Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 12:19 AM

7 posts, read 39,435 times

Advertisements

I'm a native Southern Californian who moved to Washington 6 months ago and I am THRILLED with Washington drivers, after almost losing my life on a daily basis driving in California, and not just on the freeways but on residential streets. I had almost given up driving in Cali, it had become so terrifying...road ragers, tail gaters, speeders on a daily basis...and oh, yeah, having to strategize how long it would take to drive maybe 15 miles (answer: at least an hour except after midnight). Drivers are not perfect here but for the most part seem to be safe, courteous and SANE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 07:32 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_mia_sea View Post
I agree with the poster above --- Florida driving, in particular South Florida driving, is some of the ABSOLUTE worst I've encountered. Driving in Washington is a breeze compared to the craziness of South Florida drivers (especially during rush hour).
I've speculated that part of our problem here in TN is the influx of Florida transplants, because it seems everyone I see on the forums who moved from Florida always says the drivers there are the worst. Not that native Tennessee drivers are great, but combining the two different driving styles on the same roads might be a recipe for disaster. It seems most drivers here either drive waaay under the speed limit or waaay over. And I haven't seen a turn signal in ages. And I'm not just talking about during lane changes, I mean I haven't see any at all, except my own. The drivers I saw in WA were turn-signal-crazy in comparison.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:37 PM

265 posts, read 722,436 times
Its funny how different places have their little quirks. Here a Michigan favorite is to slooow down at a green light, but then when it turns yellow they step on it so they don't get caught by the red. drives me crazy. And I still have yet to convince my father that a turn signal isn't purely ornamental

Old 03-13-2011, 05:24 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
The split is more pronounced by urban/rural drivers.

I had an urban driver drive next to me on I-90 for 50 miles. There was no traffic and I guess he was lonely. I finally had to take an ramp to get rid of him.

I was driving on ice and everybody was a couple of hundred yards apart and doing 20 mph when a Seattle driver blew by us all in the fast lane. I caught him as he was walking out the restroom at the rest area. "Aren't you driving kinda fast?" I commented. His reply was brief and to the point "It is still posted 70MPH".

Having just driven throughout the western US.....the worst drivers in a two way tie between Bakersfield and Stockton. Or are we just talking about licensed drivers??

Followed closely by Sacramento and Seattle. Best urban drivers Phoenix and Portland.

Best Civil Engineering college in the west is the University of Arizona, judging by the road system.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:54 PM

59 posts, read 158,421 times
I moved here from San Diego and the driving is definitely a source of frustration here in Anacortes. I know I am living rural currently vs urban-living while in San Diego, but the slow life here exhibited by the majority of drivers really test my patience. My biggest annoyance is how drivers will pull up to a stop sign at least 5 seconds ahead of me while I am slowing to a stop. They will then stay stopped like a deer in headlights and finally decide to proceed after we are both stopped way longer than needed. I have been tempted to quickly stop and go when I forsee this happening, to avoid waiting for those scared to make it pass the intersection, but I surely don't need to bring attention to myself in a smaller community.

I also think the posted speed limits seen throughout WA are 5-10 MPH lower than comparable roads in CA. This likely impacts some of the driving differences I have seen in my time here thus far.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:01 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times
My commute into Bellingham tests my patience on a daily basis, canadian trucks, socker moms, and grey haired grannys that are good for 5-10 under the speed limit, and school buses that stop every 100 yards to pluck a kid from an SUV idling at the end of a driveway despite the house being visible from the road. Then theres the odd Californian implant which has obviously never seen open road before. No matter your speed they are up your rear.
It seems like 1/2 the drivers are just "out of it"...
I took a trip out of state awhile back and was surpised how "with it" drivers were in area's we visited...over 1600 miles put on during the trip with no incidentsor close calls. Upon returning to Bellingham a few days later, I had a canadian pull a u-turn in front of me from the FAR RIGHT LANE going the opposite direction, a Lincoln pull out of Burger King in front of me which I avoided by swerving into the turn lane, and an idiot that ran the left turn signal and made me jam on the brakes narrowly avoiding another accident...all within ONE AFTERNOON the day we got back. Yes I'm definately back home!

Dubdpt, we have many roads that are too slow. I think these are known as "revenue" to the local police departments.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:38 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I visited Washington for a week, and when I got back to Tennessee the traffic here seemed like utter chaos in comparison.
Seriously. I've been traveling quite a bit across the US in the last couple of months.

So far Houston Drivers are the worse. They blatantly cut you off, don't use signals, turn left on Red, tailgate, twice the posted speed limit. And the worse part is that it's all on purpose.

Miami is pretty bad too, they do the same things but it's obvious that it's more accidental and not on purpose.

Charlotte just had dumb drivers who don't pay attention to signs. They'll actually STOP in the middle of an intersection trying to figure out what a sign or light means. I almost re-ended one yesterday as she did that.

I'm so glad to get back to the Northwest where drivers are at least following the signs and laws and are going to move predictably.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:36 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
The worst in my opinion is when people change lanes for no apparent reason. For example, I'm cruising, going 60, in the middle lane, behind someone else at a good distance. Then someone in some eco-box going 45 SWERVES into my lane. I have to slam on my brakes, and pass him on the left.

So I wanted to see what was going on in his lane, thinking there might be a wreck or something.

No. Clear. Nobody coming for miles.

Maybe I should have just rammed him. But then I'd be at fault for "driving too closely."

Whenever I encounter a "wall" of idiots going 55 in all lanes, I simply go onto the HOV lane temporarily. I don't have patience for such idiocy.

But the flip side is, whenever you want to change lanes, people actually let you here.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:42 PM

48 posts, read 87,487 times
Even I am annoyed by Washington drivers, and I am a lifelong Washingtonian. I think that the worst thing we do here is get passive/aggressive. Notice I say "we", because I am not 100% perfect all the time either, and I can admit that. The thing that bothers me the most is that if I am going 60mph (which is 5mph OVER on the stretch of Highway 101 that I commute on), there will always be some jerk in an awful raised pickup truck riding me. It pretty much never fails. But when people drive 5-10mph UNDER the limit, they get offended when you pass them and begin to tailgate you. Tailgating is BAD here.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:09 AM

3 posts, read 5,723 times
Oh my gosh I agree 100%! I have lived here for 13 years now, and the drivers here are the worse! They are extremely rude, there is tons of traffic, and nobody seems to know the rules of the road. Seriously everyday I get in my car I see like 50 people who make me ask myself "how in the world did they get their license?" I want out of this state sooo bad! I HATE it here. Worst people I have ever met. And not just drivers, but the people in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington