Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2010, 08:39 PM

232 posts, read 805,222 times

Advertisements

Are there any newer apartment complexes with good reputation in Yakima?

Also, I've heard that West Valley, or Terrace Heights are considered the safer areas to live?
How far west does "West Valley" start? 40th street? 80th street?
As for Terrace Heights, how far east do I need to be to be safe? Is anything east of Rout 82 safe?

I'm just looking for a 1 BR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 12:21 AM

3 posts, read 10,478 times
Honestly, as someone who grew up in Yakima, I have to say that you'd be "safe" almost anywhere in town. It's your belongings that probably won't be safe (i.e., car, apartment, TV, etc).

As for areas to live, I'd avoid anything east of, say, 16th ave...although, 16th ave itself is pretty sketch, so even east of 25th-30th ave might be better to avoid. In my opinion, West Valley starts anywhere between 56th ave through 72nd ave--but, hands down, if you're above 72nd ave, you're definitely in West Valley.

For Terrace Heights, once you pass highway 82, you're pretty much in Terrace Heights. In terms of rental prices, TH will be cheaper than WV, but you're also gonna be a bit further from retail shopping out there, so that's something to consider.

Like I said, though, you're not gonna get mugged or stabbed if you live "below" 16th ave, but you WILL be a lot closer to gangs and drug violence, but as someone who used to live right off of one of the more seedy streets in town (N. 1st Street), I never felt overwhelmingly unsafe.

And just so you know, a decent 1br in a "good" neighborhood will probably run you about $650 a month, while an apartment in a worse part of town could start as low as $450-$500. I wish you all the best in your search--and welcome to town, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington