Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:06 AM

112 posts, read 273,433 times

Advertisements

Hello ~ I'm considering a retirement move to Sumas, WA. I've done the Google Earth and Best Cities review for basic info (weather /crime). What I'd really like to know is what the locals think about this tiny little boarder town. What insight do you have to share with me? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 02:40 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,649,491 times
It's podunkville. Smells of manure most days. The trains and trucks are noisy as hell. And the Russian mafia isn't far away. Closest decent stores are on the other side of the border.

Other than that it's fine.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
What are you looking for in a place to retire? If you want a very small, quiet town inland I'd suggest considering Winthrop. If you prefer salt water and mountains Poulsbo. Lots of woods and winter snow, Cle Elum.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:50 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
If you really are attracted to that particular area of Washington, I would suggest Lynden over Sumas. It a nicer , cleaner town IMO and it's just down the road.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:27 AM

Thank you to those who have already replied! I appreciate your input. When you want to learn about a place ask the locals because they know what they're talking about!!

My reason for Sumas is because I stumbled upon a house for sale there that suits me to a 'T' and its location being within my limited walking distance to necessities like grocery store, Post Office, bank, library, local doctor although hospital is in Bellingham 25 miles away, and church is a quick drive 3 miles up the road in Canada.

My reasons for moving to Washington state are because I want 4 seasons, I like all terrain from ocean to mountains ~ however; while the desert is an interesting place to visit I wouldn't want to live in the desert, I enjoy being outdoors (even though I'm limited in ability to hike distances I can do a short hike or picnic, etc), and would like a healthier life-style. Ideally I would like to live in /near a town that is up to 50,000 population, but if necessary would consider up to 100,000. I'm ready for a slower-paced life-style getting back to basics of friendly neighbors, smiling faces, and participating in community activities /programs. I'm a country gal at heart who has been stuck in the big city world and now it's time to get back to a natural invironment.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finernfrogfur View Post
My reason for Sumas is because I stumbled upon a house for sale there that suits me to a 'T' and its location being within my limited walking distance to necessities like grocery store, Post Office, bank, library, local doctor ... Probably very cheap too (Sumas tends to be inexpensive)

*...I want 4 seasons,
*terrain from ocean to mountains ..
*enjoy being outdoors ..., and
*a healthier life-style.
*Ideally I would like to live in /near a town that is up to 50,000 population,
*.. slower-paced life-style
*getting back to basics
*friendly neighbors, smiling faces, and
*participating in community activities /programs.

I'm a country gal at heart ...now it's time to get back to a natural invironment.
If you can deal with the wet climate as Sumas, I think you will be better off in Lynden (if you can infiltrate the local Dutch 'reformed' community. I have several friends there, as well as a few who moved, then left due to social difficulties).

Ferndale might work as well (probably too small) if you want closer access to water (less snow).

Bellingham has plenty to offer and a 'walkable' downtown.

Coming from the desert, I think you should certainly look into Wenatchee, as it has a great public transit system to the surrounding areas, Leavenworth (20 minutes) offers snow and fun tourist culture. Chelan (30 min by bus) has a great 'lakefront' culture, Wenatchee has some very nice riverfront recreation parks and walks, great culture offerings, medical and edu choices.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
I agree with Ferndale & Bellingham, but would also add Mt. Vernon and LaConner.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:22 PM

You are all giving me some great info ~ thanks!! I've got some new towns to check out.

Wenatchee isn't desert...is it? Don't want desert...to visit ok, but to live no. With a population of about 10,000 Ferndale sounds good. I've driven through Bellingham and liked how that area looked.
Overall it sounds like Washington is a friendly state. Besides finding out about any other great spots I should ask if there any places I should stay away from?

Old 01-30-2011, 03:51 PM

Wenatchee is not desert, it's still in the foothills with high areas looking down onto the river. It does get hot in the summer.

Rather than insult people that might live in places I consider undesirable, maybe it's best to have you just ask if you find a new place to consider. I will say that there are no WA cities on the "100 most dangerous cities" list. Also, Hanford has that old nuclear plant not yet cleaned up.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:49 PM

Good point bisjoe...thanks. Sorry, wasn't my intentions to insult anybody. I would still appreciate hearing about good places to live in Washington for those willing to share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington