Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 07:49 PM

404 posts, read 1,028,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
I would move back to Washington in a heartbeat however, if I could land a decent paying job there.

I would, too, if I get accepted to UW and can pay my way through college without taking out too many loans. Seattle and the Eastside are, without a doubt, some of the best areas to live in. The problem is that everything is very expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 09:42 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,639,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Fact: Texas has no state income tax

Fact: Austin is a lot like Seattle in many ways (strong tech sector, centrist-progressive attitudes, top-notch university system in the city, music, activities, etc.)

Fact: The proposed income tax is an open act of class-warfare on the successful

Fact: If it passes, successful people will leave Washington

Fact: You can't poke a successful person in the eye with a stick and yell "Hi-Yah! Take THAT, evil-doer! Transfer your wealth to me!" and just blindly expect the entity being poked to take it. You can't suddenly go "hey, wait! Where are you going? You're supposed to stay and transfer your wealth to me!"

Fact: Other states look at Seattle and think "man, they've got a lot of top-notch businesses and amazingly skilled talent up there". You can't suddenly express "outrage" at other states who see a potential opportunity to poach away some top-level, FDA Prime, grad-a level talent to their states. Businesses look at this state and go "hey, this is a great place to set up shop, it's not hostile to growth or business. There's a lot of great talent up here, and the area is so appealing that it will be easy to attract even more talent". If the income tax passes, that all changes. Perry's a slimeball all-in-all, but in this instance, he's simply being very shrewd. If that income tax passes, Texas will suddenly become a very attractive state to highly skilled talent, because Texas doesn't declare open war on people who are successful like some in Washington do. It's just good business to seize upon an opportunity. And if the income tax passes, Perry won't be the only one actively attempting to lure away great companies that set up shop here because of a positive environment years ago, only to now find that it's becoming hostile.

Fact: The fact that you called the state that has a very progressive Seattle-Lite type of city in Austin, the 4th largest city in the country in Houston, and a city with a strong economy like Dallas a "state full of cavemen" makes me wonder how it is such an extreeeeeeeme left winger ever found his way down there in the 1st place. Portland is the place for you.
You left out this...

Fact: Other than Austin, Texas is a God forsaken waste land teeming with red necks and rw zealots. Houston and Dallas are miserable places to live and the weather is beyond insane.

Other than that, Texas is wonderful.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:43 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,577,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
You left out this...

Fact: Other than Austin, Texas is a God forsaken waste land teeming with red necks and rw zealots. Houston and Dallas are miserable places to live and the weather is beyond insane.

Other than that, Texas is wonderful.
It is a little blue dot in an ocean of red, there is no doubt about that.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:08 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,356,363 times
Good job Texas, you're right to do this
WA is a great state but this Union Tax will have consequences.
Texas is a great state, the Texas Medical Center is the largest medical center in the world, and it is called "Silicon Valley of Biomedical Research".If you don't know Texas is a high-level place you're the "cavemen"

Old 10-31-2010, 07:45 AM

615 posts, read 1,073,403 times
Trust me, the average person here is a moron. And their "high tech" areas, while they do exist, are not anything special and they get a large percentage of their educated workers from other states.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:10 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,577,423 times
Quote:
Trust me, the average person here is a moron. And their "high tech" areas, while they do exist, are not anything special and they get a large percentage of their educated workers from other states.
You've obviously not spent much time there. Austin has an incredibly developed technology sector. I mean, you're basically trying to claim a state that is home to Dell, HP, Solarwinds, etc. doesn't have much tech. As someone else said, biotech is huge down there. Geological engineering specializations are abundant in Houston (amongst many other things - it is the 4th largest city in the country, after all), and Dallas has a varied set of sectors as well.

Educated workers? UT is one of the top schools in the entire country. Baylor is amazing in a lot of fields, including one of the best med programs anywhere. Rice has one of the best nanotechnology departments of any school in the nation. University of Houston has stellar programs in business, medicine, and engineering. SMU is loaded when it comes to business and poli sci. A&M has one of the best botanical and horticultural departments anywhere. Your argument that it's an uneducated area is laughable at best. And the thing about Texans is, they tend to *really* like Texas, so they don't tend to leave. Personally I don't see the appeal, but that's because my favorite color isn't dirt. But hey, if that's their thing, more power to em.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:56 PM

28,110 posts, read 63,531,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
You've obviously not spent much time there. Austin has an incredibly developed technology sector. I mean, you're basically trying to claim a state that is home to Dell, HP, Solarwinds, etc. .
Not meant to be too picky...

I pass by HP world headquarters several times each week and it is not in Texas... it is Palo Alto California.

Somewhere, I have a picture of myself sitting at Dave Packard's desk...

No doubt, HP has a huge TX presence with the purchase of Compaq...

Old 11-01-2010, 07:55 AM

615 posts, read 1,073,403 times
Quote:
Austin has an incredibly developed technology sector
Yes Austin does, Austin is considered by a large percentage of Americans to be the only habitable part of Texas.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:58 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,544,456 times
Quote:
Yes Austin does, Austin is considered by a large percentage of Americans to be the only habitable part of Texas.
Austin is also my favorite city in TX. However, I think what you meant to write is that "Austin is considered by a large percentage of liberal Americans to be the only habitable part of Texas".

Last edited by CarawayDJ; 11-01-2010 at 11:22 AM..

Old 11-01-2010, 11:03 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,544,456 times
Quote:
Trust me, the average person here is a moron...
No, they are not. I have a hard time believing your opinions are not politically motivated. In other words..."They cannot see the wisdom in my liberal beliefs. Therefore, they are morons".

Yeah, when I think back to my time in TX and the many people I still know there, there is little chance you are forming your opinions on anything other than politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington