), green forests, and mountains. I would be moving out by myself so a safe place is a MUST. I would also like a smaller city and someplace that would be a quick drive to the pacific. I have done a lot of research on-line and these are the places I have looked at: Bremerton, Burlington, Aberdeen, Bellingham, Bellevue, Longview, Snohomish, and Vancover. What can you tell me about these places? Are there any that I should take off? Obviously, I will need a job out there. I currently manage an apartment complex. I would need to find a place with a job opportunity so someplace where there are several apartment communities would be helpful. Whatever information you can give me will be such much appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 02:29 AM

404 posts, read 1,026,878 times
All those places are full of apartment complexes, with the most probably being in Bellevue and Vancouver. I also think you'd have the most job opportunities here as well.

As for safety, I don't have cold facts, but Bellevue is probably your best bet. Most communities on the Eastside (that is, east of Seattle) have almost no problems with crime. However, these would be the farthest from the Pacific, but at the same time closest to some beautiful mountains only minutes away. There are tons of hiking opportunities.

If you have not done this yet, I recommend going on Google Maps and utilizing the Street View option. It should give you a pretty good idea of what each city is like.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:52 PM

850 posts, read 3,702,294 times
Cut out Aberdeen and Longview. Longview has a lot of crime and Aberdeen is known for being very depressing. Be sure to drive through the town before you move there.

Some of the other towns you listed are small, but they basically just suburbs for larger areas. May I make an addition?

Olympia sounds like a place you would love! It's a fairly small town, but it's also big enough so that you won't have to drive somewhere else. They have really improved the downtown with parks, shops, etc. They get quite a bit of rain, LOTS of greenery, and you have very easy access to the beach. You're also right at the highway that takes you to the Olympic Mountains. Of course, you'd also be close to Rainier and the Cascades.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,586 posts, read 57,536,124 times
Fisher's Landing Area of East Vancouver, and Camas Area.

1.2 hrs to Beautiful and accessible OR coast
20 min to Columbia River Gorge National Scenic area.
20-30 min to Portland, OR

I don't recommend the 4th Plain area of Vancouver. Apartments there are not my idea of safe, tho minimal risk compared to parts of MI. There are many good areas, Van Mall (Westfield's) is decent too.

Bellingham or Poulsbo would be on my list as well. (though they are on inland waters, not the pacific coast.)

I would avoid Longview and Aberdeen. The towns are not doing well economically, and the southern WA coast (and far northern OR is not very scenic.

Seaside. OR south to Newport is very nice coastline (all within 2 - 3 hrs of Vancouver). It is EZ to get off work early, and enjoy a nice afternoon and evening on the OR coast (doesn't get dark till 10 pm in summer)

Old 07-20-2010, 04:13 PM

927 posts, read 1,938,950 times
I was going to mention Olympia, too but got here too late. If you have the time and means to do so a quick visit to all these places would be a good idea. This will give you a "feel" for each place that's very difficult to get from on-line sources.
Two communities not yet mentioned are Port Angeles and Port Townsend. Both are right on the water, are surrounded by spectacular scenery and have the Olympic Mountains just minutes away.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:11 PM

Thank you for the info. I have been to Longview and Aberdeen but only quickly drove through them so I dont have too great of an idea about them. I will definitely check out Olympia. Thank you for the recommendation.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:18 PM

Thanks, I have been to Port Townsend and Port Angeles and liked them both, specifically Port Townsend but couldnt find any apartment complexes in the area. True?

Old 07-21-2010, 06:33 PM

What about Redmond? Anyone know anything about this town? Safety, weather, etc?

Old 07-21-2010, 06:55 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,809,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica_grandrapids View Post
What about Redmond? Anyone know anything about this town? Safety, weather, etc?
Excellent school district. Great dog park. Weather pretty much mirrors Seattle. Very safe. Bad traffic. Microsoft is located in that area. Great mall. Very pricey suburb. Good blend of rural and suburban, with easy access to Seattle, but bad traffic.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the info. I just read something else about bad traffic. Something about only one main road going out. Is it bad throughout the entire area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington