U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 07:51 PM

265 posts, read 316,763 times
First of all I don't count Seattle in any of this because you live in a big city it costs alot, NYC, Chicago... all astronomical now matter which you choose.

I had been in several areas in WA during the summer and found fuel prices were pretty close to us, groceries the same, rent the same, insurance, dry goods, all pretty much the same with very little exception so I had assumed since residents kept repeating WA had a higher cost of living to anyone expressing a wish to move there that this had to come down to property taxes

Now reading this I just don't get it Is it that you all love your state so much you don't want anyone else to come there ? I live in Michigan, and previously lived in a small albiet nice city here, right in the middle. Not near water or anything extraordinary and our taxes were around $12,000 each year. So I keep hearing this REPEATEDLY and having been all over and to your state in many different areas to compare I just do not see this....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 05:05 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,430,424 times
Just curious, you say Knoxville lacks activities. Like what? You are right by the Smoky Mountains. I can't imagine being bored there. Seattle is pretty but Eastern Tenn aint no slouch.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:14 AM

3 posts, read 3,131 times
DON'T DO IT! Seriously a horrible horrible state! I have lived here 13 years, and I am dying to get out! I think the only thing holding this place together is the boeing company. The crime is pretty bad. There have been soo many cop shootings recently (cops shooting people for no reason, and people shooting cops for no reason) Everyone is super rude, the schools are horrible! My mom actually pulled my brother out of school because of how bad it was. There are no jobs, the cost of living is insane, and state funding is constantly being cut. I would definately find another option. I wish I never would have moved here. The only reason I have stayed is because my step daughter lives here.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:17 AM

5,462 posts, read 6,032,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslovettstailor View Post
First of all I don't count Seattle in any of this because you live in a big city it costs alot, NYC, Chicago... all astronomical now matter which you choose.

I had been in several areas in WA during the summer and found fuel prices were pretty close to us, groceries the same, rent the same, insurance, dry goods, all pretty much the same with very little exception so I had assumed since residents kept repeating WA had a higher cost of living to anyone expressing a wish to move there that this had to come down to property taxes

Now reading this I just don't get it Is it that you all love your state so much you don't want anyone else to come there ? I live in Michigan, and previously lived in a small albiet nice city here, right in the middle. Not near water or anything extraordinary and our taxes were around $12,000 each year. So I keep hearing this REPEATEDLY and having been all over and to your state in many different areas to compare I just do not see this....
This post is... egocentric. It's good that you found a place with similar COL to where you're from. But... quite frankly compared to a lot of places in the US, Seattle does have a higher COL. There's no beating around the bush with that.

The OP is from E. TN. (My father is currently living in Middle TN and believe me, they definitely got a waaay lower COL than we do.) If the OP was from California... Boston... NYC... et. c-- no one would be harping on about the COL. What they would do is point out the differences, like for example, one recent thread it was mentioned that Seattle/Wa has a much higher food cost than California does.

There's a lot of posters (me included) that been living here for a long time. There is definitely annoyance from long-time residents about how things are done here.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
This post is... egocentric. It's good that you found a place with similar COL to where you're from. But... quite frankly compared to a lot of places in the US, Seattle does have a higher COL. There's no beating around the bush with that.

The OP is from E. TN. (My father is currently living in Middle TN and believe me, they definitely got a waaay lower COL than we do.) If the OP was from California... Boston... NYC... et. c-- no one would be harping on about the COL. What they would do is point out the differences, like for example, one recent thread it was mentioned that Seattle/Wa has a much higher food cost than California does.

There's a lot of posters (me included) that been living here for a long time. There is definitely annoyance from long-time residents about how things are done here.
You must of missed that part where I said NOT COUNTING SEATTLE?? You cannot compare someplace with one stoplight to a big city like that so of course Seattle would be more expensive, I was speaking in general terms, which is why I said NOT Seattle. However on the list of big cities Seattle is not as expensive as say NYC or Chicago. You live in the big city you get big city prices. So yes Seattle is more expensive than nowhere Tennesee but not the rest of the world

So far I have not seen a post on this forum where anyone has mentioned they are moving to WA, whether seattle or someplace like Port Townsend, where people have not been all over them about the cost of living. And not in a nice way either. If us prospective residents were to believe everything on this forum we would have to conclude that WA is the only place it rains, has bad weather during the winter, is cloudy and snows. As well as having bad drivers, a crappy government, and no jobs. And whenever someone says "Yes, I am used to that from where I live now" people JUMP ALL OVER THEM with a "Well its not like it is here, come here and see if you say that then." Now THAT is egocentric.

And I will say it again, though I am sure someone will jump all over me for it, I am in MI and we are in the middle of the COL (where I am at being even lower because it is mostly rural) and I did not find even Seattle to be more expensive, with the exception of housing, BUYING not necessarily renting as I even saw places to rent in Seattle that were comparable to price/size/neighborhoods as here. Groceries were right on (the only exception we found was when we went to Forks, and that was just crazy), Fuel was about 5cents higher, and restaurants were about the same. Fast food places were right on with better places being a bit above unless say we drove down to Detroit to dine at someplace comparable. And now I see that property taxes are comparable as well, which is where I figured this huge difference in COL was coming from but aparently not. We ARE different in that we do have a MUCH lower minimum wage which we get to pay state taxes on so I think WA comes out ahead on this one.

And I am sure that WA has its issues and probably alot of them that have been posted here but so does every other state. People are pretty much the same all over and so are the problems. I imagine its alot like being married to the same person forever--after a while you forget why you fell in love in the first place

Old 03-20-2011, 05:44 PM

5,462 posts, read 6,032,333 times
I didn't miss that part. Its just more often than not, when people talk about moving to Western WA... they're talking about moving to the greater Seattle area/MSA (From Everett down to Olympia) with a smaller percentage going to Bellingham or Vancouver.

I've seen numerous posts where someone ask about living in Chehalis, Ephrata, Moses Lake, even Spokane, its definitely mentioned that COL is affordable/lower than Seattle. So I'm not sure why you're trying to paint it otherwise. But if you're wondering why Seattleites like to "put down" the area and go on about how horrible Seattle is, its simply called the Lesser Seattle movement.

I've only mention the egocentricity because you keep coming into posts comparing to where you're from. Like for example, when I was talking about Bellingham having higher gas prices than state average... you brought up one line about MI (your area) being similar to the WA average. That was odd, which was why I asked if the OP was considering MI as well.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:10 PM

I brought up the gas price because others were talking about the national average or it being so much higher in WA then everywhere else. And the posts I have mentioned anything on are about people asking about prices as compared to the rest of the country. I use where I am from because it is considered to be LOW cost of living yet the prices were close or same as Seattle area, so its an example. Because as someone who was doing their research and trying to be the best informed I could be before making the decision to move, I like to share what I learned as I feel it is an unbiased opinion, and one i would have liked to have when I was searching for information on here--it is not my overblow sense of ego because I like to read what I typed.

And I think I have read almost every thread on here in the last 6 months having to do with relocating and I will say without a doubt consistently there is the "everything is horrible here, you will never be able to handle it or afford it from where you are coming from, you just don't understand and must not be good enough" attitude. And you can say this isn't but that is often the feeling people get. I get alot PM's from people who have read my responses because they are usually positive about relocating/affording to relocate there (though you may think they are argumentative or egotistical) and ask me what my take was on the area as a non-resident, because the above impression that is given is that residents don't want outsiders moving in there.

There are of course there are some really nice people who have posted and helped, they always seem to be the same people and they give a wealth of very well thought out, kind information. So thanks to you all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington