Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 10:58 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,138,765 times

Advertisements

Check out Olympia, if your in the area. Good schools, homes in your price range, definitely eclectic, located on the southern tip of Puget Sound and a nice mix of people. I'm not sure about distinct seasons, but we do get occasional snow in the winter, long sunny summers, and mild rainy spring and fall.
Sandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 11:12 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,047,047 times
"Long sunny summers?" and "mild rainy spring and fall?"

Just my opinion but that's not how I'd describe western Washington's weather, Sandy.

And Olympia is known for the having the MOST days of rain in the entire U.S.

--'rocco

Old 08-06-2007, 10:05 AM

559 posts, read 2,115,851 times
Smile Wrong state...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreuden View Post
I am a teacher, my husband is a physical therapist and we have young children. We're researching possibly relocating to Washington.

We're looking for a clean, laid back, ecclectic town where we can spend time outdoors hiking, camping and mountain biking. Ideally, we'd like to live somewhere near water (preferrably not a water treatment center). We'd like a town with a progressive vibe and a cool downtown area with a nice mix in age groups (i.e. not only retirees or college students). With our kids in mind, good schools are definitely a priority. We'd also love to have distinct seasons and avoid excessive amounts of dreary/rainy days. One last thing, for now anyway, we'd like to be able to buy a 3 bedroom house for $300k or under.

Whew, is my laundry list seeming unrealistic?

Does anyone have an idea as I've only taken a road trip through WA? I loved it then, and I think there's somewhere fitting that my family would love now.

Thanks for your help.
Honey, you have just described Asheville, NC, NOT anywhere in Washington State. Type in "Asheville, NC" in your Google searchbar, and check it out. I promise, you would LOVE it!

Old 08-06-2007, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,951 times
North of Spokane, Lake Rosevelt-- distinct seasons, Kettle Falls, Near the lake, Colville, county seat, good schools. Northport, small town on the river, but small town, all have nice housing in your range, Good Luck.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:39 PM

11 posts, read 58,975 times
Default Camas is it!!

Howdy!

Here's your choices in WA State (which I love)...wet in the West (but, if you don't mind wet, Olympia is great...the "banana belt" is dry but grey most of the time) and dry east of the Cascades (Spokane has amenities, but it's not "attractive"). And finally, folks, Camas is the "in-between" situation...more sun than most of the West, and all the amenities anyone could need within a short driving distance (Portland, OR). I moved here from Half Moon Bay, CA (which I also love), but this place (Camas) is much better!!

Old 08-10-2007, 11:13 AM

375 posts, read 1,725,455 times
What areas do you consider the "banana belt"?

Old 08-10-2007, 03:01 PM

I don't know if jamesdmaniac was referring to Olympia being in the banana belt for Olympia is definitely not defined as being in any kind of a banana belt. The "official" western Washington "banana belt" will include the region described in this thread:

Banana Belt Region

I've included a map in that thread.

--'rocco

Old 08-10-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADRMNDANES View Post
What areas do you consider the "banana belt"?
You did say in another thread, CADRMNDANES, that you were also considering Anacortes. Anacortes IS in the banana belt.

--'rocco

Old 08-10-2007, 05:45 PM

375 posts, read 1,725,455 times
Thanks! We are possibly driving up next week to see these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington