Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2010, 04:16 AM

2 posts, read 3,354 times

Advertisements

Hi. For years I've had a pretty bad case of driving phobia/anxiety, and would like to avoid it altogether, but living in Miami, Fl, it's really difficult to achieve this. I've always been drawn to the northwest, and was wondering if it is possible to survive somewhere in Washington (perhaps Seattle) without having to drive. I've heard some good things about your public transportation, but I'm not sure if it's more of a convenience than a plausible way of life. Any insight will be beneficial. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 11:28 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Maybe in Seattle or in Portland but most other places it will be more difficult (but not impossible) to get around.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:04 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,547 times
No we shoot people who don't drive.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,354 times
Thanks for posting. Now I have to decide what's worse, driving or getting shot. I could purchase body armor.........

Old 11-06-2010, 06:20 PM

576 posts, read 2,260,925 times
You could probably get by without a car in any of the major metro areas- Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia. Perhaps even on the eastside to a degree. The tough part would be carry things with you from point A to point B: such as handling bags of groceries while on the metro bus. It's not impossible, just not convenient-

Why not compromise? Call around to the various Seattle driving schools and tell them of your phobia. When you find one that sounds sympathetic to your plight, sign up and overcome the anxiety as much as you can. Then have a small car that you drive from time to time as needed but ride the metro the rest of the time!

Old 11-06-2010, 06:56 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,049,517 times
I would think it would depend on where you have to go, i.e., where you'll live, work, or shop.

Many smaller towns in Washington have excellent transit systems but again, it will all depend on the above.

In the metropolitan Seattle area, I know many who don't drive and take public transportation exclusively ...even on the Eastside.

If you could narrow it down a bit more on what you're looking for, perhaps we can give more specific places, etc.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:07 PM

68 posts, read 317,797 times
It would depend on the town, as others have said.

Seattle and Portland would work.

From personal experience, Bellingham has an excellent transit system (The WTA, or Whatcom Transit Authority). I had a vehicle but still used WTA to get to class and back, just because it was easier and cheaper.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:22 PM

232 posts, read 805,222 times
The folks in Seattle drive slower than snails. You'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelJoe101 View Post
Hi. For years I've had a pretty bad case of driving phobia/anxiety, and would like to avoid it altogether, but living in Miami, Fl, it's really difficult to achieve this. I've always been drawn to the northwest, and was wondering if it is possible to survive somewhere in Washington (perhaps Seattle) without having to drive. I've heard some good things about your public transportation, but I'm not sure if it's more of a convenience than a plausible way of life. Any insight will be beneficial. Thanks.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:12 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
You definitely can in Seattle--one of my sisters lived there for 10 years and didn't even own a car. She lived in a downtown apartment, worked in a downtown highrise and either walked, rode a bike or called a cab when needed. She'd rent a car to visit us in the dry side of the state.

Seattle's traffic is the worst that the state has to offer...and it doesn't hold a candle to Miami's...

Old 11-08-2010, 01:04 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Agreed, you can get by without a car in Seattle, but I know at least a few people who get by without a car in Tri-Cities and/or Prosser. Prosser itself is quite walkable, there is a decent grocery store, several restaurants, a decent gym, at least a few places one could work - plus bus service to/from the Tri-Cities. It could be done but one would have rather limited horizons without a car. In Seattle it's in some ways easier *not* to have a car. Pasco, Yakima, and Ellensburg have Greyhound stops if that matters to you. As does, of course, Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington