U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-21-2010, 10:15 AM

43 posts, read 44,979 times
Default Contamination in the NW

I hope someone will actually address this topic and not ignore the post. I am planning to relocate to the NW but am having a difficult time picking a spot. The Hanford site in WA is a big concern and I know they are cleaning up, but the radioactive contamination will last for a very long time. I am also aware of the mining industries destruction and the cleanup that is also trying to take place. It is a shame that those industries had no reguard for one of the most beautiful places in the US or the people that live there. I am leaning toward CDA or spokane area and was hoping that someone could suggest any other places that would be considered the least polluted in the NW. I know CDA is considered the 4th cleanest city(air pollution) by the Lung Association. Thanks so much for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-21-2010, 01:03 PM

3,042 posts, read 3,917,064 times
that suprises me about CDA. It always smells like smoke from wood burning fireplaces to me ....though I kind of like that smell it seemed to me to be a bit too much.

Unread 11-21-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
that suprises me about CDA. It always smells like smoke from wood burning fireplaces to me ....though I kind of like that smell it seemed to me to be a bit too much.

Thanks for the info. My daughter got to visit this fall and it was still fairly warm, so there was no wood smoke smell. She could not believe how beautiful it is! We are born and raised in TN and have always dreamed about the west, so hopefully here we come, soon!

Unread 11-21-2010, 02:45 PM

6 posts, read 7,029 times
CDA is a great place, so is Spokane, but Spokane does not have very good air quality.

Unread 11-21-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbound27 View Post
Thanks for the info. My daughter got to visit this fall and it was still fairly warm, so there was no wood smoke smell. She could not believe how beautiful it is! We are born and raised in TN and have always dreamed about the west, so hopefully here we come, soon!
there are so many trees, perhaps this offsets the word burning pollution

Unread 11-21-2010, 03:55 PM

What about Meade WA or SW MT? I know there is a bio-weapons lab (Hamilton) south of Missoula, but what is the area around there like? Dillion, MT looks very nice, but isolated.

Unread 11-21-2010, 04:12 PM

I can't speak to the pollution. But I can say the air quality here in Spokane is far better than it was in Texas

Unread 11-21-2010, 04:29 PM

When she got off the plane in Nashville, she said the smell was terrible compared to anywhere she went when she was visiting the Spokane area. TN gets an F in air quality by the American Lung Assoc. standards. We can't wait to get out of here, but of course I have to get a job. I am a teacher and WA seems to have the best pay, benefits, retirement, etc. for teachers. I have always loved MT, but the teacher pay is terrible, so I guess I'll have to wait and see. Hopefully the economy will pick up and there will be more job openings next yr. I think WA has a hiring freeze this yr.

Unread 11-24-2010, 11:41 AM

4,925 posts, read 5,500,027 times
Nwbound, as a Spokane area boy who also has split time in TN (middle TN) for over 30 years now, I can tell you that there is no comparison in "cleanliness" or polluted-ness or whatever you want to call it between the two places.

It is far and away cleaner in WA, even with Hanford than any area of TN I'm aware of--air, water or land. Not that TN is a cess-pool by any stretch of the imagination, it's just that on this issue there is no comparison.

I think your concerns about Hanford are somewhat overblown.

(By the way, I was a career teacher and admin--have taught in both areas, as well as others. Every state I've worked in has done something better than any of the other places I've been.)

Unread 11-25-2010, 01:43 AM

16 posts, read 18,749 times
I know you're probably a pro-gov't minion being a state employed teacher and you don't want to hear this, but miners and foresters, by and large, do want to do what's right by the environment. Believe it or not, they're prevented from doing the right thing much of the time by bureaucrats who are employed by the EPA or other agencies. I couldn't believe it either when it was first told to me, but I've since heard that from so many unrelated sources it's finally sunk in. As for pollution, Spokane is one of the largest cities in these united states that does not add the highly poisonous toxic chemical stew commonly referred to as fluoride to their water supply and neither do any of the nearby towns I'm aware of. There is a lot of it flowing into people's nervous systems in MT and Western WA, however. As for Hanford, I wouldn't give it a second thought. This state is very cleaned up compared with many many others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington