Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 05:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,666 posts, read 57,840,960 times

Advertisements

Cashmere is near Wenatchee, but a few miles closer to Mtns, so cooler and more vegetation.

Camas, Stevenson, White Salmon are all good options along the SW side of WA (next to sales tax free OR). Walla Walla / Waitsburg is one of my favorite places on east side, but you need to drive to the mountains, (20 minutes) and JOURNEY to the coast (6 hrs)

Poulsbo as mentioned, also Sequim (but more marine influence, little chance of snow)

I would not recommend the west coast of WA or nearby cities.

Olympia or maybe Eatonville would possibly work for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 12:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,259 times
As someone living in Sumas (within eyeshot of the border) I would honestly usher you closer towards Bellingham. Lynden at the absolute closest.
While housing here in Sumas is less expensive, there is no nightlife or social activity, 3 restaurants, very very few stores, and the stores that are here have hellish prices. I literally cross over to Canada to do shopping if I cant get to Bellingham, thats how bad shopping here is.
Lynden is between Sumas and Bellingham and (if you are ok with the church-in-every-corner atmosphere) is a stones throw from Bellingham but is a sweet and quiet little dutch area. It is quaint and calm and I secretly envision that all the neighbors know each other =)
We moved here last year from California and London, respectively, and I really do love living here in WA. My goal is to get us closer to Bellingham eventually, maybe even brave the Seattle area. Living in such a rural area can be difficult. You might also not be overly fond of the noisy truckdrivers coming through who stop overnight in the streets and leave their trucks running for heat... or the train conductors blowing whistles sometimes way too early in the morning.
The flipside to all that is generally temperate weather (in summer and winter both) and the windfall of bald eagles coming to nest during mating season. Gotta love these eagles, they were practically a myth growing up and now here they are flying past my window =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington