Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 08:12 PM

148 posts, read 765,704 times

Advertisements

Hey Trevor, me again.

The high-crime areas of Seattle are generally considered to be White Center, the Delridge part of West Seattle, as well as parts of the Central Distrct and Rainier Valley. These parts CD and Rainier Valley, however, have been steadily undergoing a lot of change for the better lately.

I am not quite sure that you will find what you are looking for in Kent.

I am not very familiar with Tacoma. I know there are high-crime areas that exist there though. I am sure someone will jump in and point them out.

Big money in Seattle is usually Belltown, Queen Anne, Mercer Island, Bainbridge Island, and the “Eastside” suburbs. Again, others will jump in with more info.

There aren’t really any “crazy college party towns” in the area. Pioneer Square is known for bars and clubs, but I wouldn’t define it as what you are referring to.

It’s a beautiful time to visit. You’ll have a blast. Again, good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 10:49 PM

40 posts, read 222,893 times
Trevor, what kind of professional are you?

I'd avoid Tacoma entirely.

The only wild crazy party area of Seattle that I am aware of would be the fraternity area immediately on the north side of the University of Washington campus. Should you want to avoid college parties, avoid apartments pretty much anywhere between 42nd NE and 50 NE and between 11th Ave. NE and 20th Ave NE - I've given a broader brush picture there than all of the frat row area but since that would be the closest thing to a party area, I thought I'd include it.

The area of Cap Hill with stately homes near Volunteer Park would be one area of wealth or possibly homes on the Queen Anne south slope, all with panoramic views of Seattle (Kerry Park area).

If I were in your shoes, from what you describe, I'd try to find a little apartment in Belltown (in a highrise for security), or First Hill, or the Broadway area of Cap Hill.

Ballard has a great deal of charm and has it's own tiny downtown core with some pubs that feature live music, some pretty good restuarants, and cute shops. You might feel a little bit far away from everything since Ballard essentially hits the western edge of the city, but you could do very well in your budget in downtown Ballard and it would offer you a lot. Be sure to take in a move at the Magestic Bay Theater ("a trip to the movies with Russ and Ellen") and you should have at least one meal at Lombardi's - both Magestic Bay Theater and Lombardi's are in Ballard.

Oddly, Ballard/Crown Hill has my all time fave Thai Restuarant - Thai Siam on 15th NW - fabulous food!

Old 07-03-2007, 09:07 AM

362 posts, read 589,545 times
maybe you would like bellingham- they have this shop where you make your own wine

tacoma sucks maybe high crime i think
when i think of tacoma i think of crime, a police chief who killed his wife and an effort to refurbish old train stations-to some its home i guess but not me

vancouver is weird but close to portland so its nice in that way-it may be ok

professional?? like what?

Old 07-03-2007, 09:31 AM

362 posts, read 589,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallo View Post
You can find all of that in Seattle. Career-wise it also seems better than the other places you mention.

Good luck.
he sounds like a friendly guy and Seattle i dont think is friendly-is seattle friendly?it seems so phony to me and i lived there for years -what it was ,is gone and sooo pricey all i thought about was getting out of there

Bellingham Whatcom Chamber of Commerce and Industry

maybe spokane is ok or maybe wenactcee or issaquah or olmypia

Old 09-16-2008, 01:13 PM

49 posts, read 138,707 times
I'm no expert but my newly-graduated engineer son just moved to Seattle. Now mind you, he is in the tech field so it is easier for him. However, he was told the same as some other posters here. Stay away from Tacoma. Capitol Hill/Queen Anne Hill was recommended to our son for young professionals. Our son found a terrific place in Eastlake - an up and coming neighborhood that is very quiet right on the border of Queen Anne area. Eastlake is a lovely area on Lake Union where they are turning a lot of the old warehouse district into rather charming, progressive-style apartment/condo buildings. He has great management and really likes the neighborhood. If you really want more of a party atmosphere/neighborhood, Capitol Hill is a good place for you. Like my son, with no wife or children to support, why not try Seattle if you want to? Yes, its expensive but anywhere nice on the West coast is - so good luck to you!!!

Old 09-16-2008, 08:47 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,843,403 times
I wouldn't mind living in the nicer parts of Tacoma, particularly on the waterfront (is it called Commencement Bay?), if I worked down South. But it's too far away otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington