Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 02:29 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,703,263 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if anyone here has come to Washington or even been there from Virginia. I am trying to convince my family to move there. They always complain about how rude people are here. The weather is ALWAYS crazy, going from 50s to 90s in a week a few weeks ago. Plus they have allergies and all that great stuff. I have told them it is a good Idea to move here because the rain would wash all the mold away but as you can imagine Washington is a hard sell when your all the way in Virginia. I am not sure how the money and taxes compare but my mom is going to be a nurse aid in less than a year. I am about to go to college. I have two younger sisters. What part of washington is a good local? I do not mind the rain at all. Is the city more fast paced than richmond?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 03:14 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
Doesn't rain here much. It's mostly just cloudy 10 months of the year. SO if they don't mind it being 40 degrees (and under) most of the year and drizzle/mist then it should be fine

No State taxes here so you get more paycheck - which rocks

Housing is super expensive

And there are alot of allergies here - especially mold (since the air is so moist)

(PS - I never moved from Virgina - but my dad's whole family lives there - I've visited quite often)

Old 07-06-2007, 03:44 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,704,775 times
I agree with citygirl- allergies are big here- especially mold and tree pollen. The evergreens shed pollen in late winter/early spring. Check out your house or apartment carefully for mold if you move here.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:34 PM

633 posts, read 2,540,836 times
how do you check for mold? Is there a special test?

Old 07-06-2007, 04:52 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
YOu can buy a mold test up at Home Depot

Old 07-06-2007, 05:53 PM

ahh thats not good. They were impressed with the min wage being $7.93 over our $5.15.. Also are there earthquakes? I realize its on the west coast and with st helens listed as active. i understand homes here are considered Very cheap but i guess its not the case there lol

Old 07-06-2007, 09:45 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times
Yes, there are earthquakes. The Seattle area is just waiting for "The Big One" to happen any time, or as much as 100 years from now...

I moved to WA from Virginia, born and raised in Northern VA, and my last two years in VA was spent in VA Beach... I never had bad allergies till I moved to WA!!

It could be from WA, it could just be that allergies develop overtime... I don't know... but WA isn't the place to get away from allergies. Is any place, though?

Old 07-07-2007, 12:04 PM

559 posts, read 2,115,525 times
I was born in Washington but grew up in the South. I married a retired Seattle firefighter several years ago. He's wonderful but living up here isn't, at least for a Southern girl like me. There are good points and bad with both places; for me, however, the biggest downside of living up here is that it is expensive, expensive, expensive. When you go to the grocery store, you'll know exactly what I mean. And the housing? Don't get me started. We live in a lovely 3 BR, 2 BA ranch style house on 4.4 acres in the country in Kitsap County; the value is between $360,000 and $370,000, and we bought the home for $175,000 in 2001. You can barely buy a mobile home here for a quarter of a million dollars.

It is beautiful here, completely beautiful. That being said, however, let me add that it is cloudy and overcast from November through June. July through October, however, it is the most beautiful place on earth, and that is the gospel truth.

I would move home to South Carolina tomorrow if my husband would move, but that's not happening--yet--so I continue to put my trust in the Good Master and wait.

Think long and hard before you undertake such a move. The people are lovely, but life is very, very different up here--I think because of the weather. Hope this has helped.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:48 PM

38 posts, read 130,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightcopperkettles View Post
I was born in Washington but grew up in the South. I married a retired Seattle firefighter several years ago. He's wonderful but living up here isn't, at least for a Southern girl like me. There are good points and bad with both places; for me, however, the biggest downside of living up here is that it is expensive, expensive, expensive. When you go to the grocery store, you'll know exactly what I mean. And the housing? Don't get me started. We live in a lovely 3 BR, 2 BA ranch style house on 4.4 acres in the country in Kitsap County; the value is between $360,000 and $370,000, and we bought the home for $175,000 in 2001. You can barely buy a mobile home here for a quarter of a million dollars.

It is beautiful here, completely beautiful. That being said, however, let me add that it is cloudy and overcast from November through June. July through October, however, it is the most beautiful place on earth, and that is the gospel truth.

I would move home to South Carolina tomorrow if my husband would move, but that's not happening--yet--so I continue to put my trust in the Good Master and wait.

Think long and hard before you undertake such a move. The people are lovely, but life is very, very different up here--I think because of the weather. Hope this has helped.
Thank you. A thoughtful and insightful post.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:15 PM

oh well i guess i was wrong, perhaps i should schedule a tour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington