Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 10:47 AM

20 posts, read 57,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
You might want to read your own posts. You're bringing your liberal, non-religious politics with you.

People dislike Californians because people are prejudiced, view Californians through stereotypes and, quite simply, are bigoted.

You're going to bring your prejudice and bigotry with you to WA just as you brought it with you to CA, only this time you won't have a stereotype to apply. The result will be the same, though.
There is a lot more to being a liberal person, than just politics. Sorry.

I don't vote anti-religious. Most of the time in California, I don't need to. So that again, has nothing to do with politics. I was speaking about myself as a person, not my political, religious and social interests. No need to be snarky.

Anyway, in case anyone else had trouble understanding what I said, I meant that I wouldn't be voting until I got to know the needs of the people in WA state better. Savvy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 12:00 PM

44 posts, read 111,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostara_Ishtari View Post

Anyway, in case anyone else had trouble understanding what I said, I meant that I wouldn't be voting until I got to know the needs of the people in WA state better. Savvy?
Seems clear to me. I don't understand the other poster's criticism.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:18 PM

20 posts, read 57,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgoat38 View Post
Seems clear to me. I don't understand the other poster's criticism.
I'm glad.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:24 AM

13 posts, read 41,074 times
I'm not sure why Vancouver was never really brought up. Vancouver is close to everything. An hour and half from the ocean. Right by the mountains and forest. You have Portland across the river so you get all the luxuries of city life without living in a big city (and shopping in Oregon is lovely without the sales tax). Seattle is about a two and half, three hour drive up north. While some would debate that Vancouver's traffic is bad, it is nothing like Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia, and just about every city in CA. Vancouver is also spread out- so in one city there are 'out in the country' options, or you can live in the suburbs, or in downtown (which is very cute). The view of Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Hood are gorgeous, and can be seen from just about all over the city.
It's worth looking into. I grew up here, and yet, just about everyone I met moved here for the same reason, "It's close to everything."
It does rain, a lot. But the four seasons are very prominent and distinct.
Apartments can be found for good prices. My husband and I currently rent a detached home on someone's property out in the countryside for $585- and when we were looking we found tons of options similar in size (900 square ft.).
And if you're liberal minded, you'll find your groove here. Portland, right next door, is apparently a liberal-mecca.

Hope that helps.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:23 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Vancouver isn't as liberal as Portland or even Seattle. There was a website somewhere out there, where it talks about the political corruption of Vancouver... worse than the entire state apparently.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:18 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,831,271 times
Regardless of where you live, your politics, religion, or where you came from won't make any difference to anyone unless you bring it up and make an issue out of it.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:34 PM

13 posts, read 41,074 times
I don't really care what stats say about Vancouver. I've lived all over Washington, and Vancouver is one of the more liberal areas. Who cares if it is "less" liberal than Seattle. I'm not sure why people try to make a competition out of it. And in reality, diversity helps progression; why can't a place balance with both ideologies? Extremes cannot be healthy.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:15 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
I really don't care if Washingtonians hate Californians. I'm coming up anyway.
They don't, at least not here in Port Townsend, where I moved in early July. When people ask me where I moved from, I tell them and they very sincerely welcome me to town. I haven't had one negative reaction yet. If they're keeping that to themselves, they're doing a great acting job, and besides, as long as I don't have to listen to it, I don't care.

I think the thing to remember when relocating ANYWHERE is that you have to accept it as it is, and not tell the locals how things are done or how much better they are where you came from. I grew up in Maryland and worked at the Smithsonian for many years, and many of my fellow scientists had come out of the UC system and were constantly complaining about how awful the DC area was. I actually agree with them (which is why I left when I was 30), but you just don't score points that way, and you make it tempting for people to tell you to go back where you came from if you don't like it.

Do your research so that you know what you're getting into, get involved in the community right away (I do volunteer work, and when people need helpful volunteers, they don't care if you're from Mars), and you should do well.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,070 times
I am compelled to help you with some extensive information that should provide much help! Ill get started this evening if I can determine this is still your goal!
If I can have an idea of your budget I can recomend lots of options that include water and beaches we have Islands in the puget sound and some Large awesome lakes!
Of course Lakes and water front, is High rent, but then agan, so is much of Cali!
Ill be back!
Steve

Old 05-23-2014, 06:16 PM

726 posts, read 1,367,551 times
In reading your post, one area that comes to mind is somewhere along the Hood Canal, probably southern end of the hood canal on the Olympic Peninsula side. You've got lots of water, beautiful mountains, semi-rural with lots of elbow room, and you'd be close enough to commute to Olympia for a job and shopping when needed. I've never lived there but I've traveled through checking things out and it's very pretty. It's also a hop, skip, and a jump into the Olympic National Forest, the strait, and you could get to the Pacific Ocean beaches and back in a single day with time to frolic, albeit a long one Check it out and let us know what you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington