Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 05:59 PM

265 posts, read 720,526 times

Advertisements

I didn't realize the upload would be so slow but ours is 16mb down/ and up to 3mb, so maybe its about the same as PA? I know what we have is more than fast enough for what we need to do. And with the kids they download music, I upload HUGE FILES for my business and the kids all play world of warcraft which is HUGE amounts of data. I was wondering if anyone knows specifically about the internet in the Sequim area? We were completely leaning towards PA but after making contact with the football coat in Sequim we are really having to rethink this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 07:22 PM

576 posts, read 2,253,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslovettstailor View Post
I was wondering if anyone knows specifically about the internet in the Sequim area?
Most of the service in PA/Sequim is provided by the same company (Wave Broadband):

PA: Wave Broadband ~ Internet - Cable TV - Phone in Port Angeles, Washington

Sequim: Wave Broadband ~ Internet - Cable TV - Phone in Sequim, Washington

You'll notice that the internet speeds for DL and UL that Wave posts are the same for both towns. I've used the internet in Sequim at various locations and don't (practically speaking) find it much different from that at home in PA. Admittedly, I save all my large files to upload from the computers at my (out of town) office, at least as much as possible, as we have T1 lines wired there.

My $0.02: As you don't need to find a job locally given that you mentioned you work from home, pick the town that has the school program that your kids like the best. Internet in both places is very adequate for most applications.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:07 PM

5 posts, read 8,715 times
I am looking at Broadpipe right now and I have a service call with them scheduled for tomorrow. They are saying they can get me 15MB down and 2MB up which is the fastest I have seen available here in Port Townsend.

I started with Qwest (CenturyLink) and they sent me a damned DSL modem. Well, they said it would work then they said they had to schedule a tech to look at the wiring in my place. I canceled that. Next was Xinfinity who pretty much just lets you order stuff from their website without even letting you know about service capabilities.

So far Broadpipe has been the most upfront and honest so I am probably going to stick with them if they can at least get me 7MB down.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:56 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,144,538 times
Just wanted to update this thread. I had a tech from WAVE out a couple weeks ago to find out if I was ever going to be able to get a service tap so I could get cable here. Anyway...they offer 18 mps down right now in PT and early next year will have 50. I'm happy with the 10 I get from Qwest so I won't be upgrading (even I ever DO get cable here), but I remembered this thread and figured I'd update it. You could probably call WAVE and get a more precise timetable for its availability.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:04 AM

6,315 posts, read 6,958,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslovettstailor View Post
I too was looking in the Port Townsend are but after reading this article it seems it could be YEARS before it is widely available Talks portend high-speed Internet for all Jefferson residents -- Port Angeles Port Townsend Sequim Forks Jefferson County Clallam County Olympic Peninsula Daily news and since I have to have it for business we are going to have to look towards PA instead
I think the fiber build-out has come to a halt in Washington state thanks to former Governor Locke and his "obligations" to the cable and phone industry. Until the Legislature repeals his legislation what you see is what you get for fiber served by PUD's and municipal communities. And given the recent election results nothing will be changing in the next four years. Your at the mercy of the phone and cable companies if you do not have fiber now.

If you want high speed internet in Washington outside the urban areas, you pretty much limited to Chelan, Douglas and Grant counties. They all offer 100 up and 100 down service. Some areas also have 1Gbps service. They have also stopped the fiber build-out.

In Chelan County, they turned down a federal grant for the remaining 25% of county residents not served by fiber currently. Even with the grant the cost was just to high. The PUD's in these counties have surplus electricity sales to fund a fiber network. The network in Chelan County has cost 100 million dollars to date. For a county of 75,000 that's a lot of money.

Does the Jefferson County PUD generate their own electricity or do they buy from BPA? Because without that subsidy from surplus electric sales....fiber is toast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington