Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 01:19 PM

17 posts, read 41,085 times

Advertisements

Hello all- Just looking for any and all information about the Centralia,Wa area. We would be moving from Tennessee, but are native Californian's. From what I have been able to find, Centralia looks pretty small. Can anyone provide info on what areas/cities that we could consider living in for a job in Centralia. We are a family with children, so good schools are important.

Also, if you wouldn't mind giving a general overview of the area- good/bad points, general weather conditions during the year,anything notable, etc. I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 07:09 PM

6 posts, read 13,000 times
You don't want to live in Centralia, unless you like the sticks and Republicans.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:51 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
If you are originally from California, think Centralia is small, are concerned about school quality and especially if there is just one spouse working in Centralia and if they are willing to commute, then I'd suggest considering living in or near the Littlerock area about 15 miles north. The schools are supposed to be relatively good. You'd be nearer to Olympia for various services & activities.

There is various information you can wade thru here
http://www.city-data.com/city/Centralia-Washington.html
including weather. The short version of the weather is rainy but pretty mild from late fall to spring with a few winter storms. Summer is mostly dry and pleasant. Centralia is reportedly above average on crime. There are some links to earlier Centralia threads there too.

Another option could be Napavine- if you'd consider living in a small town. There schools are supposed to be pretty good too for their size and it is reportedly about average or a bit lower on crime.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:14 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
If you are looking to buy a house in Centralia/Chehalis, make sure the real estate agent is clear in understanding that you are indeed serious. Otherwise, you'll be driving around by yourself and peeking in windows and such.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:16 PM

850 posts, read 3,715,277 times
What made you decide Centralia? I'll be honest, most people aren't flocking to move there.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:33 AM

Sobefobik- We aren't choosing to move there, as of right now there is a possibility of relo to that area with the job being in Centralia. Not being familiar with the area, I am looking to get information that if this relo happens, what areas are best to consider moving to that would be a commutable distance for work, but offer a good community, schools, living. Thanks for any further help you can be.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:44 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,137,763 times
If you consider Centralia too small, then I would suggest living in Tumwater / Olympia. Here you'll have good schools, shopping amenities, more cultural events etc.
Centralia has come a long way and has a quaint train station, antique shops and a community college that offers occasional concerts and plays.
One of my clients who relocated from the East Coast to take a job in the medical field in Centralia, at first considered living in Centralia, but changed her mind and bought a home in Tumwater. Her commute to work was 25 minutes. With the cost of gas and the higher home prices in the Olympia metro area this came at a higher expense, but she never regretted it.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I would consider how good of a job this is, as often employers draw you to a smaller town, and treat you poorly knowing you have few options. Living closer to Olympia is good advice IF Centralia won't work (it does have its issues, as does anywhere).

Age and activities of kids, previous municipalities (size / activity / demographic) that you are comfortable with, future perceived needs, cost of living ... all will be a part of the formula.

This is good advice
Quote:
near the Littlerock area about 15 miles north. The schools are supposed to be relatively good.
I have a friend near Offutt lake SE of Olympia and they like that area. Yelm can be very nice too, you are probably gonna have to find someone your age / need that lives in the area (and enjoys it) and have them help you decide on a specific location.

I have friends who really like Eatonville too, but I would not be adding to the commute if possible.

If you have kids near High School Age, you might want to be near a Jr College so they can attend a Running Start program instead of High School. (Centralia would work for this).

Where in TN are you leaving?, I'm interested in going that direction.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:41 AM

StealthRabbit- Thanks for the helpful information. As far as moving out there, it's still a long shot,but something that is still in the process. I'm simply the type of person who likes to gather as much info if I don't know much about the situation to be best prepared if we need to make a decision.

Right now we live in the Nashville area of Tennessee. It is really a wonderful area of the country. If this is where you are considering coming to, let me know and I can answer any questions you might have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington