Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:03 PM

2 posts, read 10,942 times

Advertisements

We are a family with 3 school aged kids moving to WA. My husband will be working in Lacey and I in Puyallup. Where will be the best place to live with the shortest commute for both of us and the best schools? Any advise is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 12:28 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
I can't say from experience on the schools (though I'd guess probably can have a good experience at either) but Lacey is the safer of the two cities with probably a bit less expensive housing and a bit lower population density.

The commute would likely be worse one time (morning or evening) than the other from either city but probably about even overall. It may come down to who needs to get back to the house fastest or hates being in traffic worse.

Another option would be to look at DuPont (at I-5 exit 119 I think) in between Lacey and Puyallup. Both would have a commute but shorter ones.

If you wanted rural you could look at Yelm. The commuting would shift to small backroads which may have advantages and disadvantages and I am not sure how that weighs out overall or for a particular driver.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:38 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,029 times
There is a housing glut in Puyallup, but I would only move there if you plan to spend 5-7 years in the house.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 10,942 times
thanks! how about lakewood and homes along gravelly lake drive? I heard the safety is questionable in that area?

Old 01-21-2011, 01:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Unfortunately the area between the jobs military base so no way to have a short commute each. I'd stick to Lacey, it's not only a better and safer area than Lakewood but recently started to grow with more shopping and entertainment options. We go down there once in a while to hit Cabella's.

If you take a drive on I5 through Dupont to Lacey then on to Olympia I think you will visually determine that Lacey is the best place to live in that area. Unfortunately the stretch of I5 for the commute to Puyallup is about the worst traffic in the state but one of you will have to do it.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:13 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
I agree with bisjoe. Lacey would be my choice. Good schools and convenient to everything. Depending on where you'd be living in Lacey and where you work in Puyallup, you can avoid the mess on I-5 bisjoe is referring to by taking a local route on the east side of JBLM.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:18 PM

7 posts, read 39,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
There is a housing glut in Puyallup, but I would only move there if you plan to spend 5-7 years in the house.
Aloha Huey,

What is a housing glut? Sorry, I'm young and new to all this!

Thanks!

Old 01-31-2011, 11:21 PM

7 posts, read 39,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
I agree with bisjoe. Lacey would be my choice. Good schools and convenient to everything. Depending on where you'd be living in Lacey and where you work in Puyallup, you can avoid the mess on I-5 bisjoe is referring to by taking a local route on the east side of JBLM.
Thanks! I'm also looking at Lacey and this information is great! If you go on Lacey's city website you'll notice that they're a lot more involved. Great parks and entertainment for sure! The backroads are definitely a plus to JBLM.

Would you agree Lacey over Spanaway?

Old 02-01-2011, 10:33 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,137,763 times
I'd vote for Lacey, too. The communte will not be pleasant between Lacey and Puyallup no matter in which of the two cities you end up living, unless you decide to live somewhere in between. In that case either Dupont or Lakewood would be good choices. Lakewood is a mixed bag, so pick your neighborhood carefully. In Dupont you won't have to worry about any wrong side of the tracks areas.
Good Luck!

Old 02-02-2011, 04:39 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
By housing glut I'd guess Aloha Huey probably meant more sellers of homes than buyers so only buy there if you are going to stay awhile and hopefully see an improved sellers market eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington