Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 15,166 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are visiting family in Spokane for Christmas and are thinking of hiring a car to drive from Spokane back to Seattle on or about 30th of December... and then maybe onto LA for our flights home to Australia.

We have been told the highways's can be treacherous at this time of year, and not knowing the road, we are asking your advice. How bad is the road to Seattle in late December? Is it a silly thing to do? Should we just buy a airplane ticket and miss the winter scenery?

Because we don't know the area at all we would love some local advice and we would much rather drive!

Thanks

Steve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 05:45 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
The passes that separate the 2 areas can get very dangerous in the winter. Both from a weather standpoint as well as the fact that you're going to be sharing the road with people who are unpredictable in how they will handle the situation.

I will say this: Alaska has a flight that takes precisely 50 minutes to get from Spokane to Seattle, and back in the day it used to cost 99 bucks (not sure what it costs now). Might be worth looking into if you have no experience driving on snow/ice. As to the drive from Seattle to LA....I dunno, I always found I-5 to be a pretty boring stretch of road (particularly the section between Portland and Eugene, as well as most of the drive through the California Gold Coast). If you've got the spare time, the coastal 101 is a much better option. If you take I-5, be aware that Mt. Shasta in California can be a pretty treacherous area at times during the winter, as well.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:19 PM

103 posts, read 783,317 times
Here is an option to enjoy the scenery to seattle or all the way to california if you like.

Amtrak

Old 11-10-2010, 12:59 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,171 times
Your thinking of hiring someone to drive you is that what your asking? I wasn't even aware that was an option other than limos. First question would be what is your normal driving capabilties. Each person is differnt. I could answer no problem go for it but I also drive up to Alaska and back. If you drove from Spokane that time of year it could be very icy along a flat road among wheat fields that problable will be plowed for most of the miles. Once you get to the passes it could be nothing or icy snowy chains needed. Slow going. Seattle to California - only area you will have (more than likely although the last couple of Decembers have been cold) is the area past Mt Shatsa which can be very snowy and icy - or just wet it just depends.

Again a flight to Seattle would more than likely suite you fine - unless you want to explore if it is only i-5 pass for the flight. Now down to California is a great drive espeacially if you do 101 but can be icy- snowy around Shata again.. What do you want to do and how much time do you have. I can't imagine hiring someone to do this. But if that is your thing.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:50 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,821,978 times
The passes can and do get bad at times, but not impassable. Sometimes tire chains are required, and there are pullout areas to put them on and take them off on each side. But the trip, at any time of the year winter included, is a nice one. You will pass by many different landscapes. Through desert area, over a major river, through forest, next to lakes, over mountains, all between Spokane and Seattle.

During winter though, it will be cold, especially in the eastern half of the state (most of the entire drive) and over the mountain pass. Icy and snowy conditions may very well be present most of or the entire way. Take caution, don't speed, don't follow too close behind others, etc. etc. etc. If you don't feel comfortable with a winter wonderland drive then skip it (and come back at sometime in the summer for it! You won't regret it!). If you think you can handle it, definitely go for it!

Old 11-10-2010, 02:40 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
"Hiring a car" is Britspeak for "Renting a car". OP, really, it's a crapshoot - if you get decent and not too snowy weather it's a fairly long drive but not too much to do in one day, but if it snows heavy you could even face pass closureThis is a La Nina year so it should be snowier than usual - that does not mean you will get snow when you want to travel though.How many people? The more people, the more sense driving makes financially. You should check into the rates to rent one-way, leaving the car in Seattle, the companies may charge extra or give a discount depending on where they need cars.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:22 PM

68 posts, read 317,701 times
Depends what kind of vehicle you want to rent as well. A truck or SUV with four wheel drive would make things easier, in my opinion, though it probably would cost more.

If cost isn't an issue, I'd definitely recommend Amtrak. It's a very pretty journey - you get the scenery without the headache.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:37 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
The passes can and do get bad at times, but not impassable.
Except for when it is.

They do close the passes on occasion, usually for relatively short times, but there have been some extended closures--sometimes for snowfall, but also, depending upon the year, avalanche danger. Of course, this assumes you're talking about Snoqualmie on I-90 and not some of the others that they close for months because there are, um, impassable. Over the years, I've been hung on one side or the other because Snoqualmie is closed.

Martin Family, I don't know that it's "silly" as you say, and odds are, you'd be fine. Thousands and thousands do it every winter. But there is the chance that you might have a problem, especially if you wait until the last moment to travel, and then you wouldn't really have the luxury of waiting out any problems.

If you decide to drive it, check out the following website...it has pass reports, travel restrictions and requirements, and near-live camera shots of the passes and highways.

Welcome to the Washington State Department of Transportation

Old 11-10-2010, 06:26 PM

426 posts, read 957,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf14016 View Post
If cost isn't an issue, I'd definitely recommend Amtrak. It's a very pretty journey - you get the scenery without the headache.
Amtrak leaves Spokane at 2:00 AM, so the scenery's not too visible for a good chunk of the trip.

A LOT longer time-wise as well.

Driving I-90 in the winter isn't really that big of a deal, I've done it many times, and can count on one hand the number of times I've had an issue. Late December, the snow pack shouldn't be built up to the point that they are doing avalanche control, unless an abnormally large snowfall occurs just prior to you going over.

Check the pass reports, watch the weather for a few days prior, and make the decision then. It's not that big of a deal, really.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:13 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,821,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Except for when it is.

They do close the passes on occasion, usually for relatively short times, but there have been some extended closures--sometimes for snowfall, but also, depending upon the year, avalanche danger. Of course, this assumes you're talking about Snoqualmie on I-90 and not some of the others that they close for months because there are, um, impassable. Over the years, I've been hung on one side or the other because Snoqualmie is closed.

Martin Family, I don't know that it's "silly" as you say, and odds are, you'd be fine. Thousands and thousands do it every winter. But there is the chance that you might have a problem, especially if you wait until the last moment to travel, and then you wouldn't really have the luxury of waiting out any problems.

If you decide to drive it, check out the following website...it has pass reports, travel restrictions and requirements, and near-live camera shots of the passes and highways.

Welcome to the Washington State Department of Transportation
Yes, I am speaking of I-90. As you said, closures, when they do happen, are short lived for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington