Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 05:23 PM

3 posts, read 9,485 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all your responses.

In terms of the leftiness of Olympia, that's not an obstacle for me...I'm about as left-leaning as you can get in this country and so I don't consider that a drawback. And what I sensed very well might have been just the whole weekend in the summer thing...but the college town where I'm coming from, the summers are laid-back and quiet, but cheerful. There isn't a lot going on, but there's nothing oppressive about the quiet -- olympia was different. I'm sure the numerous (obvious) drunks and homeless contributed to that sense.

I wouldn't say that Seattle is out, but I think I'm just not the city person I used to be. I'm in Seattle as I write this, and there are just a lot of obstacles to living here for me, psychologicaly. People don't look you in the eye when you pass them in the street. Everyone seems to be in a terrible hurry to get everywhere. And, worst of all, in the 6 months I've spent in this city over the course of 5 years, I have yet to make a single friend here: the only person I know here is another transplant who I knew before she moved here (and she's been here for 2 years, and the only other friend *she* has in Seattle is someone she knew before they moved here). I'm not even talking about the alleged "freeze"...there just don't seem to be any opportunities to meet people without deliberately and artificially setting out to "meet people" (singles groups, hobby groups, etc.), and those things just aren't my preference. I'm not terribly anti-social...most other places I've been, I've made friends within days, if not hours, of showing up in town. But I can't seem to crack the Seattle nut.

And then there's the winters...

As far as eastern Wa, I don't know if I'd really want to live there. I'm sure there are lots of nice places out there, and certainly nicer weather in the winter, but a major catalyst for my move was the desire to be near a major cultural center (particularly a place which has a fairly good music scene), and while Spokane has a decent population, it does not, to my knowledge, have a great music scene, and it certainly doesn't see many of the sorts of bands pass through which I would like to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 12:51 PM
KLW

14 posts, read 57,299 times
We recently moved to Olympia after 11 yrs in various Seattle areas, and we really like it. It's nice to be in a city, with oh-so-many things to do (free concerts, Farmer's Market, great art scene, tons of cont ed classes, good gyms / Y, lots of parks and trails, etc etc), but yet have that small town feel. I would agree that downtown seems at first glance a bit rough around the edges, but I definitely feel more at ease here than in some places of Seattle. It's also much busier during the week than on a Sunday right now. The store owners / clerks downtown have all been exceedingly helpful when I've come in exploring after we moved, and everyone I've met here is super friendly, kind, and helpful....much more outgoing and communicative than I found in the Seattle area. I think if you're left-leaning (as you mentioned), like diversity, and want some culture without the "crush" of Seattle, you'd like Olympia. And the traffic is practically nonexistant here compared to Seattle!

After rereading your prior post, just wanted to add that if you're coming from the East Coast (we came from the Midwest), you can console yourself that at least it's not 20 below zero here in the winter! Buy some great rain gear from REI, grab some friends, and in the winter, still go do whatever you do in the summer....my dogs get walked three times a day, every day, not just when it's not raining....you just make it work. (It helps in our family if we go find sun on vacation in February also.)

And also adding that "cracking the Seattle nut" (as you wrote) is definitely hard IMO, but I have not found that in Olympia at all. Since we recently moved here, I've been repeatedly saying that it's nice to be around friendly people again that actually call and agree on a meeting time / date vs. just being polite and saying yeah, we should do that, like, again IMO, I found in Seattle.

Happy searching for "your place!"

Last edited by KLW; 07-28-2007 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: added more info

Old 07-28-2007, 03:52 PM

559 posts, read 2,115,273 times
Have you checked out Kitsap County yet? A lot of people here live on this side (because it's so much nicer) but work in Seattle. Perhaps you should check out Kitsap County?

Old 07-28-2007, 06:24 PM

3 posts, read 9,485 times
Any suggestions on where to live/check out in Kitsap then? I've always thought Bainbridge Island was a nice place, but it seems expensive. Where else?

Old 07-28-2007, 07:07 PM

19 posts, read 82,996 times
Olympia is so boring. My family relocated for hubby's job. Been here since 2000 and am looking to move. WA is okay but don't care of the weather. Good luck.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:25 PM

559 posts, read 2,115,273 times
Smile Yes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by InambaGuum View Post
Any suggestions on where to live/check out in Kitsap then? I've always thought Bainbridge Island was a nice place, but it seems expensive. Where else?
Poulsbo is very close to Bainbridge, and there are affordable homes there. Silverdale is nice as well and has lots of shopping. Seabeck is a bit far out but is very, very lovely (that's where we live). Manette is in East Bremerton; it is an artsy community but quite affordable and very near the hospital. A lot of people like Port Orchard as well. Just about anywhere in Kitsap County is good; even West Bremerton, which is our poorest area (it is where the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard is) is making a comeback; they have done extensive renovations to the downtown area and continue to do so. You should drive over and look around.

As far as affordable homes, look in Seabeck; we are only 20 minutes away from Silverdale, which is where the main shopping is for Kitsap County, yet there are lots of lovely though reasonably affordable options here. Put Seabeck in on the realtor site and take a look.

Last edited by brightcopperkettles; 07-28-2007 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: Additional information

Old 07-29-2007, 12:36 PM

534 posts, read 3,110,267 times
InambaGuum,

Based on your feedback, you really should check out Portland. It doesn't have the rush-rush feel of Seattle and is much more laid back.

IMO the music scene is way better there for me because bands I like to see seem to pass through there more often, but for whatever reason, avoid Seattle. Every once in a while Tacoma gets music that I like (Hells Kitchen), but it's still not on the level of Portland.

Other things off the top of my head - If you ski, Oregon wins hands down. Camping - Oregon, Beaches - Oregon, socialability of people - Oregon.

Outside of Bellingham, what you're looking for doesn't really exist in Western WA (Olympia being said), and even WWU doesn't sound like it would have the energy levels you're looking for. Anything on the WA peninsula would probably be way too boring for you (it is for me but I prefer this area because I have a family and it's affordable).

I'm not sure Portland has the college element you're looking for, but in most other areas I think you might like it.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:00 PM

19 posts, read 82,996 times
I agree. Downtown Olympia is nothing to look at. It is lame and depressing.
So is the rest of Olympia and Lacey.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 6,232 times
Default That's too bad....

Sorry to hear about Olympia protesting people in the military. Even if you don't agree with the mission they have been given, it doesn't diminish the sacrifice they are making.

I was actually considering that area for my retirement, but that is enough to put me off.

Is Olympia unique in this regard or is this consistent with the area?

Old 07-30-2007, 12:37 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,632,569 times
Other areas such as the port of Tacoma have had many more protests than Olympia...

Olympia has a small International Port and moving the cargo from just a few ships can make or break the port's yearly budget.

Recently, the port conducted a trail run on the logistics of moving military supplies. I believe the ship was the largest or one of the largest ever serviced in Olympia.

A lot of planning went into the details and the port did a very impressive job. The military was considering several shipments a year which would have been a boon to the local economy.

From what I understand, most of the Protesters were NOT local... and many people found their actions appalling... It made national news because, a prominent local elected official gave the protesters his blessing and Olympia is the Capital.

The area is home to both active and retired military and I felt badly that the actions of a few cast the city so negatively... I also don't understand why the city eventually dropped all charges against those arrested... I support peaceful protest, but it was not peaceful.

Supporting the troops to me does not mean preventing shipment of critical supplies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington