Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:54 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,627,481 times

Advertisements

I have both (Not at the same property)

I treasure my well because the water is very good.

On a monthly basis, the cost of using well water is extremely low. I did have to spend $3000 a few years back for a new pump... the original was installed around 1975.

If I had city water, my monthly costs would increase dramatically...

In the best of both worlds, I would like to have a great well and be on city sewer vs septic.

There have been so many regs coming down on Septic and I think it will only get worse overtime.

Easy enough to get a water report for the well and I would never buy without a full septic report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 08:53 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,920,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I have both (Not at the same property)
I treasure my well because the water is very good.
On a monthly basis, the cost of using well water is extremely low. I did have to spend $3000 a few years back for a new pump... the original was installed around 1975.
If I had city water, my monthly costs would increase dramatically...
In the best of both worlds, I would like to have a great well and be on city sewer vs septic.
There have been so many regs coming down on Septic and I think it will only get worse overtime.
Easy enough to get a water report for the well and I would never buy without a full septic report.
Thank you for those 2 recommendations!

Old 03-18-2011, 01:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,678 posts, read 57,964,398 times
Oh yes, certainly a good well is preferred to a city / public system. (cost and quality of water)

BUT, be sure it is a good well (Volume, quality, equipment)
It is in compliance with regs
It is adequately protected (neighboring factory (for 5 miles) is not a Chrome Plating shop, Dry Cleaner, auto junkyard, or a landfill)
It is DEEP enough and in a good aquifer
It has been installed properly and the first 50 ft sealing in Bentonite (to protect from ground water infiltration)
You have a 'pit-less' adaptor (to allow ALL piping to be at least 2ft under ground in WESTERN WA. More in Eastern region (below frost level))
You have a proper pressure system (80+ gal tank to keep pump from cycling)
You size your sprinklers and such to meet flow of pump (You want to keep pump running ~ 50 psi, rather than cycling on and off)
You have adequate shut-offs and pump protection (in cases of leak)
You know where everything is (lines, wires, relay box, pressure switches ...)
You keep a few spares on hand (a $2 capacitor can save you a $100 service call)
You know how to operate and maintain
You have water tested on occasion (annually), just in case there is a neighbor dumping solvents in the aquifer.

Regarding purity.... nature does a pretty good job when left to do it properly.
Underground aquifers are nature's 'filters' (sand, rock, dirt, organic minerals...)
and far surpass man's feeble attempts to replicate.

On the Septic, Do get an inspection (required for financing, and annually by many Health agencies and counties). A proper Septic is very trouble free as long as you maintain it correctly. I have a 16 yr old system that has never been pumped, and hopefully never will. It has only 6" of sludge (which decomposes). I have seen tanks with 4' of sludge, that is very messy and indication of dumping too much of the wrong 'stuff' down the drain. No septic treatment chemicals are needed, just common sense (no / minimal disposal use). If you get the system pumped, or feel you want to help it, use a dose of buttermilk to give it some enzymes / Bacteria.
Install an outlet filter (or use a silk stocking)on Septic tank. You don't want particulate flowing into drainfield.

Keep the drainfield area clear (of grazing LARGE animals, driveways, buildings...)

You can get a 'self study' booklet (to install your own Septic) from WA DOH and it is a very helpful tool to understand functionality.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:10 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,920,894 times
Thank you, StealthRabbit, for all the details and suggestions! Very helpful!

Old 03-18-2011, 04:33 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,431,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
You guys are making having a well sound like such an expensive problem.

Wells provide better water than city water supplies and contain no nasty chemicals.
Not true everywhere. People in the Eastern half of the state are having issues with contaminated wells right now.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:56 PM

265 posts, read 722,122 times
All I can say is get yourself a generator I live in MI and we get alot of high winds off of the bay that knocks the power out so no power=no water

Old 03-19-2011, 10:41 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,627,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslovettstailor View Post
All I can say is get yourself a generator I live in MI and we get alot of high winds off of the bay that knocks the power out so no power=no water
Yes... good advice.

Had a huge storm a few years back and power was out the better part of a week.

The little Honda provided the well with power and lights for the house and kept the refrigerator cold.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:51 PM

129 posts, read 352,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
Thanks for the explanation!
I suppose the source of one's water can vary widely, but what- if anything - purifies the water, or rather, makes it drinkable?
My water is purified by 160 feet of basalt. It's drinkable right out of the well. Tastes better than most city water as well. I did live in an area where the well water tasted funky, but a britta filter took care of that.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:04 PM

10 posts, read 14,705 times
I just went through tons of well-woes to get me where I am closer to needing to be. First, you need a test...not the state minimum for two or three things that make it minimally drinkable without killing you, but EVERYTHING that may cause problems later. My water flows well (18 gpm), and it is Artisian, but it has iron, manganese, and sulphates...which means it smells, it makes clothes and sinks/toilets yellow, and it plugs filters several times a month with black fine stuff. Safe to drink, yes...but not so fun. The original owner had a huge pressure/holding tank system, and he chlorinated the well by injection. BAD idea. The chlorine wrecked the bladder in the tank, from which particulates clogged everything. I fixed the pump system and trashed the jury-rigged components, for 3k. Now, I am having a filtration system added for 5k...which has a chlorinator then a medium with charcoal/husks to remove the chlorine after it does its thing. The thing you need to consider is that water softeners produce a great deal of brine/salt that gets dumped either in your gutters or in your septic system (both bad). RO has an 80% rejection rate, so all that water goes to septic, and you have to replace the membrane a lot. Ultraviolet kills germs, but the tube gets clogged and the bulb can burn out...so chlorine is about the best way to kill bad things.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 901 times
How come no one is talking about where the water comes from? It doesn't just magically appear, it comes from groundwater that comes from streams and rivers, which came from rain. Keep in mind that Since Sequim doesn't get as much rain as other areas in Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington