U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 05:18 PM

371 posts, read 225,144 times
Yes please do close this thread as I only started it to find out if others had received there UI check this week. Yes I made a comment of my opinion about some Fed policies that I do not agree with and got slammed for being lazy along with 14 million other unemployed workers. Sad how bitter some employed people are because they are getting paid less to work than we are to sit home and play halo

Oh by the way Halo is for children, my game of choice is World of Warcraft

Old 11-30-2010, 05:19 PM

130 posts, read 168,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazertrek50 View Post
You are entitled to your opinion as narrow minded as it seems, but from surveys taken and the data gathered you would be incorrect in that assumption.
And where exactly is this data? I've watched two well paid title clerk lose their jobs. One is now a hair stylist who has the freedom to work on her own terms and the other will graduating from nursing school next year. The future nurse is currently working in a hospital as an orderly. Both of them were smart enough to realize they didn't want to be in a profession that suffered with the ups and downs of the economy.

Another family decided that commuting 150 miles each week for a job was preferable to being unemployed.

In this economy you have to be flexible and creative to stay employed. If not you run the risk of going from unemployment recipient to welfare recipient.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
And my counterargument:

You state for every job, there are 5 applicants. If you're unemployed for 99 weeks, and you do the minimum 3 resume submissions a week, that means over the span of that 99 weeks you have sent out 297 resumes, and have not been able to beat out 4 other applicants for a job even *one* time. And really, that's all you need to do - convince ONE employer that you are better than the other 4 people. At what point do you look in the mirror and decide that the problem is what's staring back at you? It's not like you need to hit 10 in a row. You need 1 out of 300. I get that for every person at the top, there has to be another person equally close to the bottom, but after 99 weeks, you should have done enough to pull yourself up out of the bottom to become one of those at the top.

And again, while politicians make plenty of money, if you were to add up the salaries of every member of Congress, it would be a drop in the bucket compared to other ancillary expenses. You wouldn't even dent anything by cutting their pay in half.

Like I said, it's real easy to sit in your recliner playing Halo telling me I should be on board with giving you another 6 months of unemployment benefits. But the reality is while I would rather be at home playing a game, I'm sitting in an office right now to keep my own lifestyle going, and a decent chunk of what I'm earning is being funneled away for those not contributing to the system to be able to play Halo and enjoy the other services provided. It's always easier to reach into someone else's pocket than to go into one's own. It's also real easy to claim that the system should be restructured so that you get what you want, at the expense of poking someone like me in the eye with a stick because there are less people like me than there are people like you.

And that's the reality. Enjoy that next check coming your way.
You sound so bitter? Is it because many who are receiving UI benefits make more than you do? You are also forgetting about the other millions of politicians that work at the State, County, and City levels. Why are you arguing with me about something I never brought up? I am for extending the benefits for those who have yet to reach the 99 weeks already established, not extending them longer, though I would not mind that .

Your math on the 5-1 job discussion is spurious. That is an average and my field is specialized so it is more like 100-1 that I get hired and three or four times I have made it in at number 2, which really counts the same as being number 100. Oh and I would imagine that I am as busy if not busier than you considering that I am attending University, which entails more than 40 hours per week, whereas you are typing on your computer (business owned) regarding something of a personal nature while at work

Kidding aside, our country is in a mess whether I get a degree and six figure job or not. We cannot continue to have the same policies and expect different results. Politicians for the most part are dirty and a serious change needs to happen to shake things up if my grand children are to have a chance at enjoying the fruits of their labor as Americans once did. When 10% of the people own 90% of the wealth in our country, something is rotten and it ain't in Denmark....

Old 11-30-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurran View Post
And where exactly is this data? I've watched two well paid title clerk lose their jobs. One is now a hair stylist who has the freedom to work on her own terms and the other will graduating from nursing school next year. The future nurse is currently working in a hospital as an orderly. Both of them were smart enough to realize they didn't want to be in a profession that suffered with the ups and downs of the economy.

Another family decided that commuting 150 miles each week for a job was preferable to being unemployed.

In this economy you have to be flexible and creative to stay employed. If not you run the risk of going from unemployment recipient to welfare recipient.
I agree with you that people need to be flexible and move if the new job requires that for example. The data I refer to is how by spending $65 billion on extending benefits (unemployed) until 12/31/11 the economy would fare better and that by cutting Bushes (and i voted for him) Tax Cuts would gain $265 billion. The problem you see is not with the deficit but with those that manage or rather mismanage it...Politicians.....

Old 11-30-2010, 06:08 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,886,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
And my counterargument: I would rather the money be spent on welfare programs for these people which will hopefully shame them into being more amenable to finding work under less than ideal conditions (lower pay, forced relocation, etc.) than I am to simply extending their benefits until their dream job comes along. The issue with the W tax cuts is that the majority of this country (the middle class) wants to extend them....but only for them. It's real easy to sit in the catbird seat and claim that you should keep your tax cuts (not you, per se, since you aren't working), but that those who worked the hardest and became the most successful should now be forced to wholly subsidize those at the bottom. Again, it's not unreasonable to take a stance of "if you're going to eliminate the cuts for some, eliminate the cuts for all".

You state for every job, there are 5 applicants. If you're unemployed for 99 weeks, and you do the minimum 3 resume submissions a week, that means over the span of that 99 weeks you have sent out 297 resumes, and have not been able to beat out 4 other applicants for a job even *one* time. And really, that's all you need to do - convince ONE employer that you are better than the other 4 people. At what point do you look in the mirror and decide that the problem is what's staring back at you? It's not like you need to hit 10 in a row. You need 1 out of 300. I get that for every person at the top, there has to be another person equally close to the bottom, but after 99 weeks, you should have done enough to pull yourself up out of the bottom to become one of those at the top.

And again, while politicians make plenty of money, if you were to add up the salaries of every member of Congress, it would be a drop in the bucket compared to other ancillary expenses. You wouldn't even dent anything by cutting their pay in half.

Lastly, you can claim that the system favors "the rich", but as a member of "the rich", I've got a couple of little facts for you:

1) 35% of my paycheck goes to my dear old Uncle Sammy right off the top. Most of that tax money goes to services I don't utilize. Then you add in my max-level contributions to Medicaid and Social Security (of which I'll never see a dime back on), etc.
2) The top 5% of earners in this country account for almost 65% of all tax revenue that's brought in. The middle 45% account for 35%, and the bottom 50% not only contribute nothing, but get paid to be there. That's not structured "in my favor". Just because "I can afford it" (a tax increase reducing the money I earn for working to pay for you to not work) doesn't mean I should "have to pay it". I can afford to buy a boat and sail to Antarctica while wearing a diamond-studded speedo. Doesn't mean I should.

Like I said, it's real easy to sit in your recliner playing Halo telling me I should be on board with giving you another 6 months of unemployment benefits. But the reality is while I would rather be at home playing a game, I'm sitting in an office right now to keep my own lifestyle going, and a decent chunk of what I'm earning is being funneled away for those not contributing to the system to be able to play Halo and enjoy the other services provided. It's always easier to reach into someone else's pocket than to go into one's own. It's also real easy to claim that the system should be restructured so that you get what you want, at the expense of poking someone like me in the eye with a stick because there are less people like me than there are people like you.

And that's the reality. Enjoy that next check coming your way.
mod cut:

Seriously. Your compassion could not fill a thimble.

When Warren Buffet pays 12% income tax, that pretty much shreds your "rich pay their fair share" argument. You can quote all the numbers until the cat pukes, but thaqt doesn't change the fact that real wages have been stagnat in the lower and middle classes while the rich have flourished at the expense of the rest of the country.

[SIZE=4]blo·vi·ate[/SIZE]

  /[SIZE=3]ˈbloʊviˌeɪt[/SIZE]/ Show Spelled[bloh-vee-eyt] Show IPA
–verb (used without object), ‐at·ed, ‐at·ing. to speak pompously.

Last edited by scirocco22; 11-30-2010 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 11-30-2010, 06:47 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,907,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazertrek50 View Post
Is it because many who are receiving UI benefits make more than you do? You are also forgetting about the other millions of politicians that work at the State, County, and City levels.
Re-read to see where I fall in the tax structure, sparky. And there are not millions of politicians. There are millions of government workers, but they aren't all politicians (or even most of them). Furthermore, the politicians working at the state, county and city levels draw their salaries from state budgets, not Federal.

Quote:
Your math on the 5-1 job discussion is spurious. That is an average and my field is specialized so it is more like 100-1 that I get hired and three or four times I have made it in at number 2, which really counts the same as being number 100.
If you were in a specialized field, the average would be less, not more. The jobs that receive the most applications are the ones the most people can do (push a button, drive a vehicle, sweep a floor, etc.). The positions that receive the fewest applicants are the specialized fields that few people understand.

Quote:
Oh and I would imagine that I am as busy if not busier than you considering that I am attending University, which entails more than 40 hours per week, whereas you are typing on your computer (business owned) regarding something of a personal nature while at work
Ya ended up stepping in it there, sparky. I'm in the hardware/security side of IT. I'm *always* going to school. It's basically part of my job description. I spend over 15 grand a year just on continuing education (this year, for example, it was VMWare school, F5 school, recertifying my CCIE, etc.). Bonus points for you completely whiffing on what my company's acceptable use policy is, as well.

Quote:
When 10% of the people own 90% of the wealth in our country, something is rotten and it ain't in Denmark....
So you're one of those wealth "redistribution" guys. Got it. Now that we've established that you think you're entitled to someone else's earnings because you're a unique little snowflake, we can end the conversation.

Oh, just for the record: If you go through the Seattle forums, you'll see a thread I made asking about my industry in Seattle in terms of job market. In the span of less than 1 week, a person who didn't even LIVE in Seattle (me) tossed out 6 resumes, and walked away with 4 job offers. I've turned down no fewer than a dozen in the 2 months since then. It literally took about 4 days to go from "thinking of quitting my 'working for' job and moving to Seattle" to "being gainfully employed in Seattle beyond the company I already own". How many years have you been without a job?

Yup, that job market sure is rough, sparky. Again, if you can't win out at least one time, check the mirror. Quit asking the rest of us to subsidize you.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:59 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,886,795 times
By definition, ANY change to the existing tax structure is "wealth redistribution"...

Ya know, the rich being so vociferiously defended by some here really don't give a rat's hinder about the unemployment extension. It's the tweeners and wannabes that are so angry, because they are right on that margin of being just thismuch better than everyone else, they are so afraid of losing their toehold and slipping back into *shudder* the unwashed masses.

AlohaHuey knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington